That Little Fellow’s Dad

The following poem has been taped to my dad’s desk for as long as I can remember.  Now that I’m the mom of boys (and the wife of a man who is a very good dad to boys), it’s especially meaningful to me.  I can’t get all the way through it without a lump in my throat.

A few years ago, I made a copy for my husband, and now it sits framed on his desk, too.  I don’t know who the author is, unfortunately (if you know, please tell me), but I thought you might like to see it:

There are certain dreams I’d cherish that I’d like to see come true.

There are things I would accomplish ere my working time is through.

But the task my heart is set on is to guide a little lad–

To make myself successful as that little fellow’s dad.

It’s the one job that I dream of; it’s the task I think of most.

For if I fail that little fellow, I have nothing else to boast.

For the wealth and fame I’d gather, all my fortune would be sad,

If I fail to be successful as that little fellow’s dad.

I may never be as clever as my neighbor down the street.

I may never be as wealthy as some other men I meet.

But if he who follows after shall be manly, I’ll be glad,

For I’ll know I’ve been successful as that little fellow’s dad.

If you’re as taken with this poem as I’ve always been, and you’d like a copy, I made a JPEG of it, sized to fit in a 5×7 mat or frame.  Feel free to grab it here (if this works; not sure if it will):

Download littlefellowJPEG.jpg.

26 thoughts on “That Little Fellow’s Dad

1. alissa says:

aww that is so sweet. 🙂
    we’re expecting our first little fellow in the middle of january. my husband is so excited to be a dad — and he’ll be a great one.
    thanks for sharing this.

2. Alli says:

You know, I don’t know if it’s your subject matter, or the fact that my pregnancy hormones are keeping me from thinking straight, but your last three posts have left me in tears (yes, even the squishy post). Thanks. 🙂

3. Leslee says:

Oh Shannon.. This is so timely! Tomorrow’s my husband’s birthday and my son and I were going to get busy making him birthday cards as our art project tomorrow. I think this will be the entry in Daddy’s card. So lovely! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Les

4. Grafxgurl says:

Im trying to have a baby and my husband has had an abusive father….my own father has been a wonderful role model of a how a real Christian father should be and i am so wanting my husband to be a good father…

5. Pam says:

such a nice poem. I always remind myself that at the end of you my life I’ll never say, “I wish I had worked more or made more money.” This helps me to staye focused on what’s important.

6. Trista says:

The lump in my throat is huge. My little ones are at this moment, painting birdhouses for their Daddy’s birthday. I know he would love this poem to go along with them. Thank you so much.

7. Terry says:

I made a framed copy of this for my hubby probably 22 or 23 years ago. It was always in his office as one of his favorite pieces. I think the author may be Gloria Gaither. At least that is where I got it years ago.

8. Raise Them Up says:

What perfect timing! After a hectic week ending in oral surgery for my son, my husband’s birthday snuck up on me today. You (and our God, who orchestrates all things) have tears in my eyes.