Pssst…

Have all the broken feeds at Bloglines this week made you a little twitchy?  I was a little confused for a few days why no one seemed to be updating, until I realized it was a feed issue with Bloglines.  And oh, the horror of having to actually check up on my favorites the old-fashioned way–with a (*shudder*) manual click.  It’s like the Middle Ages.  Except, you know, without the pillaging.

I finally have switched over to Google Reader, after hearing about it for so long.  Even though I feel like I’m cheating on my boyfriend (Bloglines and I go waaaaay back), I have to say I’m loving the new digs.  Google Reader is way more intuitive and easier to organize than my old temperamental friend Bloglines.  You might want to check it out.  (And if you have no idea what I’m talking about, you can read more about feed readers here.)

57 thoughts on “Pssst…

1. cathy d says:

I love google reader! I haven’t been a blogger on blogger for long and I kep tmissing updates and such too. I was glad I finally tried google reader b/c it keeps me from missing anything (like the updates you post ;-))!

2. Em says:

I’m still new to all of this. I’ve been told not to worry, and that I’ll have a stat counter and be introduced to the 12-step program any day now.
    LOVE this place!
    Em

3. Holly @ Crownlaiddown says:

Alas, I a reader-less…mailnly because it would drive me crazy to be behind on one more thing.
    I got Compassion’s magazine in the mail yesterday and saw your article and pictures. I was SO PROUD of you all!! What a blessing you all have shared.
    Have a wonderful week, Shannon!

4. Christy says:

I’ve been using Google Reader for quite a long time now and I love it. It’s so easy to organize and skim. I even like their mobile version (m.google.com/reader).

5. Jean@workingmomma247 says:

I’m a two timing, no good for nothin..wait what? I actually do use both Google Reader and Bloglines. I have GR on my main Google page so I can do a quick glance at who’s updated. When I’m ready to go full force on the blog reading, I go to Bloglines. I love both really.

6. Amy from Occupation: Mommy says:

I have been checking my favorites the old-fashioned way, too. I have been trying to hold out on switching to Google reader in the hopes that Bloglines will be fixed somehow. Thanks for the review–it’s good to hear what a Bloglines user thinks of Google. Maybe I will switch over tomorrow…

7. Lynn says:

I also was wondering why no one was updating. Once I figured out that it was a bloglines issue I switched to google reader. I think google reader is much nicer.

8. Amanda says:

I Google Reader! I especially love the feature on the home page where the reader sort of assesses the types of blogs I like to read and make recommendations for others. I’ve found some great blogs that way!

9. Heather says:

I made the big switch to Google Reader this week, too. I love it. The only problem is that I have about four blogs that I follow that Google Reader says don’t exist and I can’t for the life of me figure out how to add them.

10. Christy@pipandsqueak says:

I have had google reader for over a year and I am addicted to it. At first I thought it saved me time because I did not have to check blogs manually that had not actually been updated. Now though I think it has allowed me to add way too many blogs to follow. I think I have 300-400. I was out of town for 48 hours and returned to about 250 updates.

11. Marianne says:

TOO funny! I just exported all my Bloglines feeds to Google Reader yesterday for the same reason.
    Those little red (!) finally got the best of me!
    I do like Google Reader better already, too…sorry, Bloglines.

12. starr says:

Check out the “next” button with Google Reader. You can put the “next” button in your toolbar, and clicking it will take you to updated blogs in their “natural environment”, as opposed to reading it in a reader.

13. warillever says:

I used Bloglines for a long time, but finally made the switch to Google Reader a few months ago. The navigation is so uch better.
    Now I just wish that Google integrated some of those intuitive features like “Next Post” into Gmail…

14. tracey says:

Wha? I haven’t had any problems with Bloglines this week at all!! How’d I get so lucky?
    I actually don’t care for Google reader as much because I can’t seem to figure out the ONE Thing I wanted out of it, which was to find out who was following me through Google Reader! Care to enlighten a girl?

15. Jendeis says:

Oh, thank goodness. I thought it was just me, and not Bloglines as a whole. Maybe this is just the push I needed to move over to Google Reader (hmm, what if they did that as industrial sabotage?).

16. pam says:

I have always been a Google Reader girl, and I love it, too! Bloglines just didn’t ever work for me, but I am thrilled w/Google Reader and gladly welcome you there, too, friend.

17. Krista says:

I missed out on Bloglines entirely, started with Google Reader. when I heard about it I wondered if it was any better… I’m so glad to hear I should stay where I am!

18. Summer says:

I love Google Reader as well but it does occasionally do the same thing. One of my blog hadn’t updated through Google Reader for 2 months and I just realized it three days ago. Went and found she’d been posting all along.

19. Momma Mac says:

Love Google Reader! I’ve tried switching over to others as I have an iPhone and sometimes would like to read offline, but I haven’t found “true love” with any other reader!

20. canadacole says:

I only recently joined Google Reader and I really love it! Have you discovered the Recommendations yet? Great help when you’re craving a new blog. I’ve found some gems that way!

21. AmandaG says:

Thanks for mentioning you were having probs with Bloglines. I’ve been having trouble off and on. Not sure why I didn’t switch to Google Reader before as I LOVE Google’s other products. Thanks! Now I just have to transfer over all my blogs.

22. Jennifer says:

I made the switch this weekend to Google Reader. I was fed up with bloglines and the red little exclamation point by several of the blogs I read.
    I follow you on twitter and saw that you had switched too.
    I am still trying to figure out the layout and everything.

23. Stretch Mark Mama says:

Your evangelistic ways have converted me into at least TRYING a new reader. I had been having trouble getting Bloglines to sort my feeds into folders, and with 200+ feeds? Ugh. So I did the export and at the same time, whittled my feeds back to a more manageable number AND categorized them at the same time. It’s taking me a while.
    The only thing I’m not crazy about is that I have to mark the feeds as read when I’m done.
    OH, THE EXTRA CLICKING.

24. Barb says:

Thanks for posting the link to Google Reader, Shannon. I’ve used Bloglines for almost three years and normally, it all works very well. But lately – it’s just aggravating. I need to check into Google Reader.

25. Michele says:

You know… I’ve been with bloglines since getting a clue about feedreaders when they first because popular tools. Finally, about a month ago, I made the switch to google reader. Bloglines was just not reliable anymore. So far? Took some getting used to in terms of usability on the end user front – but once I did, I’m happy. Also – I find that if I use my scroll button on my mouse down a little bit, the entry will show as read and disappear from the list of updated blogs.

26. Stacy says:

Bloglines has been irritating me with the red exclamation points too. I just transferred all of my feeds over to google reader, but I’m not quite sold yet. I guess I’m just used to bloglines. I may try both for a while and see what sticks.

27. Mrs. Bick says:

Love everything GOOGLE! Been keeping up with you, Chilihead, and so many more with Google Reader for a while now. I’m surprised I haven’t heard you singing the praises of Google’s Picasa for pictures, etc. What? Haven’t heard of it… oh, try it, my friend, and see what you have been missing!