Worth Keeping

An edited version of this post was originally published on December 30, 2007.

The passing of the old year into the new year has always fascinated me.  The thought that it can be 2008 one second and 2009 the next?  Something about that seems nearly mystical.

I was so amazed by this phenomenon that in 1984, shortly before midnight, I took an old pickle jar and scooped it through the air around me.  Then I slammed the lid shut, screwed it on tightly, and wound yards of masking tape around the neck.  I held in my hands The Year Of Our Lord Nineteen Eighty Four, hermetically sealed for all time.  I suppose my 12th year had been a good one, and I thought the day might come when I'd need to go back and sniff it.

I had a very large closet in my girlhood home, the sort of closet where random keepsakes like fire batons and homecoming corsages and jarred air could multiply at will.  The air of 1984 gradually became buried under other equally sentimental notions, and it wouldn't resurface again until shortly before my wedding, in 1994.  I was sorting through some old keepsakes, and the old jar rolled out of its place.

I looked at it for a few moments and thought of 1984.  I thought of Final Net hairspray and orthodontia and President Reagan and Square Pegs.  Smiling at my youthful sentimentality (since I was, by then, a wise old woman of 21), I ripped off the seal and took a sniff.  As it turns out, 1984 smelled a lot like pickles.

There's not really any point to this story, except to laugh and acknowledge that the passing of the year is momentous for those of us with sentimental tendencies.  Here's wishing you many good things (and even better non-things) in 2009.  I pray it's a year so wonderful that you want to stick it in a jar for all time.

Happy new year, friends.

Posted in: Fun

18 thoughts on “Worth Keeping

1. Sheila Gregoire says:

Happy new year, Shannon!
    I’m a sentimental person on New Year’s, too, and even more so now that I have kids.
    It’s funny how on a daily basis you can feel like a miserable failure. You didn’t get the laundry done. You yelled at the kids. You ordered pizza instead of making dinner.
    But when you look back on a whole year, you also see all the good things that happened. And you can see how your children have grown and matured, and haven’t died from lack of clean laundry.
    It makes us realize that we really are doing okay. And next year will be even better!
    Visit To Love, Honor and Vacuum today!

2. Tammy says:

Happy New Year to you too Sheila! I like that idea. 🙂 I had to giggle, as I had a thought from the beginning that since it was a pickle jar, it would probably smell that way when you finally opened it. But at least it brought back many memories!

3. Okie Sister says:

What fun!
    2008 was the year of my first grandson, something I will treasure forever. If I could bottle up that “new baby smell”, I sure would.
    Happy New Year to you and yours.

4. BlapherMJ says:

What a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing that. I too am sentimental – I can definitely see myself doing something like that! I’ll be reviewing the year (the good and the bad!) with the kids this evening, and feel blessed to be here to bring in another year. 🙂 Happy New Year!

5. rrmama says:

Happy New Year Shannon! Thanks for sharing your life with me this past year. I have laughed till my sides hurt and smiled till my cheeks hurt. I have also cried till there were no more tears. I can’t wait to see what 2009 brings!

6. Holly Smith says:

I could just picture the pickle jar. In 1984, I was 13 and hoping I figure out a way to make friends in jr. high. At that point, I didn’t really understand the work of God in my life. He was very good to teach me year by year.
    Praying that this year brings you much joy and happiness, Shannon! You are a bright spot in many of my days. Thanks for being a light!
    Love,
    Holly

7. Amy says:

I did not see the pickle smell coming! I laughed out loud! I, too, am extremely sentimental and thought your idea was genius! I wished I had been so clever!
    I finally sat down to write up a Works for Me Wednesday post, and it just figures that there wouldn’t be one today! :o)
    I hope you are having a very nice break!

8. Carol says:

The passing of the old year into the new one seems like a great time to reconnect with old blog buddies while adding new ones.
    A very Happy 2009 to you, Shannon!

9. Nancy says:

Funny story Shannon, there is something mystical about the switch from one year to the next. Kinda like the time between twilight and dark. I call that time between time.. I’m not a kid either!!!LOL

10. Stretch Mark Mama says:

Hee hee hee hee hee! I don’t remember that post from last year.
    Pickles! It smelled like pickles! Har har har har har!
    That took me right back to the over-stuffed closets of my youth. Man, where did that ol’ Pack Rat go?