Because You Asked…

Several of you asked what it was about the Freakishly Expensive Las Vegas Baked Potato that it made it so special.

Well, here’s the deal.  When I put my fork into it, a dozen little Irish elves danced out and tossed gold coins in my lap.

I’m kidding.  That’s what should have happened since, and I don’t know if I mentioned this, the baked potato COST EIGHTY-FIVE DOLLARS.

Anyway.

It was definitely a tasty dish.  When I was eating it (before I knew the price tag), I was telling Hubs that it reminded me a lot of Pioneer Woman’s mashed potatoes, except even kickier.  They were very, very rich (they must have had cream in them, I determined), with an unmistakable woodsy flavor.

Actually, I have no idea what that means.  I’ve just always wanted to use the phrase "unmistakable woodsy flavor".

But there was a very rich, mushroomy flavor (which, I know now, was the gold bouillon truffles sprinkled throughout), leading me to wonder how PW’s mashed potatoes might taste with a can of cream of mushroom soup blended in.  I bet they’d be just as tasty.

And, they’d cost 43 cents.

29 thoughts on “Because You Asked…

1. Jane says:

My dh paid $10 for a bottle of water when we were sitting court side at the Laker game. It was a *once* in a life time experience and he said the $10 was worth it for the story.
    Somehow, this potato might just turn into story telling gold! After all, an $85 potato will still be shocking when your grandchildren are sitting on your knee. At least I hope so!!

2. Steph at the Red Clay Diaries says:

Laughed at Kelly’s comment too. But I think it’s more likely that the French food critic fell over, then got up and booked a flight to the USA to come pry that can of cream of mushroom out of your little hands.

3. Janna says:

It would take me a LOOONNNGGG time to get over spending $85 on a baked potato (regardless of the “secret” ingredient). In fact, I would be a widow, too, because my husband would have had a heart attack at the sight of the bill…
    Glad you had a great time in spite of Barry’s bronchitis!

4. Jamie says:

Sounds like a very nice tator! I hope you had a cloth napkin in your lap.
    Thanks for letting me read your blog! I love your writing!!!

5. Christy says:

Haha. Kelly I was thinking the same thing!
    But on the other hand, Paula Deen would be in love with you right now, Shannon. Adding Cream of Mushroom soup to PW’s Taters? That can’t be anything BUT good, right?

6. Mrs Lemon says:

The fact is, you found $95 later in the weekend, so actually you got a $10 rebate for taste testing a can of cream of mushroom soup recipe. Can’t beat that with a stick!

7. Octamom says:

I’ve been contemplating those $85 taters for several hours now….and then was contemplating the killer waiter skills of the server who suggested them….
    Blessings!

8. Gabreial says:

Whenever I need a “pick me up” I come here. You crack me up.
    “unmistakable woodsy flavor”.
    We like “crisp lemony” around here, ha ha.
    Have a great day!

9. lynn says:

The “unmistakeable woodsy flavor” is the truffle too. They grow underground in the forest. earthy, mushroomy, wonderful (and expensive) flavor!

10. Ruth Ann says:

You’re so funny!!
    I just have to know – do things like this happen to you because you’re a great blogger? Or are you a great blogger because things like this happen to you?
    Thanks for making me laugh out loud!