Guess Who I Met Tonight?

Tarik.  My new little niece.  They're home.

Reed, Lee Ann and Tarik flew into our city tonight, after spending a jaw-dropping 20 straight hours in planes and airports.  Tarik traveled like a champ.  Reed reported that she only had one major breakdown, and it was in the Houston airport, in a waiting lounge in which everyone was trying to watch the Super Bowl.  (Poor baby–I feel the same way about professional football.)

Hubs snapped this picture of the kids, my Dad and me, waiting like anxious maniacs eager loved ones at the airport for our first glimpse:

Tarikarrivalwaiting

They finally made it (For privacy's sake, I schmutzed out Tarik's face in this picture, which is really a shame, because oh my stars, it is a cute face.  But I think the look on Reed and Lee Ann's faces say it all):

Tarikarrivalrla

Just after this photo, I got a chance to hold my new niece while her momma made a quick dash to the restroom.  She is absolutely scrumptious and she melted my heart, though even in her sleep, she was a little squirmy in my arms.  But the moment I passed her back to Lee Ann?  Every muscle in her body relaxed, and she nestled comfortably against the mother she's known for only six days.  That is a testament to the gentleness of my sister-in-law.  Even more, it's a testament to God's faithfulness to knit together hearts even across oceans.  I'd say He knows how to put together a family.

A fun little side note:  Lee Ann had e-mailed that Tarik is quite a spitter-upper, so I told her I'd have a stack of burp cloths laundered and waiting at the airport.  Thanks to all our fidgety at-home time during the ice storm, I even managed to embroider one with her name on it, because a name that pretty just begs to be written:

Tarikburpcloth

(I didn't make the actual cloth.  It's a dish towel, terry cloth on one side and waffle weave on the other, perfect for embroidering and extra-absorbent because of the terry.  I'm really pleased with how it turned out.)

Thank you so much for your prayers–so many of you sent sweet comments and e-mails that were profoundly moving and encouraging.  If it crosses your mind, I'd appreciate your continued prayers as this sweet family establishes its new rhythm, and as the two big sisters meet little Tarik first thing tomorrow (Monday) morning.

Thank you again.

85 thoughts on “Guess Who I Met Tonight?

1. Candy says:

What a blessing to your family, and how blessed little Tarik is to have such loving parents! For the record, I had a mini-breakdown AFTER the game since I was cheering for the Cardinals! Perhaps that was Tarik’s reason?

2. Jamie says:

Congrats to everyone!!! I’m sure this is a little bit scary for Tarik! I’m sure with your sister’s gentleness, she’ll be at home soon!

3. Julie says:

I vividly remember that feeling walking off the plane 5 short weeks ago with our two new kids. I was a zombie…a happy zombie though. God bless them. Many prayers as they transition and hopefully get some sleep.

4. Stretch Mark Mama says:

There’s nothing I admire more than a sweet mother. My word, can she bottle that up and send it my way?
    And.
    Those airport homecomings are So. Ex. Ci. Ting. I’ve been on both sides, and ohmyword, it’s so maddeningly wonderful.

5. Tonggu Momma says:

I’ve lived through such a trip, albeit from the other side of the world (China to the Eastern US). Your SIL looks darn good after THAT travel day.
    Airport homecoming are so very exciting. And surreal. I’ve been on both sides of it and there is truly nothing like it.
    Welcome home, little Tarik.

6. Donnetta says:

Not even sure how to comment. I’m so struck with the beauty, wonder and amazement of it all. What fantastically amazing news!
    Your embroidered work turned out perfect! What at treasure for them I’m sure.
    Continuing to pray for their transition.

7. Grateful for Grace says:

Oh, I’m having a miserable morning, so this made my day. I think I might tape up Tarik’s name in my kitchen so thoughts of her, her family and God’s mercy can flood my mind today. How loving He is.
    Thanks for a time to cry with joy. To focus on something beautiful God is doing this week.

8. LANA says:

I am glad I caught this story from the beginning and what a nice tale it is….and it’s only the beginning! Congratulations on your new, beautiful niece!

9. Amy says:

Thank you so much for sharing this story! It brings back such sweet memories, in addition to tears to my eyes. Congratulations to your entire family!

10. Laurie Ann says:

How precious!
    Also, just wanted to stop in and say congratulations for being one of the Internet Cafeโ€™s Top 100 Christian Womenโ€™s Blogs of 2008! Your blog truly does bless!

11. Angie says:

What a wonderful and beautiful blessing for your family! Tarik KNOWS who her Mama is. God does know how to knit a family together. We are in the process of adopting a 2 year old boy (our son now), who has been in our home as a foster child since last May.
    A little “God orchestration”: I HELD this sweet boy less than a YEAR before he was placed with us! I was at my teen son’s PT/OT appt., and this foster mom was there, with this precious little baby. I asked to hear his story, and if I could hold him. Who KNEW???? God sure did! And he looks SO much like hubby even though there is nothing in common in their nationalities. God is SO good!

12. Laury Hoganson says:

I am hopefully getting a niece from China soon ๐Ÿ™‚
    God is so good and I agree with you comment about him stiching families together from across the globe.
    YEA!!

13. lisa says:

Cute cloth, cute baby [from what I cansee] Gosh, do I remember that long, unending flight from Amsterdam to Detroit, the layover and then the “short” hahahah flight home when I adopted my two kids! I know the exhaustion they are ALL feeling!!

14. Juice says:

How wonderful! I know that God is going to continue to bless this family. ๐Ÿ™‚
    And what a gorgeous burp cloth! I’d love to copy it for a friend. Can you give more details about the cloth itself (where did you find it) and the design? Thanks!

15. Carrie says:

Having done the 20+ hours on a plane from Ethiopia with a new child, I can say that it is rough. I’m glad they all made it home safe and sound! Just looking at that sweet home coming picture brought back tons of sweet and exhausted memories!!

16. Jane Anne says:

Oh, I am so excited for your family. What a sweet gathering at the airport! I just said a prayer for little Tarik, her parents, and sisters.
    Also -The towel that you embroidered is beautiful!

17. Val says:

My daughter is adopted, not from overseas. I can affirm the instant bonding of hearts when I first held her at 4 days. I usually forget that she is adopted.
    Just recently, at 25, she told me that she is glad she is adopted. That her mother made the ultimate sacrifice to give her a good home. She also had occasion to tell a young man who fathered a child and chose with the the mother to reliquish the child for adoption, how she felt about adoption and affirm his and her choice.
    I was blown away. She is a single mother herself who kept our precious grandson. She was our difficult child, and this was the firs time she ever talked to me about being adopted like this.

18. Julie says:

You made me cry. Thank you! It is so wonderful to hear this story, I am sure that everyone will look forward to continuing updates as allowed!

19. Emily says:

Congratulations on your new niece. God does knit families together across the oceans. When we brought our little guy home from Ethiopia at five months he spit up a lot too. A lot. We switched him to soy formula the day after he got home and he double the amount he was drinking and stopped spitting up. A lot of African kids don’t do milk well. We kept him on soy until 18 months and now he is fine on milk. Just a thought — they might want to try the same with Tarik and see if it works.