Job Perks

Old habits die hard.  This morning I called my middle son by the little pet name I called him when he was a baby, something I haven’t done in ages.

The boy froze in his tracks and raised an eyebrow at me.

"Dude, Mom.  Don’t call me that.  You’re freakin’ my style."

Dude, thanks for the tip.  But be on notice.  It won’t be the last time.  I’m your mother, the person who brought you into this world, the person who loves you more than life and cleaned up your barf and washed your soccer socks and quizzed you on spelling words, and you can count on the fact that I will freak your style whenever I get a chance.

Not only is it part of the job’s description, it’s also one of its biggest perks.

48 thoughts on “Job Perks

1. stacey says:

Love this. Today in church I was soaking in the fact that my 11 year old son still likes to snuggle during the service (sleep leaning against me). I know these days are waning so I am storing up.

2. Brownie says:

Oh, yeah! My Hubby and I look forward to the pay back. We are currently in the midst of toddler embarassment – singing song with motions in public, being handed a booger in the middle of an adult conversation – but we know our turn in coming in just a few short years. We actually have a few things planned already (nothing to dramatic, don’t worry). Nicknames are certainly on the list. So, here’s to the perk of ‘freaking their style’ because we can!

3. Kathy says:

My eldest’s nickname as a baby was Booger. No idea how it happened. It just did! Every now and then, at a ball game, I’ll yell, “Great hit, Boog!” He hasn’t flinched yet, but I know it’s coming. He’s 12 and already saying all these other things are uncool. But he says that’s OK. All the other parents look at me funny, that’s for sure.

4. Lainie@ Mishmash Maggie says:

um, awkward moment coming.
    On the “y’all” post I mentioned my ghetto roots.
    “Freakin’ my style” isn’t an actual phrase. Although it made sense and he used the slang correctly.
    But “freakin'” still means today what it’s always meant. It’s a way of being able to say the classic, four letter obscenity, beginning with the sixth letter of the alphabet, in public.
    Just a little FYI.
    Urban Dictionary at urbandictionary (dot) com
    is helpful (and scary) if you ever need to check on meanings if, you’re, ya know, not from the hood.

5. Karen B says:

I like to ‘freak their style”…and what’s up with “DUDE”? I heard my brother say ‘dude’ to his 14 yo daughter…THEN I saw a phone commercial where the dad says ‘dude’ to the daughter…don’t like it, thought we were over it, except for the stoners.

6. mimi2six says:

……so…it’s OK, then, for me to still call you Motor Mouth, Boogie Bear (Shannon Boog for short), Poopsie (that from Gally), and others that escape my memory for the moment??

7. pam says:

I love this! I also love Jennifer R’s comment.
    We do have to cling to the perks tightly as they are sometimes few and far between.
    Keep asserting your role, dear Shannon!

8. Linda Sue says:

Dude Mom??? oh dear – one friend’s 14 y/o and his BFF were in family car being chauffeured to some activity – going on and on about being big (insert word that rhymes with imps and is an illegal activity) and she finally cracked up – she said y’all are more pimples than (previously hinted at word) – they were mortified and she is still laughing to this day – ahh the ego of a young male – tender yet over reaching! LOL – thanks for the laugh on a Monday morning!

9. Jenni says:

Hilarious!
    I had to order my son’s friend to STOP calling me “dude”. He thought I was joking at first. Um. No.
    “Dude Mom” sounds a little more acceptable. ;o)

10. Betsy says:

Oh, my Daddy LIVED to “freak my style” when I was a teenager… He bought a 1965 Caddilac Convertible, Cherry Red, specifically to drive me to functions (like important football games and such). He also would insist on accompanying me to the swimming pool, wearing his baby blue trunks and cowboy boots. His legs were a pasty shade of white from never seeing the sun. I died a thousand deaths from embarrassment!
    Now I can’t wait for it to be my turn… I’ve been looking at classic cars! ha ha!

11. Sandy says:

“freakin’ my style”….wow that is a good one. I am not to far withdrawn from the days of knowing popular slang, but even that one eludes me:)

12. kristi says:

My 4-year old corrected me over the weekend for calling her 1.5 yo brother her name. Um, sorry little girl. I’ve been yelling at you to sit down on the couch for 3 years now…it’s a hard habit to break, especially when he looks just like you did at that age and is doing the same crazy stunts…

13. Claire in CA, USA says:

We call our 14yo daughter “Boo Boo” quite often. It’s her nickname from before she was born. I use it in public and here at home. She doesn’t even acknowledge the difference between that and her real name! Weird kid.
    The boy, 12yo, we frequently call “Bubba.” Don’t remember how it started, but he pretty much answers to it just like his name, as well. He doesn’t seem to mind, yet. We’ll see…

14. Amblin says:

I did the opposite the other day. I actually attempted to use the word “dude” when speaking to one of my older sons. He stopped, looked me in the eye with a grin, and said, “Mom, please don’t ever use the word “Dude” again. It’s just too freaky!”
    ROFL
    As far as calling them by their little boy nicknames, I still do that on occasion. It will always happen. My mom still calls me by mine. πŸ˜‰

15. Melanie says:

I was ordered by my second grader to stop calling her by her pet name in public. Of course I couldn’t do it-old habits die hard–and now I think she is just resigned to it.
    Good post.

16. Sortin says:

I think I’ll be “freakin’ my baby’s style” when she’s older. I call her Chub….it’s cute now but later? She is so cute and squeezable. BTW: she’s 5 now and she doesn’t seem to mind at all πŸ™‚
    I did have a friend in HS nicknamed chub by her family, I never thought anything of it except it was mean. Now I understand πŸ™‚

17. Lisa says:

I hate it when my sons were calling me ‘Dude’. They finally got over it. “Freak my style” is totally new and I’m afraid it just shows how out of touch I am…

18. Susan says:

I have a 20 yo, 19yo, and 14yo and not once has one used “freaking my style”…but they’ve certainly given me reason to give the same response that you had. Great story.
    πŸ™‚ Susan

19. Laura says:

This is the same reaction my son has if I use a nickname I’ve used since his childhood. Only he doesn’t use “freakin my style”. LOL. He’s 16 now and it so odd when they go through this stage.
    I was just talking to a friend about how overnight these boys freak out if you touch them and you had no clue it wasn’t okay to do that anymore.
    Thank goodness he’s almost through that “don’t touch me” stage.
    He’s still in the EAT LIKE A HORSE stage. He’s always worried about where his next meal is coming from.

20. Erin says:

So funny!!! I haven’t heard that one yet either, but I’ll be on the lookout. My daughter wouldn’t let my husband pick out her clothes the other day because she was afraid he would pick something “dorky.” Her new favorite word…

21. Jane Anne Owen says:

This is so funny to me! My kids are still so young that they enjoy my little pet names for them (and argue over who has the better name). I can totally imagine that coversation with one of my boys in a few years! Such a great post!

22. Maggie says:

ROLF!
    Since mine are just 5 and 1, I can see that I have MUCH to look forward to. I love that moms can gleen wisdom from each other.
    Thanks for sharing.

23. Whitney @ Baby Tunnel Exodus says:

I hear you! I’ve got a Sugar Pie, a Pumpy and a Honey Bunny that will always get a random pet name shout out. It’s Who They Are to me. And someday, they’ll miss it. Not any day when their age ends in -teen mind you, but someday nonetheless.
    Blessings, Whitney