Eternal Truths of Parenting: Volume 3,924

If your almost-four-year-old daughter sprints past you, hollering over her shoulder, "MOMMA!  I didn’t do it! It was the monkey!" and you do not, in fact, have a pet monkey, then you can be sure that this is not going be a good afternoon.

43 thoughts on “Eternal Truths of Parenting: Volume 3,924

1. Christina Z says:

that reminds me of trying to take a nap on Sunday with my 3 1/2 year old and she started singing the abc’s. I told her to be quiet. She said, “that wasn’t me, it was Ella” her imaginary friend. I said that if I heard that again, she was going into her own bed for a nap. “A,B,C,D,…” As I put her in her own bed she was screaming the whole time that it wasn’t her, it was Ella. I think she even believed it.

2. Miche says:

OH MY GOODNESS!!! You have my crying from laughter, that is absolutely fabulous! I have read your blog for 2 years now and seldom comment, but THAT was just precious!

3. Valerie says:

That is so funny! I have heard many similar things. . . but my hats off to her for using a monkey. I can honestly say I’ve never heard that.
    By-the-way, what was it she didn’t do??

4. Shawna says:

Whenever my dad, yes, my DAD, would steal my Halloween candy, or eat the ears off my chocolate bunny, or drink the last of the chocolate milk or something, he always said that it was “the little boy with the mustache”…ironically, my dad had a mustache………..

5. Tara says:

Lucky for you, unlucky for Corrie, You are an expert at constructing the Monkey Alarm (patent pending)! πŸ™‚ Makes me giggle just thinking about it! Does she read Boo’s blog???

6. Shannon says:

I live in India and we DO in fact have monkeys…but if my almost four year old daughter said the same thing your almost four year old daughter said, and the monkey did do whatever it is that was done, then it would still be a bad day.

7. Cyndi says:

My son used to blame every mishap in our house on “the scary clown.” When we’d ask him where that scary clown was, he replied gleefully, “Scary clown run away!”
    I’m wondering what exactly the monkey did at your house.

8. rrmama says:

My youngest always says his mouse did it. We don’t have a mouse I tell him and the he says oh yes we do….insert oldest childs name followed by mouse. So your would be Shannon Mouse. I just laugh and look at him and throws up his hands and then gives the questionable look and says what I still didn’t do it.

9. Christine says:

Shame you hadn’t employed Sophie’s patented Monkey Alarm. You could have perhaps had warning of said mishap before the almost-four-year-old came tearing past! πŸ˜‰

10. Alexis says:

Just found your blog – and I’m already a big fan!!
    Speaking of imaginary animals in the house, when I was two, I would run crying to my parents, screaming “Moose is coming! Moose is coming!” at the most random times.
    It’s kind of disturbing to me that they never did figure out what I was so afraid of, lol! πŸ™‚

11. MountainLamb says:

When my daughter was little she wanted to be a paliontologist (I’m sure that is misspelled). She had a pet dino named Little Foot that always knocked things over with his big tail (yep, from Land Before Time). One day we caught her with the front door open, tapping her little toe (she was an very petite 4 year old) and saying out the door, “Next time go potty before you come in the house!”