I Cannot Believe I Am About To Say This

I promise, this is the last post I will ever write that has anything to do with rodents, at least until the next time I feel the need to write about rodents.

Here's the good news: the smell is lessening.  Thank you for all your funny and encouraging and otherwise grotesque feedback.  The open containers of coffee grounds have helped, and I think the 18-degree weather hasn't hurt, either.  Though that does make me wonder if we might get to reacquaint ourselves with our malodorous friend when the weather warms up.

Clark, that's the gift that keeps giving the who-o-o-o-o-ole year.

I think I managed to keep my cool pretty well during the original mouse fiasco.  But now that I know there's a dead one in the wall?  I'm not keeping my cool.  In fact, I'm going a little crazy.  Remember that short story by Edgar Allan Poe, where the creepy murderer buries the heart under the floor boards but he can still hear it beating?

(By the way, if you're new here, hi, I'm Shannon, and I don't normally blog about murderers and beating hearts under floor boards, and please will you come back sometime?)

Yes, well, I'm not hearing any beating hearts, but I'm finding myself living with an acute awareness of the dead mouse in my wall.  Even with the smell going away, the idea haunts me.  I have determined that, so help me, there will be no more mice in this house, ever.

And for the first time, I have entertained the notion of getting a cat.  This is significant for two reasons:

1.  I really hate cats.  Truly.  I'm sorry if you're a cat person, and I'm sure you're perfectly lovely, but your pet alarms me.  I am not especially fond of humans who put on airs of superiority, and I absolutely cannot abide it in an animal.  And of course, I'm sure your sweet cat is the exception, but I can tell you that I have never met a cat who did not look down his furry little nose at me.  And wouldn't it be unethical to get a pet that I have no intention of ever liking?

2.  My ten-year-old son and I are both violently allergic to cats.  Our faces get all puffy and red, and our throats itch, and we sneeze like crazy.  I wonder, would daily allergy pills be enough to combat the intense allergy?  Right now, I'd consider wearing a chain of Claritin around my neck everyday, if it meant no mice.

I decided to do a little research, just to find out what my options are.  I am not pleased.

First of all, Wikipedia tells me that "some allergy sufferers find relief in periodic injection therapy designed to stimulate the body's natural immune responses to the cat allergen."

I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday, y'all.  They're talking about SHOTS.

Plan B was to Google "hypoallergenic cats".

And may God have mercy on us, because they are making cats in laboratories.  They have been bred not to trigger allergies, and Time Magazine listed them as one of the "Best Inventions of 2006".  (A cat is an invention?  Sounds like the premise of an M. Night Shyamalan movie to me.)  Furthermore, these cats cost $4,000–that's FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS–and there is over a one-year waiting list.  I just shake my head.

One last option was to check into "hairless cats" (did you know there is such a thing?) and Wikipedia showed me this, which was all I needed to see, thank you:

Cat

Bless its heart, it looks so unhappy, but I suspect you would too, if you looked just like Gollum.  While I'm sure it's a sweet little thing, I can tell you that I would not be able to sleep with that in my house.

So I'm back to square one, wondering if there's even any possibility for us to get a cat.  I once again throw myself on your mercy for advice, if you've dealt with this.  Is it possible for a cat allergy to be managed?  Are there types of breeds that are less irritating to allergies (in particular, breeds that don't require a down payment or look like a lizard) ?

Internet, I'm all ears.  (Not as "all ears" as Gollum-Cat, but still all ears.)

199 thoughts on “I Cannot Believe I Am About To Say This

1. Beth says:

I was allergic to cats – but when we had an (ahem) issue with mice I decided to get a cat. Nobody pets the cat when I am around and she isn’t allowed in my room. We have hard wood floors which helps as well. I don’t take medicine and have found that I can tolerate her more and more the longer she is around.
    Good Luck!

2. Tabitha (From Single to Married) says:

Oh Shannon, you poor thing! I had to comment about the cat – my aunt has one of the furless cats, a Sphinx I believe. She’s named him Slick (for obvious reasons). The funny thing is that he is the sweetest little thing I’ve ever met. Personally, I think it’s to make up for the fact that he doesn’t have fur so he’s over-compensating. But as sweet as he is, I wouldn’t want to get one like him.
    So, I don’t have a solution for you, just wanted to sympathize…
    πŸ™‚

3. Amber says:

My boyfriend is violently allergic to his cat. The cat was a present from an ex-girlfriend, but that’s a whole separate story. Anyway, my bf takes double the regular Zyrtec dose twice a day and still has issues with headaches and snoring. But…. the cat is pretty darn awesome and won’t be going anywhere for a good, oh… 10-12 years if he plans to be an old cat. Sigh. Good luck!

4. H.E.Eigler says:

Cats are really annoying in that they never do what you want them to do, or what you think they will do. So chances are, you’d get a cat who would refuse to hunt the vermin. Just so ya know….

5. Thrifty Karen says:

Ramble on much? lol Thanks for the laugh. I was laughing so much at that ugly wrinkled up cat.
    Seriously though, there are other ways to get rid of mice. Maybe get some bait boxes from the pest control company.
    I really like cats, but I know what you mean about them acting superior. I actually had one cat that didn’t. He was just the sweetest thing ever. When my cat gets too moody, I just leave town for a day or two and when I come home she’s sweet and lovable . . . for a while. πŸ˜‰

6. Denise says:

OK, seriously…which one is worse? A cute little tiny thing that runs out of your way when you turn the light on (I had one run across my bare foot a couple years ago) or a cat that looks surprisingly LIKE a deformed little mouse only much, much bigger. It’s disturbing. I think I’d rather not see the mouse I knew was there than I would like to wake up to that cat and have it follow me around the house all day. It’s so ugly and I don’t care how sweet it is. {{shiver}} πŸ™‚

7. momranoutscreaming says:

I have two suggetions. You could look into an alternative allergist that practices NAET. There’s a website with the info on the process. You could also look into a Maine Coon cat. I have heard that they are less allergenic than other cats. I don’t know about that but I do know they act more like dogs and are totally cool and really pretty. Good Luck
    Kellie

8. Andrea (from The Train to Crazy) says:

I’ve always wondered what a hairless cat feels like curled up on you lap…
    I grew up with mice in our house. The cat was GREAT at catching them. Problem is she’d always bring them to my mother, as if to say “see, aren’t you proud?” My mother never appreciated this, especially in the middle of the night.

9. litabug says:

Here’s an excerpt for you from a suite101 article about cats as pest control. Because I just know you’ll love it.
    “One of the bigger problems with cats catching mice indoors is the mess. Cats often eat their prey, but not always. When they do, they don’t always consume 100% of the prey. They also have a tendency to bring outdoor catches indoors and consume them there, leaving a pile of feathers or fur on the floor. These should be removed as soon as possible to avoid health risks.”

10. LadyCiani says:

We had mice at our high school band room. Band director gets 2 cats. Mice lived in the walls and never came out. Cats caught nothing. Exterminator called (eventually). End of mice.
    Just bite the bullet and call. A good one will go around your house sealing up the minuscule holes where the mice are currently entering, which will solve your problem.

11. mkw says:

I’m not one to enjoy cats in the house. Especially my house. But, we have one for my daughter. The cat is a bother. Just sign up with a good pest control company. . . MKW

12. suburbancorrespondent says:

Supposedly Maine cooncats are a fairly hypoallergenic breed. But, seriously, from someone who hates her mouse problem as much as you do yours – is it really worth putting yourself and your kid on constant medication? And maybe triggering asthma problems after long exposure? Don’t bother. Better, borrow a neighbor’s cat (that is already a proven mouser) for a couple of days.

13. Big Mama says:

First of all that hairless cat is going to give me nightmares. I think I’d choose mice over something that looks like the spawn of satan.
    Secondly, if you go for a cat with hair switch to Zyrtec instead of Claritin. I could bore you with all the pharmacodynamic reasons why, but just trust me on this one.
    Third, you crack me up.

14. Julie says:

Don’t snakes eat mice? Are you allergic to snakes?
    I’m totally kidding – because, ya know, it would have to be loose in the house to do any good and frankly, I’d rather have mice.

15. Jewel says:

Shannon, not all cats hunt. In fact, most domesticated cats don’t. I believe if you get a cat that does hunt, it reflects an aggressive personality, which is not good in a house where there are young children. It is really hit or miss getting a cat that is pleasant. You really have to go along with the cat and it moods, personality, there is no training them. You may end up with one that wants to sit and watch the mice run around, I did. I recommend pest service.

16. Megan says:

No allergies here (yet) that we know of, but we became the unintentional owners of three (count ’em: THREE) cats after Christmas.
    I know this house has a history with mice, because the previous owners left all the traps in place and we saw a LOT of droppings under the old dishwasher when we replaced it.
    All I know is that I had a heck of a cricket problem in the basement before the cats. Since the cats have arrived I’ve not had one single bug to deal with and I really really really like that. I have no doubts they will get any mice they might find.
    I just don’t want to know about it.
    And that hairless cat? Yikes!

17. Vicky says:

Okay, I am laughing so hard at the hairless cat that I have tears POURING down my face. Like it took me a second to click “comment” because I couldn’t see. The comparison to Gollum in particular was what got me. If you do get a cat, can you please please please name it Gollum no matter how much hair it has? πŸ™‚
    I don’t have any actual advice, since I also hate them. Oh, except maybe you could get an outdoors cat, which would keep the mice from entering the house in the first place???

18. Real Mom, Real Life says:

I am laughing out loud… I feel your pain. I am not a cat person either AND have a child that is terribly allergic — as in never ever go around one.
    The allergist actually said the whole hypo allergenic cat thing was a racket — same with hairless cats. Which by the way is quite creepy.
    How about a bird dog — or some other type of hunting animal… maybe?
    I would probably get a bunch of gloves and tell my kids that they get 10 bucks for every dead mouse they bring to me. 2 rules, wear the gloves and don’t tell me how it died.

19. D says:

As to what a hairless cat feels like…..the adjective is “flaccid” and you can figure out the noun yourself.
    It is the saliva and dander that causes the allergy, but according to my animal health technician friend, it’s specific animals that cause her problems, not any particular sex or type.

20. Carrie@Blessed Chaos says:

My dog (a non shedding terrier mix) has caught many more mice than my cat ever has! Although this was always outside and my cat only has three legs – I wonder if that makes a difference.
    Oh and when the cat did catch a mouse he played with it. It was horrible to watch, I actually had some compassion for the mouse and was hoping the cat would hurry up and kill it to take it out of its misery!
    I am sorry to be so entertained by your dilemma, but your posts have been hilarous.

21. Kim says:

I had mice once…now I have a cat. My husband maintains that the cat has never shown evidence of catching a mouse. I say, if her presence alone makes them run, that’s good enough for me!
    We are not allergic though, so I have no advice, sorry!
    Loved the story though and the picture…it looks just like my cat..only without hair and about 10lbs lighter!

22. Gia says:

We live in an apartment and in the spring a squirrel comes to live in the wall next to our bed. Holy hell, it makes me crazy.
    I feel your pain.

23. Sarah Joy says:

Ya know, the presence of a cat does not automatically make the mice disappear. It has to go after the mice. This involves chasing, catching, and disposing of the remains. You may or may not be blessed with a trophy hunting cat which proudly brings you “gifts”. Or the type with a streak of fun that just plays with its half dead victim for hours. (Yes I had this dear little critter. I can recall removing the same lizard from the house, in various stages of disrepair, four times in the same day. The cat would find wherever I tossed it, and bring it back in through the pet door.)
    Just a thought. A good mouser is usually not the nicest cat on the block anyway. I say this honestly, because I like cats generally, but I sympathize with your plight.

24. Jenny says:

I’d keep the mice if I had to live with that hairless cat!!LOL…and I’m a cat person!!
    Oy…I’m hoping I don’t dream of Gollumeow tonight!!
    Good luck with the mice!

25. Tamlynn says:

Oh, that was so funny. Not that I’m happy you have a mouse problem. Just want to say I am starting the allergy shots this month. NOT excited. But what am I going to do when a my daily doses of Claritin, Singulair, Nasonex AND Astelin (another nasal spray) leave me gasping for breath by the end of the day?
    Yeah, I guess I could just get rid of the cat, but its not my only allergy.

26. se7en says:

Oh the hairless cat makes E.T. look like a cuddly pet – I would go with the hairless cat – any rodent seeing that would run for miles… and miles, no violence needed – just a bit of blind terror… Come to think of it just plant that cat on your doorstep and you won’t have a problem with visitors either – they would be running screaming down the street too… The ultimate solution – I need that cat, I will never have to clean my house again!!!

27. Upstatemomof3 says:

I am a cat lover and have two cats. They are both short hair cats and most people I know with allergies are able to be in my home without much issue. Maybe you could look into short hair cats.

28. Sue D says:

Shannon, I agree with the people suggesting the pest service. If you get a good one, they will get rid of your mice. It might cost a few hundred dollars but it’s worth it.
    I really sympathize with you. When we first moved into our house, we had mice in our basement (but never in our living areas- thank you, Lord) and I spent all day with my eye on the basement door, just waiting for one of them to squeeze underneath! I cried, told my husband that I would move out if I ever saw any upstairs, etc. Suffice it to say, the pest company fee was well worth it to me!

29. Melanie says:

I’d go with the pest service. My son is allergic, but not violently, and Rx meds didn’t really help him while we had our cat. If you guys are that badly allergic, I wouldn’t take the chance.

30. Viv says:

Big sympathy over the mouse-in-wall debacle. I’ve been trying to track down the source of the repulsive smell in my dining room for weeks now. Last night we finally pulled out the massive bookcase from its alcove and found that child number 1 has been stashing broccoli (& anything else he doesn’t like I presume – nothing else was identifiable…)down the back for who knows how long. Ick. Incidentally, my cats used to catch frogs & let them loose in the utility room. They must have all sought refuge under the washing machine because when we moved house we found lots of little froggy skeletons underneath.At least they didn’t smell…!

31. Steph says:

I have a few solutions, not sure if you will like any of them.
    -Decon lots of it outside your house if you have a crawlspace use it! It does work.
    -Those electronic things you plug into the wall are suppose to repel mice. I have some and it does a good job at making the spiders go away and making any fly to come into my house act like it’s on speed, but not so sure about the mice thing. I have rats and they aren’t bothered by them.
    -Pet rats… yep you could get a few rats in a cage and that is typically enough to keep the mice away. Rats prey on mice. BTW: You could get a hairless rat or two if you wanted lol. They are just as creepy as the cat.
    -Ferrets. You can litter train it, it’s cheaper, and they act alot like kittens and never really turn into a full grown cat personality so it’s like having a kitten all the time. Mine runs free several hours a day, my friend has places to put several litter boxes around her home so hers doesn’t have a cage. He uses the litter. Ferrets will eat a rat or mouse in a heartbeat!

32. Tonia says:

Shannon,
    This post is one of the reasons I keep coming back to your blog. I love your sense of humor. It’s not everyone that can make me laugh before I finish my first cup of coffee, and I really like starting the day on a high note.
    As for the cat/mouse issue. I don’t have a suggestion about the cat, but I have lived in a house where we had issues with mice. First of all I HATE mice, and to be honest, I’m very scared of them (I know, crazy). I did everything I could to get rid if the mice short of getting a pet snake. Some did die in the walls and it stank to high heaven but it didn’t last forever (about a week or 2), maybe a trip is in order.
    We were finally able to leave the mouse hotel and in our new home haven’t had even a little trouble for 2 reasons. 1: We have outdoor cats (we live in the country). They really help even if outside. 2: And, this is scary, we have a king snake that lives under a walnut tree a short ways from the house. I’ve never seen him but my husband has & I avoid that area of our farm. I find its not so hard to live with the idea of a snake if I never see it. By the way my daughters have seen it and think it’s “cute” as long as they don’t have to touch it. Bless my husbands heart, thanks to him my girls are true country girls.

33. laurasalas says:

No practical advice–sorry! But I have to say living with mice has to be better than living with a creepy cat like that one or even a nice cat that you can’t stand. Hope you find a good solution!

34. Linda Sue says:

About Sphinx cats (sometimes called hairless) feel like a suede hot water bottle when they sit on you, since they have no hair to utilize natural skin oils – they need to be bathed or you’ll have oily spots when they lay, cats don’t all hunt. SO don’t get a cat – as everyone has suggested – an exterminator and be done with it. I wondered when you decided not to open the wall to rid your home of the decaying mouse whether you could stand knowing it was there – a decent repair job will still be cheaper than acquiring an unwanted pet.

35. Blue Castle says:

I feel so much better about our mice issues now that you’ve been blogging about yours. I’m positive we have some hanging around our house. I don’t see their droppings, but every night, I can hear something scratching around in the air vents. It drives me nuts, and now I’m just hoping they don’t die in there.
    I’m allergic to cats also, and feel exactly the same way about them that you do, but it seems the only way to be rid of the mice would be to get a cat. We’ve been tossing the idea around too. My only fear is that we’d end up with some stupid cat that doesn’t know its’ job is to catch mice. How will we know for sure that cat is going to hunt those buggers down? What if we get a dud or a lazy cat?
    I’ll have to stalk this thread to see what everyone else says. πŸ™‚
    Thank you for being so brave as to share your mice troubles with the world.

36. Bailey's Leaf says:

No advice here. Just laughing my butt off. Now, if that laughter can take off 8 pounds, my ticker can be removed! πŸ™‚
    Good luck on your hunt for a loveable, hypoallergenic wonder.

37. Me says:

I’m going anonymous for this story. When we lived with my parents back in the day we had 3 cats…count them, three LARGE fierce cats who regularly went outdoors and brought us large birds and mice they would hunt down outside.
    One day we found ourselves overrun by RATS in the house. Not a mouse, it was a colony of rats! WE got 3 HUGE ones with traps and then they wouldn’t take the bait anymore.
    Not one cat caught even a small rat.
    You want to talk about a smell in the wall? Imagine 10 or so rats dying in your walls. THAT’S BAD!!!
    WE moved out right before they started smelling and we didn’t visit the parents for a good two months.
    The moral of the story? Cats will not always catch mice…or rats.

38. Jen says:

We have aminiature daschund who hunts everything…flies, flashlight beams and , yes, mice. She doesn’t always catch the mice, but we’ve either been able to mroe effectively set traps or the word is out in the mouse community that this house is being terrorized. We’ve had far fewer problems.
    As a fellow cat allergy sufferer, I would have to agree that it isn’t worth your health to get a cat.

39. Lisa F says:

My cat is a Japanese Bobtail cat and he is supposed to hypoallergenic. No one here is allergic so I can’t testify to the accuracy of that statment but…Now on the “catness” of him, well, he hasn’t kicked us out of his house yet:-) He is quite snooty and only wants you when he wants you but we are cat people and are willing to take what we can get. Hope you find a solution soon–I so don’t like mice!

40. CptMom says:

I don’t have any advice.
    I just have to tell you that those hairless cats give me the creeps.
    And I had a friend who had one and it’s name was Gollum. I laughed when I saw that.

41. Linda says:

OH MY! That is one ugly cat in the photo. LOL!
    We have a cat…..a very LAZY cat. She would probably not chase a mouse away if she had to.
    I keep telling her that TOM chases JERRY but well….she doesn’t listen to me! She would rather eat and sleep.

42. Emmie says:

If you’re in the country, or even semi-so, put the cats outside and feed them somewhat less. Ever watch a cat pursue and kill a mouse? Scary. Reminds me of Satan pursuing someone.

43. Harmony says:

I am quite allergic to cats too. We do have a cat (the shorter hair the better) and I have found that you do eventually get used to it. I still react somewhat but not like I used to. You seem to build a bit of immunity against the cat that lives with you. I would recommend it not be in your room (mine sleeps on our bed half the time) as I find night the hardest with allergies. A friend of mine had a Bengal cat. They are supposed to be hypo-allergenic. They are still pricey but a lot less than $4000.00, they are about $1000.00. You can get them a bit cheaper if they are closer to a year old since they sell for more as small kittens. Good luck!

44. Gina says:

I live practically in the woods (where, incidently, there are TONS of mice, who knew?), and there was a mouse in our house when we bought it. Who knows how longed he had lived here? Anyway, the best way I’ve found to get rid of mice is to not let them in. Before we moved in (and now still, periodically), hubby goes under the house, looks for light shining through anywhere and plugs even the tiniest hole with steel wool. Because mice can chew through wool, plastic, insulation, but not steel wool. It works!

45. Leigh says:

Hairless cats are creepy. And have you ever seen a Maine Coon cat? Dear Lord in heaven, you might as well have a bobcat wandering around your home. THEY’RE HUGE.
    My cats both know their names and come when they’re called and listen. They do, however, turn on the cat-titude when left alone too long or when the food bowl is empty.
    And I’ll echo the statement that not all cats are hunters. However, just because they are hunters doesn’t mean they are an agressive animal.
    When I used to let my two outside (we live in a much busier area now), one would go and hunt and bring me “offerings” of dead whatever parts. Not the whole animal, mind you. Just parts. Gross.
    I asked the vet what was up with that and he said it was her way of thanking me for taking care of her. The cat wasn’t psycho, she was just saving me the choice parts. Ew gross. I’d make a big fuss, tell her she’s a good cat and a good protector, let her inside and promptly take the hose to the porch. I’d find her curled up purring in a sunbeam.
    The other cat kills spiders and roly poly bugs. I’m really okay with this. However, you’d think that she’d just assassinated one of the world’s most wanted criminals every time she does it because of the amount of fanfare she makes.
    Cats are quirky like that.

46. Kansas Mom says:

My husband is allergic as well, but suffering from similar problems, we’ve decided to get some outdoor cats. Of course, we live in the country. As Emmie suggested, we’re going to feed them just enough to keep them around. Apparently, they create a “buffer” zone around the house so the problem should be decreased if not eliminated.

47. sam says:

All my oldest daughter ever asked for was a kitten. After years of the same request she woke up to one on Christmas morning. About 1.5 years later we found out she was allergic to it, and a multitude of other things, however she was determined to keep the cat.
    She did shots and took meds regularly for years. Now she rarely takes meds. (Of course the cat is 13.) One thing we did was keep her room closed off, the cat was/is never allowed in there.
    The downside to this is our cat is an indoor cat and if she ever saw a mouse she wouldn’t know what to do with it. In one of our previous houses she actually did find one and played with it a while before letting it go. We ended up getting a few outdoor cats to help keep the mouse population down. That helped.
    Good luck whatever you decide. And, btw, I felt the same way as you about cats when we got ours. After 13 years, I kinda like her. πŸ™‚

48. SarahMay says:

DON’T DO IT. My husband had a cat when we got married, and I didn’t think twice about it. Now half my family can’t visit our home because they’re allergic. This is even worse now that we have children, because my mom can’t visit her grandchildren in their own home. If she does spend time in our house, she ends up with several days of discomfort (antihistamines notwithstanding), and has even ended up with a sinus infections from all the irritation (especially if she had a bit of a cold to begin with).
    We have seriously considered getting rid of the cat, but don’t want to be irresponsible. An animal is not like a piece of unwanted furniture that you can just donate to Goodwill, much as I would love to leave him on the curb!
    Furthermore, this cat has become extremely lazy (and he’s not even old yet). The last time there was a mouse in the house, he didn’t even chase it. Just batted it around a bit, then watched it run gleefully all over the house. So he’s useless AND annoying!

49. Lara says:

What you need is an OUTDOOR cat. When I was growing up we had a mouse problem at my parents’ house. However they didn’t want to get a cat due to allergy issues and the fact that my dad hates cats. A friend told us that mice in your house actually go in and out, so just having an outdoor cat could solve the problem. It totally worked! They adopted a calico kitten and named her “Mouser” (in the hope that she would develop purpose in life by living up to the meaning of her name LOL). To this day, Mouser happily lives outside (spending the cold nights in the garage) and vigilantly patrols the perimeter of the house for mice. And there hasn’t been a trace of a mouse in the house since Mouser’s arrival.

50. Sarah says:

Have you thought about the little noise makers that plug in. They make an annoying sound to mice but we cannot hear it. Well you can barely hear it if you stick your ear to it. They are truely wonderful. I am also allergic to cats, and detest them. I got these noise makers and only have had one mouse in 4 years, and thats because my husband left our bathroom cabinet open. I think it crawled next to the drain pipe in there. I keep the noise makers in the laundry room and kitchen. Also if you will take steal wool and put around any openings where anything from outside comes in your house (drain pipes,dryer exhaust, water pipes, etc) when they chew thru it, it will get in there intestines and rip them to shreads thus killing them..
    Sorry so long,
    Good luck.

51. Trisha says:

That might be the funniest post I have ever read! Thanks for giving me such a good laugh on a Monday morning. Unfortunately, I have no advice to give you. I feel the same way you do about cats (and I am allergic). There is a really good chance that you could get a cat and 1. it would refuse to hunt and kill the mouse or 2. it would hunt and kill the mouse and then you would have a cat dragging (and potentially eating) a dead mouse around your house. Yuck! You might be better off just praying that the mice disappear πŸ™‚ Good luck and keep us posted.

52. Kristie says:

I am violently allergic to cats too (red, puffy face, itching skin all over and sneezing) and when I live with a cat, even with allergy pills, I end up getting lots of respiratory sicknesses. The allergy pills keep the worst symptoms at bay, but my body still can’t handle things and I get sick.
    My advice, get a cat and keep it outside, if possible. My parents always kept a cat for catching mice, the cats just always lived outside.

53. Valerie says:

Coming from someone who’s husband suffers from severe allergies, I have to chime in here.
    A rat, mouse, creepy crawly of any sort, is not worth the health issues that you or your son could experience from gaining a cat. Yes, some people can take an OTC med and handle a cat. So, do you want to pay $30 a month (each) just so you can have a cat? Some people can build up their tolerance by simply being around them. Others will go into such shock that they will need to go to the hospital. Are you certain that you know which category you fall into?
    I’d rather spend my money hiring someone to come out and examine my house… figure out where the critters are coming in, and fix it. Buy some steel wool.
    And open up the wall to remove the dead mouse. That would haunt me too. Drywall isn’t that expensive to replace. Perhaps now is the time to give your kitchen a makeover.

54. Gwyn says:

Move? Just kidding….
    I am a cat lover and couldn’t do the whole hairless “ugly” cat either.
    My cat’s afraid of his own shadow, I don’t think he’s much of a mouser.

55. Alana @ Gray Matters says:

Our last go round with mice had me thinking I could live with a cat. My feelings about cats are very similar to yours. Thankfully, the feeling passed, and I realized an occasional mouse was much better than a cat walking on my counter tops on a daily basis!

56. MamaHenClucks says:

I just laughed a lot πŸ™‚
    We live next to an open space and ALL of our neighbors have mice. We had a few come into the garage and die in there right after we moved in (which is gross, but tolerable.) I attribute the lack of mice coming in anymore to the GIANT bull snake that lives in a hole next to my foundation. I still can’t tell you which is worse. Knowing a snake is living there, or mice in the house.

57. Marla Taviano says:

Oh, please don’t get a cat! I dislike them for the same reason you do–they unnerve me. I hate that they think they’re better than me, and if I tried to convince them otherwise…well, I’d be talking to a CAT. It’s a no-win situation.
    Although we did have a lot of cats growing up, and they completely took care of the mice problem. And they were outside cats. Maybe that’s your answer.

58. Cory says:

I’ve been allergic to cats my whole life. I took allergy shots for a while, then relied on Flonase and Zyrtec. Then a few months ago I heard of NAET – an allergy elimination technique based on Eastern medicine. There is muscle testing to see if you’re allergic, then they work to “clear” the allergy. You hold a vile of something or other (that contains the energy of whatever you’re allergic to) for 20 minutes, then you avoid the allergen for 25 hours and viola, you’re not allergic anymore. At least that’s the way it’s supposed to work. I have to say, after a few months of working on some other allergies and also on building up my immune system, I don’t have to take Zyrtec daily anymore and we even got a CAT! I’m totally fine around him, when before I would have been reduced to a sneezing, sniffling mess! Google NAET for more info.

59. Richael says:

Oh, Shannon, I’m so sorry about this. I have to wonder though, isn’t there someone to call to “mouse proof” your house. I mean, like come in and say, okay here is where they are coming in and this is what you need to do. I mean, brand new houses typically don’t have mice, I figure in part because there are no holes to get in through, right? And if you find there is no such person, well, then there we have the next future millionaire, because there really should be such a person. I hope you find a workable solution.

60. Rina says:

Oh how awful… and how funny! Thanks for the laugh.
    My Mom LOVES Sphynx cats… I think they’re gross and who wants to pet a cat with no fur?! The very thought gives me the heebie jeebies.
    What about keeping the cat OUTSIDE? Maine Coon cats, as others have said, are amazing and if you do a little research on them you’ll find that they are EXCELLENT mouse hunters (actually, they were originally kept as pets to rid the barns of RATS.) They can totally handle cold weather and I think they have wonderful personalities.
    Personally, I really like the ferret idea… I bet your kids would LOVE that! Can’t wait to see what you decide!

61. celina says:

ok, too much to say, will just do point forms.
    -lived in a country home with TONS of mice, we’d have 6 traps where we thought they were coming in, and at about 3am, we’d hear our cats run, yep all 6 traps full, the fun had begun….I HAVE 3 CATS…one the mice would sit on her head and she’d walk around…i kid you not….
    -one cat ate half the mice and left us the head….uck….
    -the other was just chasing and never caught them, dh had to get up and hunt them with a crocket mallet, we still have this mallet 10 yrs later , its moves with us and is our mouse killer mallet…
    -dh is allergic, i have 3 cats still only one of the originals is left..the one the mice used as transportation….dh developed massive allergies..gets SHOTS every week…allergist says dark haired cats have been shown to be the worst..gave us a whole paper about it, yep we have 2 dark haired and one white and black….
    good luck

62. Linda Sue says:

If you go ahead with this cat idea – the Devon Rex might be a good compromise – very short curly coated and when I had my beloved Seal for 12 years – nobody who came into my house (and I’m a cruddy housekeeper) ever had an allergy problem from Seal.http://www.breedlist.com/devon-rex-breeders.html
    Also – I paid around $500 for him – not cheap but not “raid the kid’s tuition fund” expensive.

63. Erin K. says:

I have no advice for you, but just want to say that I am practically falling out of my chair laughing right now. The Gollum comment sent me over the edge – HILARIOUS! Thanks for starting my Monday off on a great note, and best wishes with the whole mouse/cat thing. =)

64. Amy says:

I am allergic to cats, too, and so is my husband. He never knew it, though, until he grew up, because had always grown up with a cat, and I guess he got used to the allergens in the house.
    Before I was married, I lived with a roommate who convinced me that getting a kitten was worth a try. The strange thing was, this cat didn’t bother me at all. I think that the dander in the house built up slowly so that my body got used to it. I never had any reaction to this cat. So if you get a cat (which I don’t necessarily recommend!) you and your son might not have a problem because you’d get used to the cat slowly.
    Of course, if that doesn’t work, you’d have dander in your house and no way to get rid of it. Ugh!

65. Stacey says:

Don’t count on a cat to catch your mice. Our cat has been in the house for 9 years and the only mouse it ever caught it also released under the dining room table during Thanksgiving dinner. All 15 guests reacted differently to that one!! Our best ‘mouser’ cats over the years have been females who have not been spayed.
    Allergy shots are an amazing thing! Our son doesn’t have cat allergies, but after just a few months of shots grass pollen no longer makes his eyes swell shut!

66. Spider Lady says:

If you really want to go the cat route, there is a breed called Cornish Rex. They aren’t quite hairless but the hair they do have is very short and curly. They don’t shed at all!

67. Jeannette says:

I had a dachshund growing who was an excellent rodent catcher- I couldn’t tell you if they were rats or mice because I didn’t stick around long enough to look at his “treasures”.
    They are so much cuter than hairless cats!

68. Lauren says:

Okay, here we go.
    When my parents decided to get me a cat (as a reward for eye surgery), my dad, who, ironically grew up with cats, was allergic to them at the time. So he kept getting allergy shots, and now he’s home free, and we have TWO cats. Plus, one that hangs around our house that we baby.
    But let me tell you ONE THING.
    DO NOT I repeat, DO NOT GIVE THE CAT FISH.
    Scientists speculate that a cat’s dander aggravates a person’s cat allergy, so to decrease the blow, don’t let that little furball anywhere near a can of tuna (unless it’s constantly meowing at you).
    So, get allergy shots, don’t feed the little furry child tuna, and there’s a possibility that you can get over the allergy.
    Plus, get a short-haired kitty. IDK, but them might do less harm than a long-haired kitty.
    *grins*
    P.S.: And for pity’s sake, please adopt a furry child from the Humane Society if you’re going to get one. We adopted one and she’s much friendlier than the one we got at a breeder, appropriately named Princess.

69. Jen says:

Lots of small dogs will catch mice. My parents Jack Russell terrier will catch anything. I hate to see you get a pet that you won’t like. Then, you will be looking to get rid of the cat and there will be one more pet that needs a home.

70. Heather BT says:

There are some dogs bred to catch mice, some terriers, lot’s of energy needed to keep up with them, and my favorite, if I needed to buy one in this situation, the affenpinscher.
    Nice dog, better with kids and no allergy issues.
    Some cats will be mousers, Mum’s laziest cat, Chubbs, was the best at it because she could sit immobile so long the mice forgot about her. Her current cat, Drive Thru, is a spazz and useless for catching mice.
    Don’t like the decon, because then you still have mice dying in unknown places. Filling in the holes with a combo of foam insulation and steel wool is a good idea. You can also make a basic mouse trap in your garage with a stick, some bird seed and a metal bucket. You put a little seed in the bottom of the bucket, lean a stick on the bucket et voila! the mouse climbs up the stick, falls happily into the bucket and can’t get back out. Easy mouse disposal.
    Heather BT
    http;//adoptakid.blogspot.com

71. Sarah the secret blower says:

sorry, gotta give it up…my daughter and I are both allergic to cats as well
    I suppose you could adopt a local cat from your local humane shelter and put a gallon size ziplock baggie on the offensive creature with a hole cut at head and tail for obvious reasons…but I think it would limit said creature’s ability to catch mice…
    how about some good old fashioned mousetraps…
    they always worked great for us!!!!

72. Lori says:

David was allergic to cats, so I was worried the first time he visited my apartment at Scott’s graduation. Turns out, he was fine with my cat, but Craig on the other hand sneezed his head off. Craig now has his own cat that he does not have any allergies towards. Thus, my highly scientific conclusion is that tho you may be allergic to cats, it may not mean you are allergic to all cats. Maybe you could adopt one and do a ‘test’ to see how you respond. Good luck. I know I would do anything to get rid of the mice!
    There is always the option of an outdoor cat too… tho you may have to keep it indoors for a bit so i knows where it gets its food and knows where to call home.

73. Meredith@WrittenByHerself says:

I hate cats, too, so I would definitely think about getting a dog.
    Terriers were originally bred to catch mice, and for the most part, you can’t go wrong there. From experience, miniature pinschers and miniature schnauzers seem particularly good for this. (Also, schnauzers don’t shed, and they don’t have “yappy” barks!)

74. Sarah says:

Aaahh! That hairless cat is downright scary, although it did make me laugh too. We’ve tried the steel wool trick too. Hope you find a solution!

75. Jeni says:

If you’re in a fairly safe place, consider an indoor-outdoor cat. That way the time inside will be minimized to keep allergies at bay, but kitty can still come in to kill/catch/deter rodents.
    Just a thought.

76. Lucy says:

We had a terrible mouse problem when we first moved into our house. Firstly, we put rock around the sides of the house where there had been grass. Mice don’t like rock as much. We also used spray foam to seal every little crack we could find. We also got a dog. For some reason, the dog smell helped to keep the mice away (we don’t have the dog anymore). And we set lots of traps. Fortunately, they are mostly in our basement and only Hubs and child #1 have to deal with them.
    We do have a cat, but he was not allowed in the basement and the few times a mouse made it upstairs, he just played with it (his front paws are declawed, but I don’t think that would matter). My husband would have to catch it and kill it.
    Just sayin’, don’t get a cat just to be a mouser, since that’s not predictable. If you could get a farm cat and it could live outside, maybe that would work. But outside cats have their own problems. Good luck!

77. Penny Raine says:

oh that is a sad looking kitty, don’t know that I can be of any advice, after being kept up ALL night by a country sized rodent, chewing on who knows what, and we have several cats, all outside barn kitties, who love to come in when we let them, but last night when I went to the door and called kitty kitty, none were to be found.. UUGGHH, I need SLEEP
    blessings, Penny Raine

78. Audrey says:

We have experienced not even one trace of mice activity in our house ever since we got 2 OUTDOOR cats. The cats pretty much hang out on our back porch, where we feed them and have them a nice little “bed”, but they hunt and kill just about every kind of rodent you can possibly imagine. I know this because they often bring their “kill” and leave it for us to see by the back door. You wouldn’t believe the HUGE CRAWDAD’s that they have hunted and left on our porch. Regardless, I don’t have to mess with the cat hair, litter, etc., in the house and I also don’t have to deal with any mice! It works great since the cats take care of the them before the mice ever have a chance to think about moving in with us!!!!

79. Carrie says:

I’m with you…I do NOT like cats AND I am allergic to them. So here’s my advice…we had mice in our old house. We backed up to some woods and in the winter they invaded. Eewww…I can still hear the scratching in the wall! My husband somehow found out that peppermint oil keeps them out, so we tried it and we never had anymore problems. Just go to a health food store and buy some essential oil of peppermint and get some cotton balls. (It needs to be the real deal – 100% peppermint.) Put a few drops on each cotton ball and put them around where you think the mice are or could be coming in. You might have to refresh them occassionally if you continue to have any problems. The other thing you MUST do is have your hubby go to Home Depot and get some of that expanding foam spray stuff. Walk around the outside of the house and seal every opening where they could possibly be getting in. (dryer vent, line coming in from the air conditioner unit, any other pipes or drains coming through the wall.) We sealed up a few places and did the peppermint once and never had any problems again. MUCH better than having a cat for all of it’s 9 lives!! Good luck!

80. AF says:

Hey Shannon– My husband and I had took a cat in from a former roommate of his. I was not happy about the cat coming to live with us since I’m allergic and don’t like cats! She’s lived with us for six months now, and I have started waking up in the AM with itchy throat and sneezing. I think it has something to do with the cat’s fur being spread everywhere through the central A/C or heat. No matter how clean you try to keep the house, the fur will embed itself. I don’t like the fur on the furniture and such, but you can’t prevent it. My husband promises to brush her everday to keep the fur down, but that doesn’t happen! On the positive side, the cat is funny to watch and is very loving towards my husband. But she knows I’m competition!

81. Amy says:

When I first started dating my husband (16 years ago) the two cats at his house really bothered my allergies. When we got married, the cats came with him… and after a couple of months of living with them, my allergies were pretty much gone. I no longer had itchy eyes, sneezing, etc. So I guess that it’s true that you do build up a tolerance to them pretty quickly.
    Now, as for the attitudes, yes, they have them. BUT… the younger cat was just a kitten when we got married, and I trained her from the beginning that I was in charge, LOL! She doesn’t get up on counters or any of that other stuff you hear about cats doing.

82. Diana says:

I haven’t read all of the responses but I just wanted to let you know that we have had cats and mice…at the same time…so I don’t think getting a cat is the solution. Maybe all cats don’t chase mice…I don’t know. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

83. Amy says:

Just realized after I hit submit that my comment above implies that the cats we have are more than 16 years old. Don’t worry, you probably wouldn’t be “stuck” that long. πŸ™‚ The cats we have now are 11 and 12.

84. Shannon P says:

Try a Bengal cat. Our friends are allergic to cats, but got a Bengal and haven’t had any problems. They have shorter hair–and are actually beautiful to look at.

85. Jessica says:

I almost shrieked outloud when I scrolled down and saw that cat (if that’s what you can call it). YUCK!! Is there anyone that you know of that owns a cat that you can borrow? When we had our rodent problem, we seriously thought about it. The sticky mouse traps worked better than the original wooden ones didn’t work! The peanut butter would be gone, but there wasn’t a mouse in sight. We also plugged up every hole into our home with steel wool. It works really well. Good luck! It’s just so gross, isn’t it?!

86. Kristin says:

My parents have big problems with mice sneaking into their house, but not when they get a cat and put it outside. Get it a little house outside and give it food (to help it to stick around) and it will monitor the perimeter of your house. This really has helped–it attacks the mice when it sees them outside, so the mice don’t have a chance to come it.
    And then, put some mouse traps at the entrances to your house–just in case.

87. just another day in paradise says:

i’m out on a limb here, but what about a dog of some sort? Many terriers were bred for rat killing, so I would think that someone would still have the instint to search out a mouse. I would look into it if I were you.
    I am not allergic to cats, but I do have allergies. I’ve taken shots (which is huge, because I am deathly afraid of needles!) and they work. I still wouldn’t get a cat if I were you, however. The biggest pain of the whole thing is working with your clinic to schedule an appointment for a shot. . .
    Good luck!

88. amy says:

okay, I know it may not work, but it has to be better than a cat- what about one of those elctronic devices you plug in to the outlets that emit a frequency that drives the mice away but not humans, dogs, etc.
    Like I said, it may not work, but it has to be better than a cat. I don’t like cats and my husband is violently allergic to them.

89. Misty says:

Okay…so you’re NOT a cat fan, huh? :o) There are some very small dogs that are GREAT “mousers” if you aren’t allergic to (or at all prefer) dogs. Chihuahuas and Rat Terriers are some great choices. Just a thought…oh, and by the way, dogs that are “mousers” tend to hunt other things as well. Like bugs and birds. Just FYI. :o)

90. Alisha Brodrick says:

Have you though about a dog? I have a miniature schnauzer and they are known to be “mousers”. She is a year and a half old and she is wonderful. I haven’t had a problem with mice or any other rodents. I also am excited that she has taken care of my mole problem to. If you want to know anything more just email me or contact me at my blog!!!

91. Sarah says:

Please don’t get a cat if you don’t like them. I promise, it is not going to turn out well for you or the cat. I do a lot of animal rescue volunteer work and without going into full on lecture mode… just please don’t get a cat, ok?
    What are your feelings on dogs? Do you have allergy issues? Many breeds of small dogs were specifically bred for hunting rodents (think terriers) and might be a better fit for your family.

92. Miriam says:

I had regular cat/hayfever allergies until I was about 19 and then they decided to make things more interesting around here and move on to food allergies. Did you know that normal allergies can become weirdo allergies? They totally can, and the amount of exposure you give yourself effects that. So you’d likely be fine, but I personally wouldn’t bet on your son.
    Not to be an internet shrieking commenter, but I’d recommend looking into that food allergy connection before bringing home Sox. It’s super uncool.

93. Melissa says:

Dear Shannon
    Bless your heart. I have been where you are – on the precipice of desperation. My daughter is allergic to cats. We have done the shots. Even with the shots, she cannot be exposed to cats. While shots increase your tolerance to the allergen with a controlled exposure, having a cat would expose you in an uncontrolable manner which could and probanly would increase the severity of your reaction. There are several breeds of dogs which are excellent mouse hunters. At one time we had a Jack Russell terrier(think of the dog Wishbone)who did a marvelous job of keeping the mice at bay. Good luck-Melissa

94. Renee says:

I wish I had great words of wisdom to share on your mouse problem. But I’ve got nada!
    Just thanks again for the laugh. It was well needed this morning!! I was hoping you’d keep us in the loop on the ever expanding mouse saga.
    Don’t get a cat if you’re allergic. We have lots of cat allergies at our house, and when we visit my sister who loves cats and has a few, hubby and kids are itchy, red eyed, and feeling miserable forever after. And they all take various forms of allergy meds.
    We were just watching Lord of the Rings last night, I burst out laughing when I saw the horrid looking scary hairless Gollum cat. I was feeling kinda down this morning, (didn’t want to face the mountains of laundry) but your blog put a smile on my face and the to do list back into perspective. (after all what is a bit of laundry in comparision to the great mouse wars being fought at your house!!) This is the reason I keep coming back to your blog. THANKS for the attitude adjustment. I love Rocks in my dryer!
    Good Luck and you have my sympathy and best wishes for a mouseless future!
    (I’d go with a terrier, I have a yorkie–so darn cute and he is really territorial, I don’t think he would stand for a small usurper (spelling) to his domain for anything!) Good luck!

95. threeundertwo says:

I’m sure you’re not really considering getting an animal you wouldn’t love. That wouldn’t be kind to either of you. Not all cats are mousers either, so buying one as a way to control rodents isn’t a good strategy.
    That said, we have indoor British Shorthair cats and people who are violently allergic come visit us and never react at all. I suspect it’s either the breed or the fact that they are indoor only cats, and much cleaner than outdoor cats.

96. Superchikk says:

Get a dog. A terrier, one that is bred for hunting small rodents, and get it from a breeder who hunts with their dogs. Our Jack Russell was an EXCELLENT mouser – would give any cat a run for their money. And she was a dog, so she was sweet and loving, not pious and indignant like a cat!

97. teri from indiana says:

Lord love ya!! You have made me smile. First of all, hairless cats are freaky. Aguy at our church has one &
    i keep telling him that’s why women want nothing to do with him. IF you need a cat, keep it outside! We live in the country and have 4 cats……outside. My dd keeps sneaking them in but she’s always the first to throw them out when I scream, er, request that they not be in the house. Did I mention they live outside?
    You know Yankee Candles burning will kill that odor. My grandmother swore by moth balls use as a repellant of mice, daughter-in-laws and mouthy granddaughters. My uncle screamed that she was poisoning everyone. But ya know, she’s 103 and she doesn’t have a mouse in her house. The d-i-l’s and mouthy granddaughters are still around though.

98. Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates says:

I don’t think a cat will help you. Most don’t even catch mice. My sister has cats that do catch rats and mice – they bring them in her room in the middle of the night to play with them (still alive) or bring them right up to her as a “present” (still alive). Blech!
    Best to plug up holes and use traps, I think. Then, at least you don’t have to force yourself to like cats – LOL!

99. Andrea@Under Grace & Over Coffee says:

Is your house big? I rented a house in college with some other gals, one of whom had a cat. The house was a two story, and the cat was only allowed downstairs or in the owner’s room. She also took very good care of her pet, and I didn’t have a problem at all (I have asthma and get hives. So basically I get itchy and wheezy. Its quite attractive!)
    BUT, I had another roomie later on who had a cat that basically had the run of our teeny apartment (except my room) AND she didn’t take proper care of it. I was always sick.
    However, I have been told that you can become immune to your cat over time. It doesn’t really work with asthma, but possibly the other symptoms might eventually go away?

100. Roberta Anne says:

I use mouse poison, little green pellets. I tuck them in unseen spots all over my home. I have no problem with murdering those pesky varmints. Great post. I am a new reader and you are a great blogger.
    Roberta Anne

101. Kris @ Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers says:

Oh. My. Goodness! I don’t have any tips since we have cats and no allergies, but I just had to say: that hairless cat is the ugliest thing that I’ve ever seen in my life. Worse, even, than a Chinese Crested, whose only redeeming quality was that one of it’s breed was held by Matthew McConaughey in “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.”
    I’d take the mice over that cat any day! Good luck! πŸ˜‰

102. Shannon H says:

oh,my…I needed that laugh today more than you will ever know…thank you so much!
    And…on to the advice. NO cat! If you already don’t like cats…and they make you and your son sick…finding various dismembered rodents…and a very large vet bill b/c it has eaten a sick one… won’t make you love them any more. I’m afraid it will only add to your stress that is so obviously hanging on your very last nerve! The same might be true of a dog. I mean, by all means…get a dog…I firmly believe all households need one (or 2)…but not for pest control. In the long run, an exterminator will be cheaper πŸ™‚ I would also have hubs look around for possible points of entry. That way no more in the walls…so sorry about that by the way…
    Lastly, someday, over a cup of coffee (oops…you hate coffee…uhhh…a smoothie?), I would love to tell you the tale of the family of rats that were living in our garage. ahhhhh….good times! So, from 1 Shannon to another…ain’t life grand???

103. Wanda says:

Shannon
    ME TOO!! ME TOO!! ME TOO!!! All cat lovers look away!
    I hate how sick cats make me. I itch and claw myself to death. They are scary too. Have you ever been bitten by a cat? It’s horrible!
    They are mean!
    Now….I will say this====I DO own cats. They are outside and they are incredible mousers. I have not had a mouse in my house as long as I have lived in it (7 years). However, they bring them up daily to my back door and whine to show me their kill.
    I praise them and throw out some cat food for a reward! ( I kid, I feed them 2x’s daily) AND they keep all the mice away!

104. Erin says:

Wow! So hilarious, and the advice is almost as entertaining! We live in the country also, and my allergic, cat-averse husband won’t allow me to have even an outdoor cat to help solve our mouse problem…we have a great dog that hunts everything, but the mouse sounds don’t trigger anything for him, so unless he sees it scurrying, he doesn’t go after it! We tried mouse poison in the crawl space, which worked, but we stopped when the dog came back in with a mouse oozing green goo. The mice eat the poison and then run outside to look for water. That’s where my dog finds them, and if he actually ate one, it would be one expensive vet bill to get him detoxed before the poison killed him–not fun! Just thought I’d throw my 2 cents in there! Good luck! Oh, and the smell does seem to go away after a week or two. You can also read about when I had a squirrel in our house here: http://littlefamilybigwoods.blogspot.com/search/label/Keeping%20it%20rural

105. Mrs. Q says:

Are you allergic to dogs too? If you aren’t you could get a Jack Russell Terrier. They were originally bred to hunt down rats. I’m sure they could adapt to hunting down mice πŸ™‚ And they are a lot cuter than a hairless feline!

106. Laura says:

Your comment about not being able to sleep with the hairless cat in the house made me laugh out loud. πŸ™‚ They are kind of ugly like a large, hairless rat, huh?

107. Tamara says:

Shannon,
    I adore cats. Love them. But seriously? I would not get a cat just to control a rodent problem. We had a cat in our antique store that literally ignored mice. He’d chase paper and bat pens about, but he just yawned when he saw mice. A cat is no guarantee against rodents! I have heard that they’re better hunters if they’ve not been spayed/neutered…but then Since you’re not a cat lover, your money is probably better spent on a reputable pest control service instead of a cat and subsequent allergy shots. Good luck!

108. k&c's mom says:

I want nothing to do with cats or cat advice, but I must tell you I snorted my ice tea when I scrolled down and saw the picture of that cat you posted. I think just the SIGHT of it would make rodents in all surrounding counties pack up their little bags and vamoose. ‘Course it may cost you all your friends and family, too.

109. Libby Brill says:

I feel your pain. A few years ago we had a mouse problem. What worked for us was to call an exterminator. He went around the foundation of our house and sealed up ALL of the little holes where those critters could be getting in. Did you know that mice can get through a hole as small as the tip of a pencil?!?
    The exterminator put a steel wool kind of substance (but it was made out of copper) in all the places where they might be getting in and also told us some precautions we should take ourselves (dryer vent, etc). It worked like a charm!
    Good luck!

110. Erin says:

If you have to get a cat, you should try to get a short haired one rather than a long haired one – for common sense reasons. If you get one young enough, you can get them used to having a bath — bathing them a few times a month cuts down on the dander that you are probably allergic to. The only thing is that all cats are not mousers – we have two cats. We have never had a mouse issue but one of our cats LOVES playing with toys, so I can guess she would probably be good at catching mice. The other one is super laid back and lazy and could care less about toys, so he would probably let the mice run right in front of him and just lay there. LOL! Good luck in whatever you do – I would be going a bit nutty trying to get rid of mice too. πŸ™‚

111. Jane says:

Have you seen this hairless Cat that blogs?
    Your kids may enjoy his pictures.
    Also, I got shots for many years after we discovered (upon getting a cat) that I was allergic. She was a faithful pet for 20 years (some of which I was away at college etc… I only got shots for about 5 years and took a Claritin like product after that.) It was well worth it for me and my family then. Still, I would periodically borrow a cat for home inspection rather than get a cat now a days. Surely you have a friend who’s cat could come over for an overnight bi monthly?

112. Dianne says:

How about calling the exterminator – like the one from “Mouse Hunt?” ha! ha!
    My sister learned that if you regularly clean your curtains and drapes (in addition to vacuuming and sweeping), it helps with the dander – which is what activates allergies anyway.
    Have an allergy-less member of your family brush the cat often.
    Or go back to Christopher Walken’s quirky exterminator guy.

113. ewokgirl says:

I think you may be kidding about a cat, but I’m not sure, so I have to say this: May I respectfully suggest that you NOT get a cat, even if you can find a way to control the allergic reaction to cats? It’s just not safe for a cat to be let loose with random mice who could be carrying disease. (Not to freak you out further.) If the mouse is ill, it’ll make the cat ill. If you want a cat, get it because your family wants to love it, not because you need it to catch mice for you. And lest you think I’m picking on you because there’s a certain degree of anonymity in cyberspace (even if you can link back to my blog), please know that this is the exact same advice I’d give to a family member or friend.

114. lomagirl says:

I like cats, but I hate allergies- I don’t think it’s worth it. There are several types of dogs that will chase rats and probably mice, and just having an animal like that in the house might keep them away.
    There are also mice traps (though I just saw the Tale of Desperaux so don’t let your kids see it if you are doing traps.) Some are more humane (mousane) than others.

115. Amy in West TX says:

I would highly recommend the Burmese breed. They are less allergenic that most cats. They are not cheap though. There is a wonderful breeder in Oklahoma, luthipets.com I recently added to our burmese collection with a kitten from them. I am sure Wathina could give you information on her different breeds and if one might work for you.

116. Claire Smith says:

Great, I’m the 136th commenter… unlikely to even get read by anyone other than myself and possibly Shannon πŸ˜›
    Cat allergy is actually allergy to the saliva, not the fur, so the furless creatures (ugly as they are) are no less allergical. Yes I just made up a word.
    I have a mild cat allergy but find that the more time I spend with cats the better I cope with it. So maybe if you got a kitten then as it got bigger and was more allergical to your poor cat-hating bodies then you guys would cope with it better and better as time goes by.
    I also recommend Flixonase (if you can get that wherever you live) which is a nose-spray thing which stops the sneezing in combination with the Claratyne or whatever tablets. Eat them like they’re M and M’s.
    P.s. I’m a cat nut but totally understand how you might not be. They are sometimes quite bastardly. But you will fall in love with your own one. It’s like thinking your own kid is really going to be Miss America when everyone else knows that she looks like a fat version of Miss Piggy.
    Anyhow, this has rambled on long enough.
    Good luck with the mouse issue!

117. aquamarine says:

That poor looking cat! I want to get it a crochet sweater! As for your rats, so sorry to hear about such a stink. No Rats hints here, but if you ever get in trouble with a cockroach I am your women!

118. Wendy says:

I’ve heard Blue Russians are good for people with allergies.
    What most people don’t like to hear is that if you’re going to have a cat for mouse-catching, you can’t feed said cat. If you feed the cat regularly, it will stare lazily at the mouse running by and burp.
    And mousers are more effective if they live outside, which will shorten their lifespan.

119. Michelle says:

Hi! I was allergic to cats too….eyes puffy, cant breathe….doctor told me its the outdoor cats that pick up things that we are allergic to–mold, grass, pollen, etc….plus its the chemical on the cats tongue. I found that I kept my cat indoors only! wash hands after petting and I did fine! I had a cat for 15 years before I had to put him down. Good luck…Hope this helps!

120. linda says:

I may be the enemy here but this is what I do. Twice a year, spring and fall, I put out fresh rat/mouse poison in several locations. I don’t like mice, don’t want them to come for a visit. This is my successful solution.

121. Trixie says:

Hello!
    Too bad we don’t live closer, our little beagle found a dead mouse in the wall 2 years ago. We kept smelling this horrible stench but couldn’t quite place it. We coaxed Barney to do a little sniffing and soon he was clawing and biting at the wall where the mouse was.
    My husband cut a hole in the wall and sure enough — dead mouse.
    Maybe I’ll have to start renting our little guy out:)
    Take Care,
    Trixie

122. angie a says:

Oh Shannon, where to begin. I am a cat person. I love them. But let me assure you, not all cats are mousers. I’ve really only had one cat out of about 30 that I would consider a good mouse catcher. And have you ever seen a cat catch a mouse. It is not an immediate hunt-and-kill game. They cat basically tortures the mouse to death. They throw them around just to chase them again. And occasionally the mouse wins the game. If I were you, with allergies and the aversion to cats, I would just not get one. Love your blog!

123. Queen B says:

We shave our cat that sheds. It looks pathetic, but works.
    Our cat that doesn’t shed is a Selkirk Rex. They normally look permed (yes. it is scary. i would not have a permed cat) but he is a reject with straight hair. His hair is a weird texture. Kind of coarse, but still soft.
    That hairless thing is awful.

124. Pam says:

I out grew my cat allergy when I got to be about 24 years old….we have a cat that thinks she is a dog…comes when called….eats pizza and ice cream with my husband…can’t wait for us to sit down so she can be on our laps…AND we can leave her at home for 3 or 4 days when we go on vacation with a bowl of food and water…she is the perfect pet.

125. Chen says:

I’ve visited this post three times today, and every time I nearly died laughing! That poor animal does look like Gollum, maybe with more wrinkles. Ugh. I’d rather spend $4,000 on a hypoallergenic cat than a bald wrinkled one. And I can’t even imagine what my dogs would do if they met one of those…creatures.
    I recommend saving yourself the sniffles and not getting a cat. Especially since not all of them catch mice. We had a *ahem* plump cat for several years, and he only caught the birds that chirped outside my window.

126. Peggy says:

Last week my mom, who lives down stairs, called for help(meaning my husband and son)to catch the mouse that was running around her living room. All the while her pretty kitty lay on the couch watching mousie run. Two nights ago, while I was visiting with mom, pretty kitty came in through the kitty door, with a dead bird in her mouth. Often, she brings mom “presents”, some living, some not. Birds, mice, voles, squirrels even a small snake. DON’T get a cat just for pest control!

127. Maggie says:

I’m sorry, you already seem to have so many comments but I really should reply because I think this will be helpful.
    I had a serious cat allergy, like struggling with the flu. I will try to keep this brief:
    Short haired cats were SO much worse for me, I believe this is due to the fact that their hairs are finer and can, ahem, get up your nose a bit more.
    Long story short, but we ended up getting a Persian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_(cat) and I have ended up becoming non-allergic through daily exposure. I am absolutely fine touching my cat and then rubbing my eyes, which I absolutely could not do with short haired versions.
    Ok, so persians can appear ugly to those who are used to other cats, but trust me when I say I find mine (as does every other visitor in my house) more like a small dog. Very friendly, greets me at the door and rolls over for a belly rub *smile*
    ———-
    There’s my essay on getting a cat, your allergy will lessen, honest. However – there is NO guarantee that the cat will want to attack mice. Perhaps a better idea is to borrow a good cat hunting fiend from a friend for a few days during the season when mice come indoors.
    I’ve had mice before my cat, I truly understand your distress. Block up any holes to the outside and move all your food to the top cupboards. Make sure you give everywhere a good spring clean before the season to get rid of the crumbs that fall behind the fridge etc.

128. Kim says:

Well Shannon, I doubt that you’ll find this a viable alternative either but I thought you’d want to know about it. Just in case.
    My BIL was very allergic to cats until he ate some weird poisonous fish in Mexico and almost died. Now he’s not at all allergic to cats.
    Neither does he eat fish any more.

129. Beulah says:

I agree, if you decide you just have to have a cat, keep it outdoors.
    An exterminator seems like your best bet. Be sure to find one that will do a survey of your house to prevent the problem from happening again. A mouse can compress its body to fit through an opening as small as a dime. That’s all it needs to come inside.
    Gollum kitty. lol. Is it wrong that I feel bad for the no-hair kitty? It just seems so violated.

130. Lisa says:

Oh that hairless cat is horrible!
    I live in the country and we have mice occasionally. They terrify me…I’m talking, “What’s wrong with Mommy? Why is she standing in the corner crying?” kind of scared. It’s completely unreasonable.
    So we got cats…FOUR of them. Here’s the bad news…they don’t catch anything. Never have they distracted one mouse from coming into my house.
    Call the exterminator. πŸ™‚ Lisa~

131. Raise Them Up says:

Oh, Sharon, I’m still laughing! Three of my other four family members are now asking me to hurry up and show them what’s so funny over here that I have tears running down my face.
    I’m with Vicky on three things:
    First, the tears thing.
    Second the Gollum thing. You have so nailed this cat with the name of Gollum! And naming a cat gollum is something I wish I had thought of when we adopted the ugliest cat on the planet.
    And third, I was thinking of an outside cat, too. We have three outdoor cats (because we were nice to ONE once), and we haven’t have mice since we adopted the cats.
    I’m so sorry for your allergy, though.

132. Natalie says:

Yeah, those SHOTS that you refer to… I get them.. once a week and one in each arm. I have been getting those shots for 2 1/2 years with at least 2 1/2 years more to go! minimum, maybe even 7 1/2 years more. I do have more allergies than just cats (like everything that sprouts, thinks about sprouting or just happens to be greenish in color and all animals but dogs). Any who, I don’t recommend them – my arms will never be the same. EVER.
    Good luck with your mouse problem, makes me shiver just thinking about it πŸ™‚ Can’t someone spray for mice?

133. Emily says:

OH, HO, HO, HA, HA, HO! You have me in stitches, Shannon! As a fellow cat-allergy sufferer (and I even like the little things!), I can definitively say that the hairless Gollum-looking cats DO trigger allergies. In fact, my sister-in-law’s hairless cat triggered one of the worst reactions I’ve ever had. From experience, I do believe that kittens and very young cats don’t trigger an allergic response as badly as full-grown cats; you could always ‘borrow’ a young one and then give it away after a few months once your rodent problem is under control. OR (I hate to mention this option), you could consider other options– we had mice in our garage, and they disappeared after we left for vacation and came back to find snake poop in our garage. You COULD get yourself a snake. πŸ™‚

134. Raise Them Up says:

Three of the four other people in this house are asking me to hurry up and show them what is so funny.
    So, quickly, I agree with Vicky on three points.
    1. The tears. I haven’t laughed this hard for a while.
    2. The name Gollum. You SO nailed this cat with the name. And I’m with her. If you get a cat, Gollum would be the perfect name. In fact, I’m really bummed I didn’t think of Gollum when we decided to keep the ugliest cat on the planet three years ago.
    I am sorry about your allergies, and your smelly wall. πŸ™‚ I’ve been there. Please do keep us informed. The laughs are good for our health!

135. Missy says:

Well, I have one snooty cat, and two loveable ones, but they do have those “bow-before-me-human” moments too. They’re all good mousers, but they’re all indoor-outdoor.
    My boyfriend’s Mother (and Step-father I believe) are allergic to cats, His mother takes allergy shots every so often to combat her allergies, and she has had 3 cats in the house with very few issues (two domestic shorthairs, one of which is the spawn of a stray that popped up on my property pregnant) and one main coon mix, I would warn you that a Maine coon cat is not going to be terribly hypoallergenic in my experience, simply for the fact that Dander will be more likely to collect in their long fur, they also require some grooming (aka contact from the momma)
    We also have a Jack Russell Terrier and a Rat Terrier (both small fuzzy animal hunters) who do work very effectively at teaming up and cornering small creatures like mice, but I will mention that the prey drive can make them yappy little monsters at times. Also, the prey drive will make them go after rabbits and other cuddly things that you may like to look at while they’re still… in one piece.
    As to the electronic sound mouse traps I know the ones for Roaches work fairly well (they spin around in circles the noise bothers them so much) but I’ve never tried the mouse ones, but if theyre anything like the roach ones, go ahead and try it.

136. Stacey says:

I am trying really hard not..to laugh out loud– the kids are sleeping–
    Don’t get a cat, just call Mice-busters!
    LOL
    I used to like cats, but now that I have seen that hairless “thing” UGH, yuck!
    My cousin just had the same problem, she named the mice Fred, and then left traps and went to her parents’ house!

137. Dave Roller says:

This is why I always say I only want a cat if the recipe book comes with it. That one goes over really well at peta meetings! My daughter really wants a cat for her 10th birthday. My wife and I don’t want one. My wife doesn’t want a pet at all. None of us are violently allergic to cats. Maybe since scientists can clone a cat that people aren’t allergic to, they have a way of keeping my daughter perpetually 9.

138. Melissa says:

I have cat allergies, and did allergy shots for 3 + years (weekly or biweekly, y’all), and still I can walk into a home an instantly know if they own cats. My eyes swell up and I start wheezing, I don’t care if you vaccuum minutes before I get there. I’m thinking severe cat allergies, avoidance is the best policy. Plus, you’d probably pay less for an exterminator than allergy immunotheraphy for you and your son! πŸ˜‰

139. Karen {simply a musing blog} says:

{shakes head} I feel for ya. My son has allergies as well – he takes zyrtec and we vacuum every day – and we have to keep his bedroom door closed during the day. (my eldest daughter also brushes our cat two or three times a week – outside)

140. Jane Anne says:

My 2nd son and I are both allergic to cats. I could relate to your #1 and #2… too much! The only reason that I have heard of a hairless cat is because of the hairless cat that was on Friends. I guess you missed those episodes? They were pretty hilarious. But, then again, I am not a cat lover.

141. Lori says:

Holy comments, Batman! You’ve stuck a nerve! I tried allergy shots for 3 years and they didn’t help my cat allergies and asthma one bit. When my dr and I decided to stop he said, “well, you know they don’t work for everyone.” WHAT?!?!? I don’t believe I was notified that that was an option! Good luck – I posted last week about our recent mouse experience, and trust me – you win!

142. Heather says:

Cats are just tiny women in cheap fur coats. Dogs have masters, cats have “the help”.
    Just some bumper sticker wisdom to help you out… I have had two cats for many years and mice are rarely a problem, even having lived in NY where the rodents tend to be larger than most cats. (google “super rat” if you want an image to replace the freaky hairless cat) I really love them (not the super rats) but I must warn you… cats bring with them some issues that you need to consider. It’s like having a furry teenager that coughs up hairballs. And the cat box could make you miss dead mice in your wall. Best case, if they happen to be a “good mouser”, and especially if they love you, they will present you with regular gifts… a certian organ that they consider to be unsuitable for their delicate palets. And by “present”, I mean that they will leave it in front of the refrigerator, on your bed, anywhere to “surprise” you. Cause it’s a gift, you know.
    I stumbled across this the other night: http://www.homelessmouse.com/
    might be worth a try
    the steel wool is good too

143. The Random Muse says:

Have you considered getting an outdoor cat. It won’t help once the mice are in the house, but could be a very strong deterrent. If you do that, got the pound, find the scruffiest momma cat you can and select a kitten. Ideally you want the kitten who is neither climbing the bars nor hiding in the back, but the one who just sits in the cage and watches what goes on; it’s less likely to grow into a psychotic cat. If you feed it and pet it, it should learn to stay near your house and when the mice come, the mother’s heritage will come shining through and they will die.

144. Raise Them Up says:

So, quickly, I agree with Vicky on three points.
    1. The tears. I haven’t laughed this hard in quite a while.
    3. I was thinking outside cat, too. We have had three outdoor cats (the direct result of being nice to ONE cat) and have not had a mouse problem since they’ve been on the job. So, an outside cat, AND a pest service would be extra good, no?

145. Becky says:

Hey, I coulldn’t comment on Parenting so I thought I would comment on your Candy Land post here. I will just paste it in.
    I did a post on my blog a few months ago about needing out that involved me admiring a nail polish color I’d seen on Sesame street so I am glad that I’m not the only one! It is scary that kids are capable of such smack talk πŸ™‚ Thankfully my twins are still only 21 months and don’t have the “talking thing” down much less the “smack talk”. Ahhh….breathing a deep sigh of relief πŸ™‚

146. Raise Them Up says:

Ugh, Shannon, I’ve done it again! Please forgive me for leaving multiple comments. I keep thinking the computer eats my comment and trying it again–even leaving lots of time for it to be posted. I’m totally gonna figure this out if it kills me! Today, I just realized I didn’t check more comments. Maybe I’m turning a new leaf!
    I’m glad you have a sense of humor…

147. rhonda says:

I would also recommend against the cat as mouse control. Only cats that I know that mouse are “barn cats” who are very unsocialable….think about it, if they get food from you, what motivates them to catch mice??
    that being said, we have a great cat- she will even sit on command (as long as you have a treat)…and will come when we whistle. Not all cats are haughty- it just depends..

148. Michelle says:

I also have severe cat allergies, but have found that over time, they lessen significantly if you have a cat in the house. My best advice for reducing the allergens, is to bathe the cat regularly. Our cat gets a bath once a month, and it helps tremendously with the amount of dander and allergens when you pet him. Keep the doors closed to the bedrooms that you don’t want the cat in, and having an air purifier in your room will help as well. The longer you’re exposed to one particular cat, the less likely it will trigger your allergies. Just make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after petting the cat, or you’ll end up touching your face and trigger your allergies big time.

149. angela says:

Are you both allergic to long hair and short hair?
    I have found that I had allergies to the long hair – but I became immune after a while.
    I currently have a short hair and have no problems with her.
    I have a Tri-Star Vacuum that helped me suck up the 2 mice I found in my house. LOL
    I do take a wet sponge and stick it into every crevis there was a possible opening. That and the spray expanding foam.

150. Linda says:

Hi! Having lived for 5 years in a 90 year old house with 3 cats, I’ve learned from experience, cats don’t always successfully deal with mouse problems. If they do catch something, they don’t usually kill it. Cats enjoy playing with their food. Immensely. My advice? Don’t get a cat because you think it might resolve a mouse problem, they might just create a whole new set of problems!

151. Shannon says:

It sounds like many others have covered this, but I’ll share my cat and allergy knowledge with you just in case it helps.
    -My husband is allergic only to some cats. The only give we’ve noticed it that it seems to be more with orange tabby cats. He was fine with our short haired black cat and our medium haired siamese looking cat.
    -My mother is very allergic. She came to stay with us for 4 days at Christmas. Her allergies were in check the first three due to: me cleaning like a madwoman before she came attempting to get all cat dander out, her taking allergy meds religiously (Claritin and the like), her using some sort of balm on the inside of her nose that somehow blocks the dander, the guest bedroom where she slept at night is cat free. And despite all this she STILL started getting allergy symptoms the 4th day. My honest opinion is that it’s not worth doing that to you or your son especially in light of the fact that you are not a cat person. (Mom also tried allergy shots a number of years ago…never did much.)
    And that brings me to my second point, you could do all this and the cat still may not catch the mice.
    And just because I am one of those cat people (who recently lost a beloved cat) I will say that my girl cat is very much a “cat” cat, and I’ll admit she can have the aloof thing going on. But our boy cat had more of the personality of a dog. He wanted love, affection, came when you called him. We had the best of both worlds.
    But yeah, I’d pass on the cat for your family. The sad reality is that cat allergies may make you and your son pretty miserable.

152. Monique in TX says:

Can’t help with the cat problem, but does it make you feel better by comparison if I tell you that in my previous house, the problem wasn’t mice, it was opossums? Think of how much larger an opossum is than a mouse… Then imagine the stink a dead one in your wall makes. Yum! Enjoy your breakfast!

153. mmclassics says:

I can’t afford the doctor/allergist visits or ear tubes involved in a cat addition to our house. It is just not an option although my husband and son1 LOVE cats.
    Story. In the previous house we had a “dead” smell that would be quite intense, and then disappear – repeatedly. Our dead and decayed mouse was found in the back of the refrigerator, and the “aroma” would be broadcast any time the refrigerator powered on! We put a little screen on the back of the fridge to keep out any future intruders. We had a couple of mouse episodes at the old house, but eventually filled in all the cracks and signed up a bug man. (One happened with a house guest, but after summering in Mongolia a few times, she wasn’t phased.) We were fine after that.
    They don’t seem to want inside a house as much when it is not winter. Part of our problem at the previous house was also a depression era hoarder – who couldn’t help herself. We have seen mice OUTSIDE this house, and I have declined to feed the birds this last year because it was too much of a mouse magnet. We miss it, but we do our part by keeping their water source available with the goldfish pond.
    Good luck.

154. megan says:

An older gentleman where I work says that he uses horse chestnuts (those big bright green spikey apple looking things) around his house and garage to keep the mice away. He said as they decay they emit a scent that the mice cannot stand. People don’t seem to smell it though. He does this every year and he says that his place is mice free.
    Maybe an alternative to getting a cat?

155. Jana says:

Okay, I knew that kind of cat reminded me of some(body?). We did get a cat (free!) for the simple fact that we live next to native grasses and woodland, and we have mice in the garage and *warning* in our van! I saw a mouse in our van one day, quickly shut the door and grabbed the cat. I tossed him inside the van and within minutes, the mouse was nought. I shudder thinking of it, and I also shudder when I walk in pet stores and see mice for sale. Why, in the name of all that is holy and good, would ANYONE buy a mouse? And if it’s to feed it to something that eats mice, why would you have that kind of pet? Give me a dog anyday. Oh, and our dogs do catch mice and moles (just not in the garage!).

156. Sally T. says:

Please, Mrs. Rocks, if you don’t like cats, don’t get one. They’ll never work like you want them to (after all, they’re cats), or worse yet, they’ll bring every dead mouse to you for affirmation that they are mighty hunters. The allergies & the dislike are God’s way of telling you that cats are not your answer!

157. Jane says:

Hello, my mother has very very bad cat allergies but has found that by buying a cat as a kitten somehow the body can build up an immunity to the kitten and it stays as the cat becomes fully grown. I don’t know how, I guess maybe little cats are weak and so have weaker allergens?
    It may not work for everyone but it definately worked in our house.
    Good luck.

158. Carol ~ I Throw Like A Girl says:

Please don’t get a cat especially if you and your son are allergic.You may have to get rid of it because of the allergies and then you will have 2-3 heartbroken kids. Plus, instead of mice, you will be dealing with a litter box (gross, even if you’re ocd about cleaning it), and furball vomit. I like cats,and was heartbroken when ours died, but I really would not want another one.
    Just my 2 cents.

159. Patellen says:

I just had to delurk to comment on this post! I am not a cat person either. I laughed so hard when I saw the hairless cat — our neighbors wanted cats but are allergic to everything, so they got 2 hairless cats. Oh. My. God. They stand at their glass side door, which faces our driveway where I always am with the kids, and stand up, with their paws on the glass, all stretched out and, well, grotesque. My kids just stare, it’s like a freak show. I’d keep the mice…

160. Sam says:

My husband’s parents have a hairless cat because they hate the hair. They have a st. petersburg hairless something or other. The cat isn’t as ugly as that, but it looks similar, but it is the most annoying cat ever. If dogs are any better on your list, there are some who chase and kill mice.

161. Donna says:

Shannon, get a Yorkie! They were bred to be mouse chasers! ,,,I feel for you…I hate those ‘creatures from outer space’ as I’ve come to un-affectionately call them.

162. Michelle says:

Excellent post!
    I have two thoughts:
    1. We have a Maine Coon – great at catching mice.
    2. Even so, the disgusting remains left are no fun, so we called an exterminator. $250 and the deal was done and guaranteed for one year. That would be cheaper than said cat, cat food, and cat vet visits for one year.

163. Amanda says:

My husband is an exterminator. We’ve dealt with rats in the basement/crawlspace. When they die it stinks for about 3 days max. Then it goes away and doesn’t come back (even when it gets warm). You could just get an exterminator for a couple months and then cancel the service if it goes away. I think my husbands company also sells “odd jobs” where they just come once and you can get a second service if you need it.
    Don’t get the cat. My son is a cat person. I despise them. He really, really loves the cats though so we have them. In 8 years and 5 cats, I’ve never had one catch anything. My dog used to catch snakes and moles for us.

164. Cathy says:

You are hilarious! No advice here, since being a cat hater myself could not bring myself to encourage someone to get one;) And further more, anyone who quotes Cousin Eddy from Christmas Vacation is one COOL bloggerer!(is that even a word?)
    I wish you well in your quest…

165. Carliee says:

Growing up we had mice and bats in our house. I hate them both, but would rather have mice than bats.
    A few years ago, I discovered my roommate had set a mousetrap in an interesting place in our apartment…a kitchen drawer that held pans. Being quite germaphobic, I took to washing things before using them.
    On a more pleasant note…I have a rather large stuffed mouse and he is rather quite pleasant. His name is “Couch Hog” because when he first came to live with me, he spent a great deal of time on the couch, which didn’t leave much space for people.

166. Sandy S. says:

Girl, you always crack me up. I just had to tell you that my best high school girlfriend who, incidentally, is a vet LOVES hairless cats. She had one when we were in high school and, get this, that ugly thing GREW HAIR. It truly looked like a elderly balding man. The other bad thing about those cats is that, since they don’t have hair, their skin gets so dirty and if they sit in you while dirty, they get it all over you….just in case you needed another reason not to look any further into a hairless cat…oh and my girlfriend named her cat ROGAINE:)

167. Amber @ Classic Housewife says:

I’m laughing so hard I’m in tears.
    I’m sorry.
    Really.
    I’m not laughing at your pain, but once you got to the “googling hairless cats” part – I was a gonner.
    *ahem*
    Seriously,I understand your Poe-ish mortification that there is something dead in the wall. I had a similar experience when I moved a bookcase to find part of a colony of termites. Even after they were gone, but the damage was still there, I couldn’t stand to look at it without shuddering. I’d walk ten feet around that spot. Finally, in desperation I bought a jar of spackle and UNPROFESSIONALLY gooped it all over the holes and tunnels in my wall so that I couldn’t SEE it anymore. We were going to have to replace that wall anyway. And the 5$ was totally worth it.
    Too bad you can’t just 5$ spackle your way out of this one. Sorry, Shannon. 😦

168. pinkcamojeep says:

Shannon,
    I’m not going to read all one thousand comments to see if this has been said before:
    Having a cat to keep down rodents is overrated. We’ve lived in the country (beside fields rotated with corn, peanuts and cotton) and we’ve lived in the city. We’ve had more mice in the old (1920) home than the newer ones, but they’re everywhere and my experience is that a cat doesn’t make enough difference to make it worth the trouble that it would put you through with the allergy. I say, look into an exterminator. It’d be cheaper and more convenient in the long run.

169. Jaena Womack says:

We had mice and went with Orkin. The bonus is they will also rid your house of ants (no more Terro needed) AND spiders – what a deal! We live on a very tight budget, but I have to say it is worth the money knowing we are pest-free.

170. midlife mommy says:

I am horribly allergic to cats, and I’ve always had a few of them. I tried shots and they didn’t work. What does work for me is Rhinocort (prescription). One spray in each side of my nose in the morning and it’s like I don’t have allergies. It’s not perfect, because cleaning out a very dusty closet at my father’s house nearly did me in recently, but it definitely controls the cat allergy problem.
    Fortunately, I do have one cat who knows what to do when a mouse is around. Oddly, not all of them can figure it out (or maybe they just don’t care?).

171. rachel says:

Have to comment on this one! I’m seriously afraid of rodents. After seeing 2 in our house, staying at my parents’ until my husband caught them, and being put on anti-anxiety meds to deal with them…we got a cat. I have always hated cats and am allergic to them, but ended up falling in love with Banjo. While we had the cat, we never saw a mouse. He ran away and we had two more mice this winter. The Orkin man came and said we didn’t have a problem, just a few mice that took a wrong turn and got in through the crack in our front door. He recommended stuffing steel wool into any cracks in the house (it messes up a mouse’s teeth when it tries to chew it), not leaving dishes in the sink, and keep all food put up. He said to put out a few sticky traps and some d-con. He said there is nothing that kills the mice and makes them not smell…that’s just a selling trick. Any hole bigger than the end of a pencil…stuff it with steel wool and he said to pay attention around the dish washer because a lot of times, that’s how they enter the house! Hope that helps and your problem is taken care of!

172. Tree says:

Have to say… best reason to get a cat is because you want a cat as a pet. Some are good hunters and no, that doesn’t indicate aggression at all, and some aren’t. Obviously, most of your readers are dog people, and if you’re one as well, by all means go dog. All terriers were bred to kill small animals and many do. Still, seems like what you really want is some traps and an exterminator.
    Hairless cats are warm and unbelievably soft. They feel like baby bottoms and are sweet and cuddly. That said, they can leave grease spots on upholstery, need frequent baths, they can’t go out in the sun, and there’s no guarantee that you won’t be allergic to them. What most people react to is not the fur itself, it’s a reaction to an enzyme in cat saliva that is deposited on the fur during cleaning. Hairless cats have the same enzymes. The hypoallergenic cats were bred from a select (and hard to find) population that don’t– hence the mega price tag.
    The worst thing you can do is take steps that lead to another unwanted cat being deposited in a shelter.

173. Lorie says:

I’m allergic to cats. And we have TWO. Quite frankly, I’m ready for them to go AWAY! I’m tired of not being able to breath through my nose. And there isn’t much I can take since I’m breastfeeding. So, I wouldn’t do it. I THINK I’d rather put up with the unpleasantness of the occasional mouse. But I wonder if an outdoor cat would help?