An Old Favorite

Back in the pre-kid career days, when I was freshly out of college, my one goal was to work for DaySpring Cards.  They make inspirational greeting cards and other merchandise–really lovely stuff that’s classy and encouraging and thought-provoking.  They’re an Arkansas company, located in a corporate headquarters that is secluded in the lush Arkansas woods, at the end of a winding road.  I had visions of this being an amazing place to work, the sort of place where people walked around with hushed voices, spewing forth inspiring poetry, while little woodland creatures played at their feet.

As you can tell, I’ve always had very realistic career expectations.

I gave it my best shot, but it didn’t work out for my 21-year-old self back then.  I’m sure it was just bad timing–my completely impractical liberal arts degree and stunning lack of experience had nothing to do with it, of course.

Anyway, the point of all this (remarkably, there is one) is that I’ve always been a big fan of this company and their work.  I get quite a few e-mails from companies wanting to send me their products to try; I’m pretty careful about which ones I’ll say "yes" to, only agreeing to the ones that I think might be interesting to you (incidentally, one of these days I should seriously do a post about the weird ones I’ve turned down, HELLO, NOSE-HAIR-TRIMMER PEOPLE, PLEASE STOP).  When DaySpring offered to send me some samples from their new Jesus Is the Gift Christmas line, I happily said yes, especially when they mentioned that they’d offer my readers 25% off anything in their shop…let me repeat that…25% off anything in their shop (coupon code rocksinmydryer25).  There’s some good stuff there.

This nativity candle set is my very favorite–the photo doesn’t do it justice.  It’s so pretty I think I’ll keep it out year-round, not just at Christmas.  And of course, DaySpring’s Christmas cards are some of the most meaningful I’ve seen; I love this one and this one.

Anyway, head over there and look around, and remember to use the coupon code rocksinmydryer25 if you want 25% off.

(P.S. The whole story behind their "Jesus Is the Gift" movement is here–really lovely stuff.)

(P.P.S.  If you live anywhere near Siloam Springs, Arkansas, it is worth a drive to visit their outlet store.  I try really hard to make a pilgrimage there a couple of times a year because (and if you are my real-life friend, stop reading right here) it is the best place to stock up on crazy-cheap birthday presents for your real-life friends.  I mean, boxes-of-cards-for-two-dollars kind of crazy cheap.)

30 thoughts on “An Old Favorite

1. Steffj89 says:

If you are anywhere close to SS then call the outlet store and find out when the warehouse sale is…either this weekend or next weekend…totally worth the journey tons of stuff 50% off those crazy outlet prices you speak of miss shannon….i am not sure which weekend it is, but its fabulous.
    Steff

2. Jeni says:

When I was in college (Harding University), our Concert Choir sang at a church in Siloam Springs. We didn’t get to visit the outlet store, but I do remember what a nice drive it was getting there. (Or rather, it WOULD have been a nice drive if we hadn’t been in a gigantic tour bus in the pitch dark – not good for those windy mountain roads!)

3. pam says:

I have a friend who lives in Siloam Springs now. Maybe she should be getting me some crazy-cheap stuff soon. : )
    Thanks for sharing this treasure, Shannon. I love Dayspring, too.

4. Parker says:

My problem when I was younger was that I had no idea what my career goals were. They changed by the day. Come to think of it, I’m in my 30’s and still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up. Maybe I should order a box of Dayspring cards for inspiration…..

5. Dawn W says:

I love Dayspring. I buy their stuf as often as I can. I love their online bulk clearance stuff – it was a huge help when I was the women’s ministry director at our previous small (in size and budget!) church.
    Thanks for sharing!
    PS – I’ll be glad to review anything for them if you want to refer me! Ha!

6. Lynnet says:

We live in Van Buren, just an hour or so south and get Day Spring products from our local Christian bookstore, but have never made it up there during one of their warehouse sale. Thanks for the reminder! There is also a great Mom&Pop place called Barnett’s that serves the best burger, huge basket of fries and malts as well. Well worth the trip!

7. Stretch Mark Mama says:

I went through a season where I made The Hubs submit greeting card text to various companies.
    He loved me for that.
    Never got published, of course. But I was convinced! It was our big break! Because everyone knows! That writing greeting cards! Is just one step from fame!

8. Erin says:

I went to college at John Brown U in Siloam and remember the sale well! My college self loved the great deals and I wish I were closer to take advantage of them now! And you are right about DaySpring…it really is a beautiful place.

9. Ann Voskamp says:

But if you’d been working at Dayspring, ah, maybe we would have missed out on you here?
    And you post daily cards of blessing to how many of us everyday?
    He’s given you a grand calling, Miz Shannon!
    Love to you,
    Ann

10. Alicia says:

I went to school at John Brown and used to look forward to the warehouse sale every year. 7 years later I’m still using some of the cards I bought! There aren’t many places more beautiful than northwest Arkansas. You’ve made me all nostalgic this morning.

11. Patti says:

My in-laws lived in Siloam Springs for years, met there while attending JBU, and retired there. My MIL worked at Dayspring for several years until she passed away suddenly back in 1994. I have many gifts from Dayspring in our home, including a Precious Moments bear as our Christmas tree topper and a Precious Moments Advent wreath. I love them; they remind me of my precious MIL; I miss her.

12. Michelle says:

I’m a real life friend who enjoys the sweet cards that you buy at Day Spring! Found a box of old notes from the Delta days and early marriage days – your words of encouragement always made my day 🙂

13. sh says:

I love their Christmas cards too. But, sorry, I can beat that deal for cards. The Lifeway store near Baltimore sells their Christmas cards BOGO Free every year. (so 50% off!) I always stock up on great cards. But I REALLY Like that nativity set too!

14. Misty says:

So maybe next time I visit the fam in Tulsa I’m gonna go a little further! :o) How this place ever evade my curious, bargain-hunting brain????? Thanks for helping a sister out! :o)
    Be well and be blessed!

15. Superchikk says:

Your real life friends don’t care that you spend $2 on a gift for them, or else they wouldn’t be your real life friends. Hello!
    And yes, DaySpring is an awesome place to shop. I should make my way over there more frequently. It’s amazing that you forget about the things right under your nose.

16. hoghan says:

This is your dad writing (speaking). I wish you’d go ahead and get at least one good nose hair trimmer. You may have noticed I could use one from time to time as the years keep speeding by! Just a reminder, Christmas is coming up, you know. 🙂

17. Steffj89 says:

OK guys, I stopped in the Outlet store this afternoon…BTW I told them of your blog ms shannon and that they were famous…LOL
    The Warehouse Sale is:
    Thurs and Fri Nov 20 and 21 from 9-7
    and Sat the 22 from 9-5/
    Location is:
    700 Granite St Siloam Springs
    Turn N on Washington St and go 2 blocks turn East on Granite its the yellow building on the south side of the road.
    Info line 479-549-6315
    The flyer in the store said cards and giftwrap will be 75% off and other gifts etc will be 50-75% off…
    That makes boxed cards as low as 50 cents.
    Good luck all,
    Steff

18. Miche says:

Oh I love the cards, thanks for the discount! Also, I just have to tell you that you are too funny to read; I LOVE your blog! You were actually one of the very first blogs I ever started reading daily and that was 2 years ago.

19. Lysa TerKeurst says:

I LOVE that nativity candle set. And I love a good deal too!
    Thanks for the heads up on their site and for the coupon code.
    Did you see their beautiful ornaments? I had no idea Dayspring had more than just cards. How fun!

20. judy says:

Our church kids go to camp every summer in Siloam Springs and I always get a trip in to town to the DaySpring Outlet store to buy my year’s worth of cards and gifts. My favorite place (OOPS in Tonitown being my second!)

21. Trish Y. says:

Well friends, I am blessed to actually live in Siloam Springs. Hubby and I moved here from Tulsa 13 years ago (lived in Broken Arrow and Sand Springs all my life until I moved here). We have many, many friends that work at Dayspring. We also are blessed to know the founders of DS…Dean Kerns and Don Leatch. I would suggest a trip to the warehouse sale, then lunch at Barnett’s (on the corner of Wright St. and Tulsa St.), and then follow it up with some shopping in our historic downtown. There’s also a sweet coffee shop downtown. Siloam is NW Arkansa’s best kept secret. So many people think that Siloam is what they see on the highway… but once you get to downtown, you realize why people love our town! It’s such a great place to raise a family. Come visit!

22. Elizabeth says:

We lived in Siloam Springs for ten years and now we live near your city! I agree with Trish from above (remember me from the pregnancy center?) and you should definitely try Barnett’s. Their ice cream is the best. And downtown Siloam is much improved with some great shops and a fun cafe. Visit soon!

23. susan says:

I used to work at Dayspring while in college at JBU! I actually worked next to Roy Lessin for a while…he’d be the one walking around spouting poetry. 🙂 I LOVE that place. These comments are making me long for Siloam Springs. I miss that little town- my first home away from home. I used to buy all of my Christmas gifts at the outlet. Back then, it was in the warehouse of our building.