But My Lips Are Silky Soft

Last week Hubs was cleaning out my desk drawer.  Partly because he is good to me, and partly because it is his preference that when one pulls on a desk drawer, one might expect that the desk drawer be unencumbered enough to open.  Picky, picky.

"Hey," he called.  "You might want to come look at this."

Here's what he had found in my one desk drawer:

Carmex

"I think you have a problem," he said.

I pointed out that if I had a "problem", they would all be Carmex.  As there is a trend-breaking Burt's Bees throwing in the stash, I assured him, I do not have a "problem", I merely have a "preference". (And, it would appear, a tendency for losing lids.)

72 thoughts on “But My Lips Are Silky Soft

1. Upstatemom says:

Ha – he would not want to try and open my drawers. ANd they all have multiples of everything I use – once they go in the drawer who knows if I will find them again. πŸ™‚

2. Tasha says:

I’m impressed! How do manage not to lose all of them? I keep buying Carmex and other delightful lip-loving concoctions and I can’t find them 3 days later!

3. Bailey's Leaf says:

Now for me, I’m not a fan of gooshy things that squish out of tubes to put on my lips. I’m always worried that perhaps I might have that white un-rubbed in look going on. I’m that klassy, you know. I’m more of a sticky-stick preference kind of girl. Blistex is my preference, but in a pinch I admit that I’ll take anything. Anything but those tubs that require you to rub your finger in and onto your lips. My germaphobeness just can’t get past the pot of potential disease that I’d be rubbing on my lips and giving them a direct highway straight into my mouth. To that, I say ICK!

4. SusieQ says:

After hearing my husband complain that he couldn’t find a single screwdriver in the workshop, I told him to look in his computer desk drawer. There were six (!) already in there. At least your drawer is not full of tools that should have been put back where they belong, and your husband is not asking “where’s” because he doesn’t remember where he actually put them.

5. Stacy says:

How do you know you have a tendency for losing lids??? You chould check your son’s Lego men and see if they all have red army helmets and have been turned to soldiers!!!

6. Photoqueen says:

I have a chapstick everywhere – in the bathroom, by my bed, in the car, in my office – you never know when you’re going to need chapstick. Unless you’re me, and then you know you’re going to need it pretty much every 15 minutes of your waking hours.

7. Janelle says:

We have the same countertops! Our problem is moisturizing chapstick. My 2 yo daughter likes to put it on cover her entire face and then eat it, so I have to keep lots handy.

8. Mandi says:

Haha, that looks familiar probably to more women then your husband would be willing to admit! I made my friend clean out her giant “purse” recently and inside we found I think 18 lip gloss/stick/chapstick. 18!!! In her PURSE!
    Oh, and I was going to say your problem isn’t with the quantity, it’s with the lack of lids πŸ˜‰ hehe!

9. Mama Bub says:

My husband and I both put chapstick in each other’s stocking. Three week after Christmas, he’s asking, “Where’s my chapstick?” I’ve relocated all of his to my diaper bag, purse, car, etc. It’s a sickness.

10. Tiffany says:

I have chapstick stashed in every part of the house. Kitchen, living room, office, two in the bedroom, and several in my purse. I don’t have a problem. I don’t.

11. amy says:

This is hilarious! It reminds me a lot of a conversation I have had with my husband. I like to make sure I have a tube in almost every room and bag. I don’t want to have to venture far to mend my lips πŸ™‚

12. Alisa Young says:

I have carmex and burts bees (mostly carmex) in nearly every coat pocket, night stand, drawer, shelf, purse, van etc. My lips are soft and silky and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Just tell your hubs he should be glad it’s $1 carmex instead of $20 department store lipstick/lip gloss.

13. Melissa valentine says:

question… how does one remove a lid, apply chapstick, and not recall where the lid went in those four seconds? granted i’m a little OCD so everything has a place and a home and a way of being put there. but none the less i thought this was great. we all have little “collections” of things stashed where we know we can find them in a pinch!

14. MamaHenClucks says:

I was gonna mention the lost lids! Unfortunately, that is what my PURSE looks like. I love my carmex, but I’m not sharing it with the chickies- there is one for each of us in there!

15. Ellen says:

That made me smile. I have a general tendency to hoard skin products, right now I’m obsessed with shower gel, stuff is taking up half a shelf in the linen closet. But the linen closet smells pretty great! BTW, if any of you guys are game, I did a post today about your favorite room in your home. It’s the first time I’ve ever done a meme, and now I’m worried it’s going to be one lonely meme and nobody will participate, so in the name of web goodwill, maybe just a couple of you could join in? I will return the favor! My blog is mostly about life with my child, who had a stroke at birth, but I wanted to try something that was just pure fun. I love looking at other people’s homes!

16. Alyson says:

I have a friend that loves lipgloss (the kind in a similar tube to the Carmex, but it’s flavored and you get it at like Bath & Body Works or Victoria’s Secret). Once she pulled a couple flavors out and one of my other friends asked her how many she had. She dumped her (rather large) purse and had TWENTY TWO in there!!!
    I had a B&BW body lotion collection going, but I tossed a bunch of it last night when I realized I’ve had some of it so long it doesn’t smell good anymore. Yuck!

17. Jenn says:

I have a lip balm addiction. I’m not afraid to admit it. I like all kinds and buy all kinds and my husband thinks it’s wierd…until he has chapped lips and comes begging for mercy. Sometimes I let him use one of the ones I don’t like as much πŸ˜‰

18. Superchikk says:

That’s awesome. I have to keep something on my lips all the time or else they chap and peel. Husband says it’s strange, weird, and that my lips are addicted to it and it’s a vicious cycle. But what does he know? πŸ™‚

19. Blue Castle says:

My husband has the same preference for drawers that open. All the time. It can be annoying.
    There’s just nothing like having silky lips. I’ve got tubes of Birts’ Bees everywhere in my house. Now if I could just find one when I need it…..

20. Jessica says:

That’s great! I’m addicted to Chapstick. I have one in every coat pocket, beside my bed, in every medicine cabinet, each of my boys has their own (almost 3-year-old and a 1-year-old), in my makeup drawer, in our desk drawer, in every car…they’re everywhere. But is seems when I really need one, I can’t find one so I buy some more. My husband piled mine up once and said I need to stop buying Chapstick.

21. mkw says:

tell hubby it’s better to find them in the drawer than the dryer. . . which is what happened at our house to an ill-fated, albeit clean, tube of Carmex and an unfortunate load of laundry. mkw

22. RLR says:

I’m with Jessica – I have them everywhere, and I still buy more because mine get lost…. My kids have their own in my purse this time of year. I will try Carmex on mosquito bites this summer (thanks Carolyn @ Willow Tree). And, if you have flexible spending dollars, I have good news – our flex spending will reimburse for Carmex (woohoo!). That, though, has not made me 100% brand loyal – sometimes I want a little shimmer or a yummy fragrance, so I’ll buy anything out there that catches my eye. I bought an 8-pack of “holiday” chap-sticks right after Christmas. I’m not sure what made them holiday, but they were 1/2 off the day after Christmas – yeah!

23. kay says:

Laughing so hard. I thought I was the only one to do a post about ‘chapstick’! Guess not. : ) Although my brand of choice is Avon Care Deeply. Love. It. Smooth and creamy, yet light and not much smell. And if you catch it on sale, its less than a buck a tube. Sweet!

24. Gretchen says:

About the mouse issue. You may have caught the mamma, leaving a nest of babies to die in your wall (I mean unless you put out poison, it is pretty random for a mouse just to keel over in the wall)…so you may have way more than just one dead mouse in there, and the odor may be a bit intense. For a while. Sorry!

25. Chrsity says:

I used to be a Carmex Fiend. I would go through tubes and tubes of that stuff. I moved on to the hard stuff though….http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/bodyshop/browse/product_detail.jsp?categoryId=cat30022&productId=prod5950019 is the best lip balm I have ever found. It’s pricey, but it lasts a loooong time.
    And I totally had to buy a tube of Carmex at Wal Mart today. I was out in the -4F temps and found myself without my regular tube. The smell makes me rush right back to High School!

26. k&c's mom says:

Looks like my drawer. I was all for Burts Bees until I found out that CLOROX bought them out. So much for that “natural” sales pitch!
    I am a first grade teacher who has mistaken an Elmer’s glue stick in my “recess coat” pocket for Chapstick.

27. Hillary @ The Dunham Diaries says:

I am carmex loyal and I think I’m going to have to report you to the group for your variance there.
    Actually, I think I have about 10 tubs (not tubes) in the house. My husband swears there is crack in them. Why else would one go through withdrawals without it?

28. Sarah @ Short Stop says:

Praise be to Jesus that I am not the only one who loses Carmex lids. You make me feel so normal.
    I think I would have broken into my best squeaky wolf voice and responded, “Softer to kiss you with, my dear.”

29. Amy@ Joy of my Heart says:

You know, I have heard from more than one person that Carmex is very addictive. It is meant for cold sores and has a “drying” ingredients in it. But most people don’t know that and get hooked on it… then the whole “put on the Carmex, love the tingley lips feeling, then the “dry out the lips” feeling kicks in and then you reapply the Carmex “pattern kicks in. It’s not meant to be used as a chapstick…I guess unless your lips have cold sores all over them and then you would need it ALL the time.
    The Burt’s Bees is the best choice! πŸ™‚

30. Laurin says:

My must have lip balm is Smith’s Rosebud Salve, but I do love the Carmex smell. I swear, I need the stuff from the first cold day until it’s fully summer!

31. Liza at A Maui Blog says:

LOL! would your loving husband want to clean my desk too? I’d have the same thing – Carmex and Burt Bees (and yes, more Carmex than BB; and yes with caps missing). Glad to see I am not the only one πŸ˜‰

32. Dorci says:

Oh my gosh, that just cracked me up. I have a 19 year old son who is obsessed with chapstick. But it can’t be just any chapstick. It has to be my chapstick. I have given him a dozen tubes of chapstick, which he promptly loses. I keep a tube on my desk to use while I’m working and one in my purse, of course. He is constantly coming in, grinning at me, and picking up my chapstick. Or borrowing my purse chapstick in the car. Or my chapstick will just be missing altogether. I’ve taken to hiding away chapstick so I don’t have to run to the store when mine’s been stolen. I’ve even tried buying pink chapstick, to no avail. He doesn’t care what color it is, as long as it makes his lips silky soft.

33. litabug says:

Have to confess I’ve been using leftover Lansinoh on my lips ever since I weaned my daughter. It totally works!
    My husband just asked me if I was reading “Mommy’s in the Dryer.” Silly boy. πŸ™‚