A Few Thoughts Upon the Possibility of a Snow Day Tomorrow

There's a good chance of snow tomorrow.  Or, more accurately, there's a chance of ice, because that's what we get in Oklahoma.  It's never the nice, fluffy, build-a-snowman stuff, but the hard, dangerous, destroy-the-powerlines stuff.  We are waiting patiently to see what rolls in overnight.

Well, I'm waiting patiently.  My sons are not.  They are hard at work, doing everything in their power to make sure we are snowed out of school tomorrow.  And if you think that there's not much you can do to bring on a snow day, then you clearly haven't spent much time in the 5th, 4th and 2nd grades.  It turns out there are entire systems in place.  According to the widely accepted elementary-school lore, if you sleep with your pajamas on inside out AND with underwear on your head AND with socks on your hands, then it will snow enough to cancel school.  For good measure, according to my sons, you should also turn off all the lights in the house and march around your living room chanting "ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-SNOW…ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-SNOW!"

In further preparation, I went to Wal Mart tonight, along with every other resident of the state of Oklahoma (it's how we cope with emergencies in the South: we go to Wal Mart.  Storm coming?  Go to Wal Mart.  Banking industry in decline?  Go to Wal Mart.  Global thermonuclear war?  Go to Wal Mart.  NEVER UNDERESTIMATE the ability of a greeter with yellow smiley-face stickers to cheer a girl up in the face of global thermonuclear war).

Wal Mart was well-stocked on everything, with huge displays of appropriate snow-related items, including frozen pizza and sidewalk salt.  In fact, Hubs would tell me later (because my man is a fount of bizarre trivia), Wal Mart has meteorologists whose sole job it is to track coming storms and stock stores accordingly.  It makes me feel just a tiny bit manipulated, but it's also reassuring.  Because I know that if a natural disaster strikes, I may not be able to count on my federal government, but oh-yes-ma'am I will have strawberry Pop Tarts.

(Strangely enough, though, there was only one item completely and totally sold out tonight:  Bananas.  Doesn't that seem strange?  There wasn't a banana in the whole store.  I could understand a run on bread or peanut butter or canned tuna.  OR, even more sensibly, brownie mix.  But bananas?  I can't say that, in a time of crisis, I have ever craved a banana.  Although now that I know I can't have one, I suddenly want one.)

Anyway, we're off to bed tonight, hoping for a day of school-canceling-but-not-power-outage-inducing snow tomorrow.  Maybe we can curl up on the couch in our inside-out pajamas for a movie marathon, including hot chocolate and popcorn.  (And I give it 15 minutes before someone asks for a banana.)

63 thoughts on “A Few Thoughts Upon the Possibility of a Snow Day Tomorrow

1. Laura @ Texas in Africa says:

Hope your boys’ methods work out well! Their schemes reminded me of last winter, when I got stuck at DFW during a freak March blizzard. My cousin and his wife came to save me from spending the night in the airport. When his eight-year-old daughter started telling me about the snow, she said, “I prayed that it would snow, and GOD WAS THERE!”
    I didn’t ask her where God was for me that day. πŸ™‚

2. Amber says:

I’m slightly boggled by that meteorologist tidbit. I can’t decide if it’s good or bad. Mostly, it’s probably just indicative of the sheer size of the Wal-Mart empire. Amazing.

3. Candy says:

I had to laugh at this – when my son moved to Stillwater for grad school and they had in his words “a mist of ice” he said he’d never been so terrified in his life than when was among Oklahoma drivers. Born and corn-fed in Iowa, he made driving on ice look pretty easy to the Cowboys! So I’m sure you’ll be cancelled – and there will be no banana bread for breakfast. And BTW, the pajama thing works in Iowa, too.

4. Anne says:

We’re in the area too, my kids are also hoping for snow. You’re very brave to go to WalMart today! I just got milk and filled up the car with gas at Quick Trip. (You know gas prices will jump up tomorrow as soon as as a snowflake falls, ugh!)

5. We are THAT family says:

I just have one question:
    Are YOUR pajamas inside out?
    Wait. Make that two:
    Do you have a little something special on your head?
    P.S. I think Moms (who have things to do) should have a system that counteracts the kid’s. Ya know, like something to do with extra chores.

6. Elizabeth says:

We’re waiting too. And I didn’t even go to Wal-Mart. People act too crazy and buy things like all the bananas. Nope, we stayed home and prayed there would be snow, but NO ice. Our city can’t handle another ice storm like last year!

7. Bethany says:

My mom’s desperately praying against the forecast in northeastern OK since the parents of 4 children she’s been babysitting are supposed to fly into Tulsa tomorrow night. Oy. Thankfully, I’m in OH where we were predicted a slight flurry for this afternoon, but actually had over 2 inches on our cars when we came out from church!

8. Pam @ Without Fear says:

We do the inside out jammies thing here, too, but to no avail here in the South.
    I hope the boys take the underwear off their heads before they try to watch movies tomorrow. : )
    Praying for snow, but no power outages. Stay safe and keep us posted on that little niece of yours!

9. Whitney says:

that’s awesome about walmart having meteorologists. I think I need one in my life just so I can plan what to wear and what to dress the baby in.

10. Ed Morgan says:

Expecting ice here, too, except we’re in Missouri. Went to Wal-Mart too. Stocked up on Pop Tarts, too. I guess we Missourians don’t crave bananas in an ice storm, because my store had plenty.

11. Jamie says:

Great post! I can only imagine kids running around dressing for bed like that just hoping for a snow/ice day! I didn’t find bananas at Wal-Mart today either so I headed over to Sam’s Club and found them by the bunches! I usually crave what isn’t available. Like right now, since I forgot to buy milk, I want and need chocolate milk. Hopefully the ice won’t keep me from getting milk after work tomorrow.
    Take care and stay warm!
    I want snow, not ice!
    Jamie @ Dear Diary…

12. Susie says:

I’ve never commented here, but when I read about the bananas I had to πŸ™‚ I also live in OK (Edmond) and went to the grocery store (Crest Foods)tonight along with everyone else. The display in the middle of the produce dept. is normally piled high with bananas, but tonight there were only about 2! I thought it was so strange and stranger after reading your post πŸ™‚

13. Kori says:

I live in rural Indiana and we all go to Wal-Mart when they announce bad weather also!!! I am hoping for some snow, too… ALL we have had this winter is below average temps. and ice…no pretty fluffy snowman and sledding snow… just ice!!!

14. Monica @ DailyDwelling says:

Too funny! When I was teaching school in South Carolina, a state that also only gets ice…not real snow, I prayed for snow days just as much as the students did! I hope your sons got the desires of their hearts. The Wal-Mart-banana phenomenon is quite strange.

15. Jane says:

The pajama thing always worked for us teachers in New Jersey, but not so much now that I teach in Los Angeles. Enjoy the day either way! (Never heard of the underwear thing though :0)

16. mombrud says:

It has been snowing here ALLLL day but school will go on! I only remember maybe 2 snow days in my life. I guess that’s what we get for living on the foothills of the mighty Rockies. We can even count on the mail no matter what. (Old geezer) “What!? This?! This is just a flurry. Why I remember the snow of 19__. Now that was some snow! Hee, Hee

17. Amy says:

Where I live, just outside of Nashville, TN, people flock to any grocery store at the mere thought of bad weather. Mention the words “possible icy precipitation” and you will be unable to find milk, bread or eggs within a 100 mile radius. It is quite comical.
    By the way, my boy is praying for snow tonight too.

18. mimi2seven says:

What’s up with the bananas? I wento into a different store last night looking for bananas (same city)…no bananas! A banana shortage in our fair city???

19. Tasha says:

πŸ™‚ I remember hoping and dreaming for it to snow so we could tell mom that we couldn’t do school today because everyone else was out of school! (homeschooled)
    Wally world indeed is the soother of all disasters. Where else can you shop for your favorite ice cream and DVDs at 3:30 am?

20. Alicia says:

Sadly there are no more yellow smiley face stickers at the entrance of Wal-mart. They now scan your item and print a sticker for your return. How do I know this? My three year old still asks for a smiley sticker when we go in and they still don’t have them – after 6 months of going to Wal-mart once a week. Maybe he isn’t as bright as I originally thought he was…

21. Emily says:

Part of the kids snow dance here in Ohio along with the inside out pjs is to put a spoon under their pillow and to sleep upside down in their bed. We’re expecting a snow storm Monday night. My kids don’t know yet but I’m sure I’ll be missing some spoons come 9pm tonight!

22. LadyLauraKay says:

We’ve had a snow storm here in my part of Ohio but the school has bravely stayed open because we’re getting more storms all week and expect an ice storm on Tues. so although we’ve got to go on today I’m still hopeful about tomorrow, and the next day, and the next….
    Here’s a bit of trivia for you–Did you know that Wal-Mart is the biggest seller of banannas in the US? Yes, it’s true! It’s one of those facts they are most proud of during new employee orientation. I always thought it was stranged to have bananna trees located just inside BOTH sets of doors–but apparently it works.

23. Emily says:

Oh I hit WalMart last night too, but I was unaware of storm warnings and the crowds took me completely by surprise! I was there with my 11 week old baby… fun times! And our store up in Bartlesville was out of bread. Lots of bananas though.

24. angela says:

I’m not sure about ice days or snow days, but in Florida we get hurricane days. Just recently we’ve started actually getting rain and winds on these ‘days off’. When I was in school it seemed like every hurricane day we got ended up being the most beautiful day and would lay out in the sun. Couldn’t go to the beach because of the hurricane though.

25. prasti says:

lol! 2 weeks ago, my son’s school closed due to extreme cold and he did the whole turn your clothes inside out the night before. he must have missed the memo about the socks on his hands and the underwear on his head, but he got his “snow” day anyway :).
    i hope you get your snow day (with now power outages)!

26. Sheri says:

We ran to WM last night to pick up lettuce and were astounded at the sheer number of shoppers, that’s about the time we remembered the ice storm that was supposed to come in.

27. Kelly says:

You went to WalMart the night before a snowstorm? Have you learned nothing?! πŸ˜€
    When I was growing up in New England, our never-fail method for having a snow day was watching Jeopardy the previous evening and singing along to the final Jeopardy music… “snow snow snow snow, snow snow snow….” It’s a wonder our parents didn’t strangle us! πŸ™‚

28. Lynn says:

We are waiting on the same storm as you. I think we are in the same area of OK. I hope it does not get bad, but it looks like it will later today.

29. Merrie says:

Hahaha… yes, we are also in OK (Broken Arrow) awaiting our first real winter storm after moving to OK from nice warm S. GA very close to FL and the beach! (yes, I am missing some beach time and warmth about now)
    We went to Sam’s yesterday and it was so crowded that we could hardly find a parking place or cart or get around in the store! I was wild – sorry I didn’t check out the bananas though. It must be imperative to making it through storms.

30. Tammy says:

In Ohio you could have up to 5 snow days.Same ritual with the pajamas done there.Worked sometimes !
    We now live in North Carolina.Snow days are bad here.One has to make them up.Year round schools go on Saturday and traditional go this year on President’s Day and first day of spring break.We just had 2 snow days last week.

31. A&EMom says:

You mean to tell me there are people that DON’T go to Wal-Mart the night before The Big Storm?
    Weird.
    My Wal-Mart weather guy totally predicted your banana needs, we were fully stocked. I’m happy to share.

32. MommaChelle says:

Well, we’re up here in Kansas (outside of Wichita) and are supposed to get the ice/snow today and tonight. Although I’m not sure if we’ll get enough to cancel school. (I’m secretly hoping we do, so I CAN SLEEP IN!!!)
    What made me laugh…first errand on the list for today was Wal-Mart.

33. Penny Raine says:

same here in TN about the Walmart thing, but you really know it is gonna snow (or ice) when the milk shelf at Walmart is empty, it is better predictor than any radar, just watch the locals, if they are buying up all of the milk and bread we are in for a good storm. I fixed that problem for us years ago, bought a dairy cow, if it is gonna storm at least we have hot cocoa.
    blessings, Penny Raine

34. alisha Brodrick says:

I am so happy for the text that you got this morning!!!! I am praying gor them and on the Oklahoma weather issue…. I am in the NE corner and we are doing the same thing — running to Wal-mart! I have to go to Broken Arrow for a college class tonight and am stressing about the drive but it should be ok. I am going to have to check on the banana thing at our walmart now though!!!

35. jennielynn says:

The Walmart meterologist does not surprise me in the least. Here I sit, Monday morning, wondering if school in Oklahoma was cancelled. Nothing surprises me anymore. Such is the nature of blogging.

36. Ronda says:

Yes. It’s amazing the “systems” the kids have to try to get a snow day now-a-days. My boys do the inside out & backwards pj’s. They also “must” sleep with a spoon under their pillow & throw an ice cube outside. You can bet they’ll be doing this the next couple nights here (Maryland) since snow & ice are in the forecast for the next couple days.
    Love your blog!

37. Beth Moore says:

Folks can say what they want to about Wal-Mart, but it is undeniable that they really know how to run a business. A meteorologist?? Genius!
    I don’t find there to be as much of a run at Wal-Mart on storm days here in Colorado, unless they are predicting a huge blizzard. I guess we’re just too used it.

38. Heather says:

Too funny! We are bracing for a major snow/ ice storm tonight, so I decided to join the rest of the city and hang out at Kroger. Guess what they were out of….bananas! What is that about?? They were out of yogurt too.
    I guess I missed the memo, bread and milk are out, bananas and yogurt are the new “in” snow foods. πŸ™‚ Great post!

39. Goslyn says:

When I was growing up we were supposed to put on our pajamas and sing “Let it snow” at the top of our lungs, preferably while facing an uncovered window and dancing. I was religious about this, practicing the ritual in front of our sliding glass doors with regularity. But it rarely ever worked.
    Better luck to your boys.

40. milissa says:

oh they weren’t out of bananas b/c of the storm, they were out of bananas b/c of the icky stomach bug that’s going around…at least it is in my area…and let me say, it is NOT fun. You can tolerate bananas when you can’t tolerate other foods…icky stomach bug = no bananas in store. Murphy’s law.

41. Stefani says:

I hear the inside out jammies thing works. Last week in NC I hear of quite a few kiddos donning inside out jammies and we had two snow days and a 2 hour delay. Good luck in getting a day off tomorrow!

42. Superchikk says:

I went to WalMart on my regular run this morning in NW Arkansas. This weather system definitely cramped my style because my usual leisurely shopping trip was filled with crazy people buying all kinds of winter storm stuff. Bananas were on the slim here, too. I noticed that and thought it was a bit bizarre, especially since at that time the rock salt, bread and bottled water were still in full supply.
    And you have no idea how right you are on the Strawberry Pop Tarts. There are certain things WalMart sends to places that are expecting/have had a storm, and that’s one of them!

43. Cassie J. says:

I wondered if my watch was wrong because of all these people that were shopping at MY Wal-Mart during MY shopping time. There were only green bananas left when I got to the fruits section. But, luckily the frozen pizzas were still well stocked. Great supper last night.

44. shannon H says:

hey….yes, I CONFESSS I, too, wore my pajamas inside out. My son took care of the spoon under the pillow…and my daughter flushed some ice cubes….OK, Shannon…now I need to tell you something…In all my years of parenting, school teaching and youth ministry…I have NEVER heard of putting underwear on your head. I cannot be positive, but I am pretty sure that this was a “man town” revolt from your boys. “Hey,as long as our pajamas are on inside out…let’s see if we can get her to let us wear underwear on our head!” Either way, I hope you took lots of good pics! They will be great rehearsal dinner material later!