Some Things I Love About My Dad

I love that when I drive with him in the car, he gets jumpy, nervously grunting and grasping the door handle exactly the same way he did when he taught me to drive 22 years go.  He honestly believes I still can't make a left turn without him.

I love that when I was 14, he took me to our small-town police station, escorted me into an (empty) jail cell, sat down with me, looked me in the eye, and said "don't ever come here again."  And I never did.

I love that he has modeled for me, by a fine and faithful example, the best way to love my children.  And also the best way to embarrass them.

I love that even though he is modest and squeamish, he came into the delivery room when my third son was born, quietly finding a spot for himself in a corner that was as far as humanly possible from the Business End Of Things.  Meeting Joseph was the sweetest moment of that day, but the look of awe on my dad's face was a close second.

I love that he has never, ever, ever, for as long as he has lived, counted a chicken before it was hatched.

I love (or, more accurately, amusedly tolerate) the fact that he uses my sons as his own personal recycling bins, giving them old golf balls and mysterious keys and ugly hats "because I thought they might like this."  And my boys, of course, think that if it came from Pop, it must surely be great treasure.

I love that he sends me an e-mail and then calls me five minutes later to say "did you get my e-mail?"

I love that he enjoys my kids, and he affirms them, but he doesn't let them get away with acting like hooligans.

I love that when Hubs asked him for my hand in marriage, he didn't go easy on him, saying, "For 21 years we've been praying for the man who would marry our daughter.  Tell me, do you think you're the man worthy of all that prayer?"

I love that my Joseph seems to be a genetic copy of him, in every way.

I love that he has always–quietly but surely–made me feel safe.

I love you, Dad.  Happy birthday.

74 thoughts on “Some Things I Love About My Dad

1. wanda says:

Gosh! I love him too, now! He sounds like a great dad! God bless him on his special day. You’re a lucky daughter!
    I love the jail visit! Very good, Dad!

2. MM says:

This is precious, precious, precious! Hang on to that Daddy Shannon. Some of us don’t have them, even though they’re alive. Are you looking for a little sister to be adopted? I don’t take up much space. I don’t eat a lot. Although I do have a pet Monkey that makes a lot of noise, but he’s charming and delightful, so usually he makes up for it. 🙂

3. Cydney says:

This was a very sweet read today. I also read the Candy Land blog and I feel your pain. My 3 year old son received the game for Christmas and we have played it alot. Ours is the Dora the Explorer version. It tickles me because regardless where my son is on the board he loves to get the candy cards even if they take him back to the beginning he loves them.

4. Linda Sue says:

Beautiful tribute – I’m crying because it is so sweet and also because I so desperately miss my Dad sometimes – this is a time. Happy Birthday Shannon’s Dad – you are a blessing through generationsl

5. Upstatemomof3 says:

That is so beautiful. Happy Birthday to your dad. Dads are so important and I think they sometimes get the short end of the stick. We all seem to remember mom but dad gets left behind. So, taking the time to remember how much dad is loved is so great.

6. Roberta Anne says:

Shannon:
    OK I am really crying now. What a lovely daughter you are and how proud that wonderful Dad must be of you. My Dad went home to the Lord in 2001 and I miss him each and everyday. He was the best man I had ever known.
    Roberta Anne

7. Aimee says:

Happy Birthday Shannon’s Dad!
    Thanks for sharing this tribute, Shannon. You’ve inspired me… you and the Mother Letter Projects. My dad’s birthday isn’t until December, but I’d love to share the things I love about him sooner rather than later.

8. Teresa Stout says:

Shannon,
    Such a wonderful post. What an awesome dad you have. Loved the jail story. Happy Birthday to Shannon’s Dad!
    Teresa

9. hogphan says:

Thanks to you who’ve wished me a happy birthday and a special thanks to my wonderful daughter for that birthday wish! It’s been easy being a dad to her, even though she HAS needed a little help on left turns! We’ve had a special bond lo these many years and now as I turn 64, I’m am among all men most thankful for the 36 years we’ve had together. God has been very good to me, and one of His special gifts is my sweet girl! Shannon’s dad.

10. Juliana E. says:

That is two days in a row you have made me cry! Yesterday it was tears from laughter and today it was the love of a wonderful father!
    Tomorrow I will wait until after I read your post to put on my mascara!

11. patois says:

Happy birthday and congratulations on being so blessed to have such a wonderful dad still with you. I hope he is strong and healthy for many years to come.

12. Tater Mama says:

This made me smile. It even made me cry just a little bit. We lost my Daddy to cancer last March. He was the greatest man I’ve ever known and I loved everything about him. There’s nothing like a Daddy and a daughter is there?

13. sam says:

What a wonderful tribute and a blessed thing to have such a great relationship with him. My dad and I are not as estranged as we once were but I don’t think I could come up with such a wonderful list.

14. Linda says:

I have read for ever so long without ever commenting, but I just couldn’t click away today without wishing your Dad a Happy Birthday. Or without telling you how much I enjoy your blog.

15. Jewel says:

That was just beautiful Shannon. Your Father must be very special indeed. Your children are so lucky to have his perspective in their lives. My Dad passed away when I was 17, never seen me marry or seen his grandchildren. Cherish everyday you have him in your lives.
    Happy Birthday to Shannon’s Dad!

16. keitha says:

you have an amazing gift. thank you for sharing. i pray that our daughters one day have this type of relationship with my husband.
    blessings to you.
    keitha

17. Stretch Mark Mama says:

My dad is so similar, and like I mentioned a few days ago, I too have a son who’s a clone of my dad. It’s an incredible blessing that I NEVER could have imagined. But that boy’s (4) not my favorite, okay? DO YOU HEAR ME???!?!

18. Chen says:

That was beautiful, Shannon. I’ve been blessed with such a wonderful father, too, and I’m thankful to God for it everyday. Happy birthday to your dad.

19. Christine says:

OMG I just cried a little. That is soooo sweet and is FULL of GREAT ideas for my husband! Thank you so much, this is such a sweet post 😀 and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your Daddy!

20. KayKay says:

This was such a beautiful post. I cried all the way through it. I adored my daddy. Unfortunately he died of cancer 20 years ago at the age of 49. Good dads are one of the best things in the world. I’m so grateful to have had him and miss him everyday.

21. mimi2seven says:

Shannon’s dad is a very special guy. I’ve been married to him for almost 39 years, and I love him more today than our wedding day. He’s as great as her description…..and as funny…..and as tender……and as charming! I’m a lucky gal.

22. Shannon H says:

Happy Birthday,D (Shannon’s Dad). Shannon… It was great to read your tribute. And his response. It reminds me of my own Dad…We are very close as well! I envy you that you get to hug on him “whenever”. Mine is many many miles away. Isn’t it great to be as (ahem…) old as we are and still know that we are someone’s “princess”?

23. Jenn says:

Be blessed that you can celebrate with him today. I lost my precious daddy on Nov. 19th, my 36th birthday. I struggle but yet I live in his legacy.

24. Dawn W says:

What a wonderful tribute to your dad. I’m sure he was touched by your words.
    1/20 was my birthday, too. I turned 44 on the day the 44th president was sworn into office!
    Blessings!

25. Heidi Pocketbook says:

I’m sitting here with tears after reading this post. How blessed you are to still have your dad, and what a wonderful dad he must be! I lost mine to cancer almost 26 years ago and I still miss him so.

26. Rachael says:

A bit late to this and I’ve never commented on your blog before but this post just made me sob outloud. The pregnancy hormones probably have a lot to answer for, but it also made me think of my own dad as we are approaching the 6th anniversary of his death and I would have loved for him to meet my daughter. She and hopefully this tiny unborn baby would have loved my dad and he would have loved them.
    Happy belated birthday to you dad.