Hodge Podge

I watched all four hours of the 24 season premiere yesterday, which means that my heart rate is in a permanent state of elevation, and also that I find myself thinking in two-minute segments, with that little beeping digital clock in between.  That show should really publish a disclaimer at the beginning of each episode that says "WARNING: Watching this program in large chunks will cause you to look over your shoulder before you press the 'start' button on your microwave, and it might also tempt you to open up your laptop and pretend that you're hacking into a database constructed by a small foreign faction when, in fact, you're just e-mailing the teacher that yes, you'll remember to send cookies."

All that to say, my thoughts are a little disjointed this morning, but that leads easily into the few random things I wanted to tell you.

Several of you have asked where my blogroll went.  ("It's been hacked!  CTU reports that it will be detonated at 0400 if all the prisoners aren't released!"  Ooops, sorry, 24 again.)  The real answer is that in three-and-a-half years of blogging, I've never found an efficient way to manage a blogroll. I have a couple of ideas on the subject, but while they percolate, I've temporarily taken it down.  I'm sorry if this has caused any inconvenience–you might want to consider using a feedreader to manage the blogs you read.  It's very easy, and you can read more about it here.

I've been touched that some of you have asked if the What I'd Like For You To Know series is still on–I'm glad you've enjoyed that series as much as I have.  It is definitely still in the works, though I'm changing the structure a bit.  Instead of doing it every Thursday, I will instead post it on a more random basis, as the authors and topics become available.  There are two really good ones in the hopper right now, so keep your eyes peeled!

I've been so excited to tell you about a new little dealihoo I'm working on with Sophie of BooMama.  Many of you have probably already seen the fantastic site Culture11; they offer thoughtful and reasoned cultural commentary from a conservative perspective.  See this from their about page (I love it):

Here, we do not toe a party line. We promise you will not find stale, polarizing and sensationalized political news but smart conversations that speak to how we live today. You will be entertained by something more interesting and intelligent than down scale gossip and cruel humor.

For the next few months, Sophie and I will be working together to write a column for them on (brace yourself for the profound intellectual and cultural significance)…American Idol.  We'll be doing recaps and commentary, and it starts tonight with Sophie's first article (mine will be up tomorrow night).  If you're an AI fan, please plan to come visit us there.  I'll post a link each week for those of you who might want to find it; if it's not your cup of tea, then that's just dandy, too.

Last thing…thank you for response to Heather's guest post about CPSIA yesterday, and thanks especially to those of you who linked back to it on your own blogs, or Twittered about it.  While it's been a big story inside the crafting community for quite some time, I think it's important for those of us who are simply consumers to jump on board as well!  Be sure and check out this excellent resource page at Cool Mom Picks.

I think that's it, except that I am feeling the need to conclude with this:

Have a good day.

39 thoughts on “Hodge Podge

1. Amanda - VintageDutchGirl says:

I thought to myself this morning that we only get to watch ONE HOUR of 24 next week!
    That isn’t going to be sufficient…I’ve been spoiled with the whole 2 hours a night thing 😉
    And yes, I’m looking over my shoulder too!

2. Melene says:

I was so excited when I realized yesterday that I had two more hours of 24 to look forward to. And I TOTALLY know what you mean about always wanting to look over your shoulder after watching it. The tv show Damages on FX with Glenn Close does the same thing to me. But I still watch both of them-even now, while my husband is deployed 8,000 miles away!

3. Octamom says:

I watched parts, pieces and bits of the premiere as I was hustling laundry and bedtimes and still have no clue how to run the DVR….so my understanding of the plot line is a bit, um, spotty…
    Is it something like this? Bad guys, national security, Jack goes rogue, Tony is a double agent, and the redheaded female agent is a possible love interest…am I close?
    Blessings!

4. Rachel says:

Songbirdtiff’s comment is funny – I too am afraid to watch it! Not because I think I’ll leave and become a spy, but because I’m told that once I start, I won’t be able to stop. I’ve got the first season on DVD…but haven’t dared to start it yet! 🙂

5. Megan@SortaCrunchy says:

I have to confess I was the worst 24 fan EVER last night.
    Hubby and I got all snuggled in to watch . . . a little too snuggled I suppose . . . and . . . I FELL ASLEEP!
    Never in the years (seriously, years!) that I’ve been watching 24 have I ever fallen asleep. I woke up feeling deeply ashamed of myself, what with having let Jack and the entire country down. tsk tsk. Good thing I recorded it (like always) for back-up.

6. sillydoodah says:

Haha! After our days of 24 marathons my roommate and I were always “opening up a secure socket”, “uploading the dailies”, “creating a satelite uplink”, or “setting up a perimeter.” And whenever we’d be on the cellphone while driving, we’d sign off with “I’ll be there in 20 minutes.” 😀
    Thanks for the hodge podge.

7. Susan says:

You are a woman after my heart. My husband purchased the first 6 seasons of 24. They air it here in Germany, but it is of course dubbed into German. My German is ok, but not good enough to get all of the fast intrigue. So we are now watching Season 2! It is scary how we waste a night watching this, I cannot stop the DVD!!!!! Help!!!

8. WorkingHardMom says:

I’m ashamed to admit that we (hubby and I) both forgot that 24 started Sunday night. We were all excited about the little teaser they showed in November and put the house on shutdown to watch every second of it.
    We did watch it last night and LOVED it! I’m a little lost because I was helping with homework, but I know I’ll figure it all out.
    BTW – I really love annoying hubby with my impression of the “boop, beep” at every commercial break. LOL

9. Diane says:

Sigh. I resisted watching at all until after season four. I ripped through the DVDs of the first season in less than two months (via Blockbuster by mail – I’d watch and return ASAP), then ripped through season five in ten days as soon as it came out on DVD, the December before season 6 started.
    I watched season six live, and was so incredibly disappointed.
    This year looks to be much, much better.

10. Holly @ Crownlaiddown says:

My Chris and I have just started watching the first season of “24” from our library. Ooooh!!! My Word, I think that it should count as a work out for the heart. We are on the 5th one right now.
    I can’t wait to read y’all’s American Idol posts!! How much fun!
    Have a blessed day, Sister!

11. Mom101 says:

Thanks so much for including Cool Mom Picks, Shannon! And for spreading the word about our beloved handmade community.
    It seems from this that there is also a beloved 24 community, but I admit I’m terrified to become one of you – I know if I were to watch I’d be instantly smitten and spend the next 18 consecutive days shirking all responsibilities and watching every episode. Maybe next time I win the lottery?

12. suburbancorrespondent says:

Blogrolls and readers serve 2 different purposes. Blogrolls let others know what you enjoy reading. Readers are simply a way of organizing for your own use what you read every day, blogwise.
    Blogger has an excellent Bloglist plugin – it lists the blogs you read in your sidebar (like the traditional blogroll), but in order of most recent posting. So the top blog on the list is the one posted to most recently. That way the list rotates. It is also hyperlinked to the latest post of each listed blog. I’m not explaining it well, but go to my blog if you like and check it out. I think it’s great. Keeps it current and up-to-date.

13. Melissa S says:

I feel the same way about ’24’! We had recorded, and just watched last week, the 2hr ’24 Redemtion’ movie, then Sunday and Monday . . . I dreamed about it last night and couldn’t keep straight thoughts today! That’s ok – daily thought of Jack!

14. Beth/Mom2TwoVikings says:

I spent 2.5 hrs last night sitting in the dark, biting my nails watching the first four episodes online at Fox.com since my DVR went on the blink. DaHubby just laughed and fell asleep on the couch! MEN! *wink*

15. Holli T. says:

I am a rabid fan of 24 as well! I have rehearsals every Monday and Tuesday for a musical I’m in… so PLEASE, I repeat, PLEASE… do NOT reveal vital show info until Wednesday!
    We used the DVR and watched the second episode last night. LOVE IT!
    And, I linked back to you on the CPSIA thing. Legislation is more and more like kudzu… you don’t notice cause it’s everywhere, but one night it’s going to come in through the window and choke you while you sleep!
    Holli T.

16. KimC says:

Shannon,
    If you enjoyed 24, you’ve got to see this video: 24: The Unaired 1994 Pilot. Hilarious!
    Hubby and I did the same thing – the 24 marathon. We kept just peeking at the next episode and couldn’t turn it off. Wound up staying up nearly all night, several nights in a row if memory serves. I think we watched the entire season in 3 days? And hubby forbade me to rent any other seasons.

17. susan says:

So does watching 24 count as exercise? Elevated heart rate and all? Our reception via UK satellite is all on delay and we can’t access current shows “outside of the US” so we are patiently waiting for the next 2 hr installment.
    And will have to read the American Idol recaps on the weekends! Also on delay – very tricky as Yahoo tries to sabotage us with “new” news. Fun.

18. Stephanie says:

I’ve never seen “24.” What other shows would you compare it to? We’re not big TV/movie watchers around here, but we do have a few “favorites” – namely Lost, Psych, and Fringe.
    RE: the blogroll. I recently nixed my blogroll and have a “Favorites” page instead: http://metropolitanmama.net/favorites/. I found that blogrolls are ineffective and that most people don’t really pay attention to them…so I decided to try something different. And that’s what I came up with. 🙂

19. Tammy says:

Hubby, son & I watched two hours one night then two the next of 24. We can’t wait for the next one! Is it good and keeping you on the edge of your seat or what? Just when you think you have it all figured out, they throw another monkey wrench into it. I love the drama and the wondering. And I love how you talk about it. Too funny!

20. Musings of a Housewife says:

You’re HI-larious. Hub and I settled in to watch 24 last night and “relax” and we were both so stressed by the end of the show we needed a muscle relaxer to sleep. Just kidding, man, was I tense! I’m not sure I can handle this season – those precious kids!! (We were watching Redemption.)