It’s All About the Realistic Expectations

This is what the kids and I are making on Wednesday.  I thought about making them before I told you about them, so I could share the lovely pictures.  Then I remembered my questionable experience with children’s cooking crafts.  It usually ends poorly.

Especially when the item in question involves brown clumpy things.  There will be poop jokes, y’all.  There just will.  I’m not sure this is a moment I want to preserve for posterity.

So I’m telling you about it beforehand, while I can still optimistically entertain the notion that our little pilgrim hats will turn out as cute as these.  Maybe while we make them we will all talk about how thankful we are for each other.  Maybe we’ll spontaneously burst into a rendition of "Blest Be the Tie That Binds".

We’re probably more likely to spontaneously burst into flames

Anyway, I thought I’d share the cute idea in case any of you thought it sounded like fun.  If any of you have a great success (and by "success", I mean "nobody ends up with icing up his nose"), then I’d love to hear about it.

{*UPDATE*  I just learned that Scribbit has a version of these cookies, and they’re even cuter!  And it looks simpler, too, because finding ginger snaps would be much easier than finding little chocolate wafers.}

37 thoughts on “It’s All About the Realistic Expectations

1. Tara says:

Oh those are just begging for poop jokes, you’re right. Still, I emailed the link to my two sisters. Between us we have five boys ages 11, 9, 8, 5, and 3 who will all be under the same roof for three days. I bet our poop jokes will be better than your poop jokes. Nee ner nee ner nee ner!

2. Crystal says:

The picture and recipe (from Woman’s Day) for these cookies has been hanging on my fridge since last Thanksgiving I think. Thanks for reminding me that I want to make those with the kids this year. Apparently my eyes glaze over as I pass the fridge. Probably all of the thoughts of the chocolate I wish were inside.

3. Heather says:

Cute! We’re making turkey cookies tomorrow. My 5-year old thought they were really made with turkey. LOL The idea is from the Betty Crocker website. They’re called “Turkey Cookie Treats.”

4. Linda Sue says:

IMHO realistic expectations would be — many of those reese’s pnut butter cups will be eaten long before they got stuck to little cookies so plan for lots of candies
    looks like a big time fun craft.

5. Megan says:

You can find the chocolate wafers in the ice cream toppings section (at least in Florida!) They come in a yellow box, about 30 of them. They also make good cheese cake crust. Good luck!

6. MamaHenClucks says:

I just helped my daughter’s preschool class make these today, using large marshmallows dipped in chocolate placed on keebler striped chocolate cookies. If 17 four year olds can make them, I know you can too! Have fun!!

7. Andi says:

I saw those cookies on someone’s blog & they used those cookies that are chocolate on the bottom, have a hole in the middle & wavy chocolate lines on the top of a tan cookie. I don’t know the name of them, but they’re in all the grocery stores. You just have to turn them upside down.
    These are some other fun cookies: http://billyandgreen.blogspot.com/2008/11/thanksgiving-turkey-cookies.html
    My 3 year old & I made them tonight. He thought they were hysterical.

8. brandy says:

Our version: upside-down Fudge Stripe cookies (so only the chocolate bottom shows), marshmallows dipped in melted chocolate chips, and yellow gel icing. So messy!

9. Grateful for Grace says:

Ok, I can see I’m not the first to post that they’ve done the Family Fun version of the marshmallows dipped in chocolate…. mess.y. Truly. But simply delicious!! Yummy. ‘course it’s best to let them dry for an hour. Didn’t see that part of the directions when we did ’em. I just thought the making them was messsy. You should have seen the kids eating them. My cousin never said a word to me, just kept wiping faces and hands.
    hee hee
    I don’t like peanut butter cups, so I wouldn’t do that version. And the yellow does look better than the orange.
    Enjoy!

10. Mel says:

Oh now there is a project my 17 year old dd can do with her youngest brothers (mom smiles at this ๐Ÿ™‚ )
    those are adorable, i am not a crafty type of mom but these may be worth a whirl…

11. Valerie says:

I was going to make these today. I found the taste of home recipe but couldn’t find the orange mini chiclets at my store so we will be using tic tacs. Hopefully they will come out… I hope yours do as well!!!

12. Superchikk says:

I’m not sure what little chocolate wafers you’re referring to, but ‘Nilla used to have some Chocolate ‘Nilla Wafers. Oh yes they did! I can’t imagine them being taken off the market.

13. Rita says:

We’ve made Family Fun’s pilgrim hats the last couple of years. Very easy and quick! They’ve been quickly gobbled up everytime we made them. Lots of fun and very yummy!

14. Noelle says:

Those are absolutely adorable. I’d love to do them, but even the thought of dealing with poop jokes while getting the rest of Thanksgiving together just make me queasy.

15. Renee says:

We are making the same thing tonight.
    I am using Keebler Fudge striped cookies and vanilla frosting. I found the recipe a few weeks ago and thought we can do that. Guess we will see how easy it really is.

16. Christine says:

Verrry cute!! The girls and I may have to take that little project to Nana’s house tomorrow. I won’t have the time or the inclination, however, to pipe on tiny pilgrim hat buckles, so perhaps I’ll just forage for the yellow M&Ms and let them imply a buckle on the hat, whaddya think!? Or the tic tac idea sounds good too!
    And if you’re interested, the Famous Chocolate Wafers are either with the ice cream condiments (ie, cherries and chocolate syrup) OR they’re with the rest of the cookies, usually near the top shelpf, in a yellow half-box wrapped in cellophane. At least that’s where I find them in my grocery store.

17. Kimba @ A Soft Place to Land says:

Cute project!
    I’m so glad that I’m not the only one who builds up these activities in my mind. I want to create all of the Norman Rockwell moments for my kids and I get all disappointed when they don’t quite work out that way. I call them Norma Rockford moments.
    I’m learning to lower my expectations and keep it simple with my kids. The kids don’t care if we make slice and bake cookies instead of a hand-crafted gingerbread house. And we all actually survive the experience.
    Kimba

18. Rene says:

Oh! Shannon. If you like these you have to check out my post. I just made these but with chocolate dipped marshmallows and fudge shortbread cookies. It was a test run. I am expecting them to turn out cuter on Thursday! ;o) Have a Happy Thanksgiving!