Baby Mine

This post was originally published on June 3, 2008.

The other night, I wandered up to my ten-year-old son's room at bedtime.

He was settling into bed, and I lay down next to him for a few minutes.  We chatted for a few minutes, my mother's heart full of quiet joy at the sweet moment with my son.  My mind wandered to the days when he was a newborn, just over six pounds.  In those day, when he lay on the bed next to me, he curled into a tiny little peanut, burrowed tightly up against me.  But now his long, lanky form takes up almost as much space on the bed as I do.

I thought about these things with a sigh, and I reached over and brushed my fingers across his hair.

And then he tooted.

I mean, tooted.  The kind of mattress-rattling honk that almost lifted the covers a little.

And we laughed together until our sides hurt, snorting and tossing each other a high five.

I loved that little baby, but oh, how I love the young man.

18 thoughts on “Baby Mine

1. Joy says:

Too funny! My 9 year old is just the same, sharing a quiet moment and then some bodily function brings me back to reality. Gotta love our boys.

2. Lori L. says:

I laughed the first time I read this, now I’m laughing again… toots are a time-withstanding-universal source of enjoyment, aren’t they? 🙂 Happy New Year!

3. Rachel says:

I love it.
    I like to kid myself and believe that we will somehow morph into civilized folk before my daughter can learn our bad habits, like getting entirely too much enjoyment out of well… breaking wind.

4. Miche says:

Hahah!! I love this post; it made me laugh so hard the first time around, and this time even harder, because now my little baby (who was a baby at that time) is a very toot happy 6 month old. He is starting early with the smells; I am worried…hahah!

5. Sara says:

I am a mom to three boys. But they don’t toot. We have a bad case of “barking tree spiders”. I grew up with one sister, no brothers, so my husband had to explain the barking tree spiders to me! I wouldn’t change it for all the lady like girls in the world!

6. Tammy says:

That is too funny. I love you you described that moment. I love watching them grow. And yes, they are full of suprises! Thanks for the giggles this morning. Loved it!

7. Jessica says:

Oh, man. That brought tears to my eyes (and not from laughter). I have two little boys: A turning 3 in March and P turned 1 in November. I guess tears of a full heart. Thanks for writing about that moment and reminding me to write things down as the business of life seems to run over moments like that and pretty soon you can’t remember them. Thanks!