What I’m Thankful For

I had a bad day last week.  A BAD day.  An I’m-a-terrible-mother-and-I’ve-completely-ruined-this-and-where-do-I-go-to-resign day.

I popped on to Twitter, and I wrote the following:

Twitter3

And then, before I had to time to get a good cry started, the following happened:

Twitter2

Twitter1

And that’s it.  I’m just really thankful that I’m not the only one who thinks this is hard.  And I’m thankful for women who reach out to each other.

47 thoughts on “What I’m Thankful For

1. Mrs. Q says:

Amen! I always try to remember that God saw fit to give me these children. So He must know something I don’t about my skills as a parent…lol! Yes, parenting is work, HARD work some days. Oh, I have SO been there wanting to turn in my resignation right alongside you!
    Then two little arms encircle my neck and I am reminded why I signed up in the first place πŸ™‚ And that little person doesn’t think I’m a terrible mother…he thinks I am so wonderful. And he loves me. So humbling.
    Then two bigger arms envelope my bruised soul. And I reminded that He thinks I am wonderful, and He loves me. I am humbled again.

2. roxannekristina says:

Welcome to humanity. Nice to hear from fellow club memebers. πŸ™‚
    Thanks for sharing. Your vulnerability makes the rest of us feel supported.
    You’re a great mom who had a bummer day. This too shall pass.
    Blessings,
    Roxanne

3. Amy says:

I just wish someone had warned me how hard and frustrating some aspects of motherhood can be. I was so naive. Kids really should come with a manual.
    It does make it so much easier to have friends (in real life and blogger pals) that you can lean on when things get hard.
    Have a great day Shannon!

4. MamaHenClucks says:

Some days it seems way, way too hard. Some days it seems like the biggest blessing. Some day when i can not take one more minute, I get a hug, a snuggle or a laugh. Some days when I can not take another minute I just have to remember that God gives me grace and mercy and believe tomorrow will be better.

5. Mrs. Pear says:

Yesterday I looked at my husband and said that for the first time in my life, I understand why some women eagerly go back to work after having kids, it might be easier (I am not talking about the ones who have no choice, I am talking about the ones who count down the days until their mat leave is up or go back early – I know at least one who did). Yeah, baby decided to fight the nap with a vengeance. She is one tough cookie, I know this for a fact, the ER doctors and PICU Head Doctor told me, as did all the nurses and lab ladies.
    Mommyhood is hard, but when Miss Pear comes and gives me hugs saying that she is keeping me cause I am the best, and Baby flashes me her biggest most flirtatious grin I know it is all worth it.
    We all have days like this, and it is then that we most need our fellow moms to encourage us to just keep going.

6. jennifer wilcoxson says:

I have to pray that God knows what He is doing. I have FIVE children under the age of 2.5 yrs. Some days I just want to sell them on Ebay. Then they smile at me or call my name or just want to sit in my lap and everything is better. We have those days to show us that we cannot do this alone but that we have to have God there being our couch when we want to give up.

7. The voice of melody says:

None of us have perfect days and we have been given such a huge responsibility and privilege in raising God’s children. Don’t be hard on yourself though, we all go through times when we’d love to crawl into a hole for a little while. Or is it just me?

8. Leslee says:

Oh, Shannon. I had a day like that on Saturday. And just when I didn’t think I could take the chaos anymore, my son came into the kitchen and hugged my leg and said, “Mommy, you make the best hotdogs in the whole wide world.”
    THAT made the whole day of chaos worth it.
    Hope you’ve seen better days since.
    Leslee

9. Brownie says:

It is hard, so much of the time! Very encouraging. Thank you for sharing. I read so many blogs that make me feel like I need to get it together but just can’t. This was a great reminder that everyone struggles with this job sometimes. Happy Thanksgiving!

10. courtney o says:

it’s true that we are completely blessed by the community of women that surround and encourage us. Without them parenting would be so much harder. Unfortuantely I don’t think men often have that same community. My husband found himself having one of those horrible days a few weeks back, but doesn’t have ways to get the same response you did (although it’s true for both men and women). I felt for him. I told him all the truths, as much as I could, but they don’t relieve the burden from him like they do from me. I think in part b/c I hear them more often. My girlfriends remind me all the time how hard mothering is, how we need to rely on God, how we’re barely making it. It seems that my husband misses out on that.

11. Sherry says:

Shannon,
    I’ve been lurking here for a million years. This is so weird. Today I have had the WORST DAY EVER with my 3 year old. My older two were never this hard. I just read your blog and was so encouraged– even though the comments weren’t meant for me! πŸ™‚
    Thanks for “keeping it real.” I hope your day (and mine) gets better!!!
    Sherry

12. MemeGRL says:

Thank you for sharing this. I wasn’t on Twitter in time to see the post until it was way old. But these are such great supportive comments, it made me feel better to read them too.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you.

13. Donnetta says:

Oh how I can relate. I have been there so very recently myself. Thanks for sharing these words that encourage me in my own motherhood journey!
    Trusting your day has been much better today!

14. Alli says:

I’ve spent the last two days convinced that I’ve completely ruined one of my kids. It’s been a hard week. And with not a clue as to where this road leads (or, more specifically, where this child’s road leads), it’s hard to be hopeful and optimistic.
    Friends are an amazing gift…glad yours were there when you needed them! πŸ™‚ Only other moms in the trenches truly know how we feel!

15. Rebeckah says:

I really needed to resign my motherhood this week as well. It has been LONG and STRESSFUL! I am very thankful that tomorrow is the last day of school. We need a break! I am glad you are feeling better!

16. Miche says:

I do this too!! It feels so great to stay organized-my hubby is horrible at keeping the gifts/birthdays/anniversaries straight and he loves to pick on me for being so ocd on keeping my list. I also like to write down all the previous said events on my calendar AND a reminder for 2 weeks before hand so I know to get/make/send something so it arrives on time.

17. Miche says:

Oh dang. I was supposed to be commenting on the wfmw post…I dunno how I ended up commenting on this one. That’s what I get for boasting about my organization skills…nice Miche…lol!

18. Roxanne says:

Sorry for linking twice. . .I’ve not done it before. πŸ™‚ Melanie from “This Ain’t New York” sent me over with my little Turkey craft link. And I didn’t get to read all the Twitter stuff yet, but I am also a teacher, which gives me opportunity to feel like a failure with other people’s children as well as my own. When I am in despair, I remember that Satan tries to rob our joy at every turn–self-doubt and guilt are his two main weapons to use against mothers. Beat him back, sister.

19. megan@Hold it Up to the Light says:

Support and validation are sometimes the only thing that gets me through the day (as a mom that is)! Whenever I have one of those days (which seem to happen more and more as I add children to my brood), I always know that calling a friend for support will make things better….put it all in perspective. I love that Twitter gives you instant support!
    I’ll be praying for you and hope that others will pray for me too. Motherhood is the hardest job of them all!!!

20. Cynthia Werry says:

I’m new to the online social world and it has most definitely enhanced my life in such a wonderful way.
    I was initially afraid I’d find only angry people online and thus far, they are the minority. I’ve been overwhelmed and blessed by all the goodness and support.
    Especially when dealing with the challenges of motherhood. πŸ™‚

21. Sarah says:

I agree with the one who said that there isn’t a better reason to twitter! What a great way to connect and feel encouraged. You are doing an awesome job I am sure.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers tonight for a wonderfully delightful Christmas season with your family and friends.
    In Christ Alone,