What I Did On My Christmas Vacation

Hello, my internet friends–I've missed you!  I hope you had a great holiday season.  Here's a quick run-down of what I've been up to, in numbered list format, because I haven't blogged in two weeks and can't remember how to make a paragaph transition:

1.  Watched one of my sons give another of my sons a package of stink bombs for Christmas, and realized, in a very horrible moment, that absolutely nothing good can come of this.

2.  Had an otherwise lovely (and mostly stink-free) Christmas, in which my brother and sister-in-law showed us all up with the most sentimental, creative gifts you have ever seen.  Pictures to follow, just as soon as I find my camera.

3.  Have developed a slight obsession with Guitar Hero.  I feel certain that if this momblogging thing doesn't pan out, I have a future as a Pat Benetar impersonator.  I am, after all, a real tough cookie with a long historeeee.

4.  Started reading this book aloud to my children.  It's so good–very Narnia-esque.

5.  Got an e-mail from my designer friend Jo-Lynne of DCR Design that said something along the lines of "oh how I love you, but please, your blog header polka dots are pixelated and it is killing me, and please will you let me change it?"  And I said, "Sure, honey, but I think you're probably the only one who notices."  So she fixed it, and all these friends started coming out of the woodwork to say "THANK YOU for fixing the pixelated polka dots–they were killing me!" and "Oh, it's about time, all that pixelation was driving me crazy," and I'm all, "Really?" and feeling like I need to issue a blanket apology for the pixelated polka dots that were, evidently, gouging out eyeballs everywhere.  Who knew?

6.  Awakened on January 1, 2009, with a viral thing including all manner of stomach unpleasantness, a raging headache, and a fever.  Spent the whole day in bed watching the SciFi Channel's marathon of original Twilight Zone episodes.

7.  Learned that watching Twilight Zone episodes while one drifts in and out of a feverish sleep will make for some trippy dreams.  Trippy.

8.  Had a fantastic visit from my husband's sister and her husband.  Cementing my affection for them once and for all, they gave me this for Christmas:

Barry

Barry Manilow.  Singing eighties music.  It's like one big joyous cheese-ball explosion, and I'm not sure I can contain myself.

9.  Did not finish my sister-in-law Lee Ann's personalized hankies, but I showed her the fabric and said, "Look, won't these be cute when I finish them in a couple of years?  Merry Christmas!"

10.  Finally took down my fall wreath and porch decorations, which seemed like a timely thing to do on January 2nd.

11.  Gave some serious thought to going ahead and putting up the 4th of July wreath since I appear to have abandoned seasonal propriety altogether.

12.  It occurred to me that we have only 15 days to wait until the season premiere of this.  Raise your hand if you can't wait.

13.  The 2008 Weblog Award finalists were announced, and I was so pleased to see many of my favorites as finalists, including my sweet friend Jen of Conversion Diary.  You can vote for her {wink, wink, nudge, nudge} right here.  Congrats to all the finalists: go check out the entire list of bloggers here.

14.  Sent the kids back off to school yesterday with a smooch and a pat and equal amounts of relief and wistfulness.

15.  Am ready to jump back in my blogging groove.  WFMW resumes tomorrow, and I have a fun giveaway lined up for Thursday.  You'll need your thinking caps, so consider this your fair warning.

So.  What have you been up to?

81 thoughts on “What I Did On My Christmas Vacation

1. Heather says:

You always crack me up, but the thing is I have the habit of reading you too late at night and I cannot fall asleep because I am giggling in my head for too long!
    This Christmas break ( I actually had one too!) we put my 4 yr old in his new big boy bed. That in itself is amazing. He now shares a room with his 2 yr old sis and our nights are still going on for-eva!
    That is also my New Year’s Resolution- to sleep alone with my husband. We will see!

2. Chelsea Bass says:

Thanks for fixing the polka dots.
    My husband, about 20 of my friends, and I all got that horrible stomach virus on January 2nd. It traveled to Southern Illinois quickly.
    I’m excited for WFMW to resume!

3. Vicky says:

If it makes you feel better, I never noticed the pixelation of the dots in your header, not even once it was fixed. πŸ™‚

4. Angie says:

We logged in over 2000 miles on our van driving to visit my two best friends who live in St. Louis and Ohio. Over 30 hours in the car with 3 children 6 and under… some might say we’re crazy. Honestly, it was the most fabulous way to end 2008 and start 2009!

5. Whitney says:

Welcome back. I’m loving getting back in groove. Christmas was quiet, with a tired baby and sick mama. We survived and even had some fun. Bring on the new year!

6. Jewel says:

I cannot wait until LOST, another season to try to figure out what is going on.
    Things I did on my Christmas vacation….
    eww the flu too.
    Spent obligatory time, although minimal with family – this is a good thing, however, not enough to get a good blog out of it πŸ™‚
    Looking forward to WFMW.

7. Grace says:

HECK YES on the lost premiere. Last season, I just watched on our little 20 inch tv. Since then, we got HD, and hubby’s grandparents gave us blu-ray for Christmas, so naturally we got LOST 3 & 4 on Blu-Ray… Let me tell you, you haven’t seen LOST until you’ve seen lost in HD!!!!

8. Megan says:

We are finally part of the current cultural groove. We watched seasons 1, 2, and 3 over the summer. Season 4 was consumed over Christmas break. I’m not sure I can stand to watch it on TV, but will probably try.
    You don’t know how relieved you made me that you still had your fall stuff out in January. I, myself, managed to pack mine away on December 27 when I was packing up the Christmas stuff (what little we pulled out this year) too.
    Oh, and pixelated what? I join the ranks of those who never noticed. Feel better?

9. Lainie@ Mishmash Maggie says:

Welcome Back!!! Happy New Year πŸ™‚
    Your dots look yummy and I’ve loved every color except the yellow that triggered migraines. But I still came! Just so you know.
    I hope you’ll still let me hang around after this comment… I’ve never even watched LOST. Nope. Not even once.
    We had a great Christmas being snowed in πŸ™‚

10. Karen says:

Is it just me or
    Has aging improved Barry Manilow’s looks?
    Don’t cha think?
    I don’t know….
    maybe it’s just the airbrush tan.
    But, really, he looks more handsome now than the 80’s
    I’m just sayin’

11. JanMary, N Ireland says:

Had a lovely time at our cottage (near the VERY cold sea) and oh yes, got confused as to which bloggy superstar (!) was emailing me, as I was so star-struck!!! Will you forgive me BooMama…on no, that’s right, your SHANNON πŸ™‚ LOL
    (Probably not my finest hour…..sorry)

12. t5m says:

Just found you, so that’s one accomplishment.
    …my husband sometimes watches the twilight zone while I sleep and it’s so true – that stuff speaks right to your subconscious and the effect is total freakiness.

13. Susan says:

So glad that you are back!! I too had the viral thingy… can you say “yuck!” Of couse the kids still want fed and changed and entertained…. little buggers πŸ™‚
    Happy New Year!

14. Alli Crumley says:

I’ve been busy staying pregnant and wallowing in my painful misery of staying pregnant. Watching the boy and husband play Wii games and wondering why exactly I don’t have the nesting gene, since obviously this baby is going to get here and so far he has a car seat, a stroller and a few diapers.
    Sorry you got sick on New Year’s Day. But glad you are back with the blogging mojo.

15. jennifer says:

I never even noticed the dots were pixilated. I’m honestly not even sure I know what that would look like. I think your site is beautiful and now that it is fixed it is beautiful for everyone!

16. Carol says:

Aw, man! I was looking forward to seeing the completed hankies. Well, I guess I still have that to look forward to. I just have to be very, very patient, right? (Me? Patient? huh!)
    I spent the break reconnecting with my blog buddies. And eating fruitcake.

17. Jena (Organizing Mommy) says:

I’m laughing out loud… totally at everything. You are so funny!! Now, I am proudly sporting my new Keens that I got from your contest. Thank you so much!! My kids can’t believe I won a pair of shoes from blogging. Blessings!!

18. Tricia says:

Thanks for always making me laugh! I am glad you are back! Seriously, it isn’t right for you to go away for that long (okay the past posts really helped me get through it)!

19. jean m. says:

I about spewed my coffee on the Pat Benetar reference..if I drank coffee that is.
    I went through my Guitar Hero phase this time last year. I made my rockin momma world tour debut at Best Buy and sadly that’s as far as it went.

20. jenne says:

We’re really looking forward to Lost here too!
    I’m hoping we dodged a bullet with the tummy bug this time around. my 4 year old had it on the 28th of December, and so far, no one else has had it…hope it holds!

21. angie a says:

The Guitar Hero thing? I totally get this. I have bruises from playing so much. I have not been so hooked on a game since Ms. PacMan first arrived at the skating rink that I frequented. I played all day yesterday ’cause I had it all. to. my. self!!!

22. lucy says:

Last Christmas was my Guitar Hero/Rockband Phase non stop strumming!
    This Christmas non stop eating…lol…waiting for the weight gain…”com’on hit me with your best shot!” I never noticed the pixelated dots either!

23. Katie says:

I’m raising my hand – very excited about what premieres in 15 days!
    I noticed the pixelated dots, but I am a web designer. πŸ˜‰ They’re fixed now, and that’s what matters.

24. Octamom says:

Raising my hand on #12–and it’s all your fault…
    Glad you’re back!
    Oh, and I challenge you to a Guitar Hero fest–‘cuz I’m channeling Pat–just so you know…
    Blessings!

25. Grateful for Grace says:

My sister got Rock Star or Guitar Hero for trhe Wii, don’t know which it was. She convinced me to try it when the children were otherwise occupied.
    Hours later, I was considering ways to live in her house and homeschool my five kids while they were in one room and I was in the other playing the guitar.
    My sis and I totally rocked on Pat Benatar, Billy Idol and Jon Bon Jovi.
    Here’s the best part: the next day I had a massage (best gift!) and the massage therapist said, “Umm… your arm is really out of sorts right here… do you feel that?”
    Me: “Yes.”
    Her: “Have you been working on the computer extra?”
    Me: “Uhh… no, but I did play Guitar Hero for about four hours straight last night.”
    Her: blank stare at me “Oh”
    I had the same ‘problem’ on my other arm.
    I’m totally not kidding.
    Isn’t that hilarious??

26. The Princess says:

Ummm… we aren’t known as a techno-wiz, but for what it is worth, we didn’t notice the pixellation (sp?).
    And your new career doing Pat Benatar on Guitar Hero sounds promising!
    Grins & Giggles for the rest of your week Miss Shannon!
    tp

27. lomagirl says:

I think that the one day raging headache stomach thing that you came down with is going around the internet- I had it, you had it, and a couple of other bloggers I read had it, too. I was just thankful noone else in m family got it.

28. Musings of a Housewife says:

That’s quite a wrap-up! I’m so glad I could help with the pixelation issue. Hm. Spell check doesn’t like my word-smithing.
    Raising my hand b/c I can not WAIT for Lost. I didn’t click on the link, but I assume that’s what you’re excited about. But I’m even MORE excited about BlissDom! πŸ™‚ See you there!

29. lovedandamazed says:

We love the Tales of the Kingdom books!
    LOST is great and yes, my hand is raised. We’re going to watch Season 4 over the next 2 weeks to get ready.
    I woke up on the 1st also with a sickness, except mine was the first of several days of odd allergy attacks. I’m finally feeling better!

30. LifeAtTheCircus says:

Welcome Back!
    A few anecdotes I felt the need to share with you… I made those delicious barbeque cupcakes you posted on awhile back. I guess my son had overheard me tell my husband where i got the recipe b/c that night when I served them to my family and my parents, my son said, “Rocks in my Dryer.” It appears your big even in the preschool crowd. πŸ™‚
    Also since you love Barry, I think you’d appreciate this. My son has a slight infatuation with my husband’s cousin’s daughter (making her a second cousin or something?) Anyway her name is Caroline so I taught him the song Sweet Caroline to sing when he misses her as she lives 30+ hours away. Well, he was singing it one day and my SIL heard him and joined in and he got these huge eyes and said, “You know that song too? How?” He thought it was one of the ones I just made up around the house..LOL…if only I had that talent.
    Anyway, enough of me… welcome back!

31. Katrina @ Callapidder Days says:

I’ll comment in similar format:
    1. I hadn’t noticed the pixelated polka dots. But then again, I also don’t notice things around here like dust or spots on the floor. Clearly, I need to improve my observation skills.
    2. I’m contemplating watching all of last season’s Lost episodes in preparation for the season premiere. Housework will have to wait.
    3. Is Guitar Hero kid-friendly? I have a feeling I would totally rock it, but don’t want to have to cover my kids’ ears or explain certain “themes” if I can avoid it.

32. Andi says:

On my Christmas vacation I had a TEN POUND baby (naturally may I add- I feel way more proud of that then I thought I would). She came on Christmas Eve morning, so the rest of my time has been spent nursing, rocking & playing with my slightly neglected 3 1/2 year old.

33. threeundertwo says:

I never noticed the pixilation. And 4th of July? I was seriously considering it too, since I didn’t exactly carefully put those decorations away in the garage.
    I do have a lot of my Valentine’s dec out. It’s just endless holiday land around here.
    Glad you’re back!

34. LizC says:

Oh yeah! I raise my hand to the countdown to LOST!!!! Cant wait. I’ve missed Sawyer. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm.
    Oh..and..yeah, I play a mean “Living on a Prayer!” on my guitar her. I mean my son’s guitar hero. My Christmas gift is that my son now loves Bon Jovi as much as I do! Yeah!

35. Sylvia says:

I’ve had LOST on the calendar for months. My husband laughs every times he sees that–all highlighted and starred. Just can’t wait!

36. MommaChelle says:

Well, let’s see…after playing the Guitar Hero World Tour version at my friends, I keep dropping major hints to the hubby that I want it for my birthday. We have the regular version, but this Momma wants to rock out on some drums and croon away to Hotel California!
    Hooray for Lost starting soon. My kids think I’m nuts when the trailer comes on t.v., and Momma does a spontaneous little happy dance.
    And now that we have gotten rid of the company that we had here for 3 weeks (yes, you heard me right), I’m holed up in my craft room eating contraband peanut brittle (thanks to the fact that nut allergy boy is back in school.)
    Does life get any better than this?

37. Leah says:

Glad you’re back! AND glad that you pointed out the LOST premiere!! We’re huge fans around here – even got the Season 4 set for Christmas!!

38. Andrea says:

I can’t wait for LOST!!!! Glad to have you back, although I had fun reading the older posts while you were away. We actually got snow, (rare for these parts) and LOTS OF IT!!!! I really enjoyed the white Christmas until I had to try to get out of my driveway!

39. aimee says:

We were at open gymnastics this morning and a little boy had a t-shirt with the dharma iniiative logo on it and “Changing Station” in the middle. I almost accosted his mother to tell her how cool I though it was. Can. Not. Wait.

40. MemeGRL says:

Thanks for the awesome Tales suggestion. And the stink bombs things cracked me up at the same time as I realized I’m just plain not that far away from the same thing happening in our house.
    The dots never bothered me. But how kind of someone who knew how to fix them for you!
    Happy new year!

41. Christine says:

RAISIN.MY.HANDS.HIIIIIGH! I AM SOOOOO ready for LOST! I can hardly CONTAIN myself! With the awesome sneak peeks and those great trailers I find myself sqwee!ing everytime I think about it! Can’t WAIT for your posts about the epi’s! YAAAAAAY LOST!

42. Robin says:

Glad you’re back!
    Guitar Hero..yes, this is a new found love of mine too (I’m Grateful For Grace’s sister) and Pat Benatar is one of my favorites to play! Just call me Midori! (my new alter ego). My husband and I are currently on tour and have 7 gigs under our belts now. ;0)
    It’s good to see you and I’m glad you had such a great break!
    :0)
    ~robin

43. Blue Castle says:

So glad to see you’re back. πŸ™‚
    I just have to ask, what does pixelated mean? Maybe I’m the only dumb one left, but I didn’t have any problems with your header. Love the blue, by the way.

44. Hillary says:

What a great break! My husband is all about Guitar Hero. I haven’t broken into it, yet. But he does have more appeal than usual when he’s playing a Bon Jovi song…
    Welcome back!

45. Laura@heavenlyhomemakers says:

I would like you to know that I for one did not notice your pixelated header. I have no post-pixelation stress.
    Oh, but my boys just pooled their money and bought Rock Band for PS2…I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be giving Bon Jovi a run for his money in 3-5 shipping days.

46. Beth Moore says:

I temporarily dislocated my shoulder so I had to have an unexpected visit from my MIL to help me host Christmas for my family, and then had to take my son to the ER because he fell on his face and his top tooth went all the way through his bottom lip! Happy holidays!
    =D
    But, in all things I rejoice in Him and still feel like I am one of the most blessed people on the planet.

47. Lori says:

God bless you for being a fellow “Fanilow.” I love your blog and am glad you’re back, though it was fun to read your older posts. Welcome back!