Now If Only They’d Brought Along the Tater Tot Casserole

The Duggars were in our city this weekend for a book signing.  My boys and I are fascinated by their show, so we were eager to attend.  We were especially excited to learn that the camera crew for their Discovery Channel show would be along to film the signing.  NO ANTICS, I warned, lest we end up on a Discovery Channel special entitled See? Some Christian Families Act Like Hooligans.  Check your local listings.

They introduced their crew, sang a song, and then they opened up to the audience for questions.  My middle son (also known as The Loose Cannon) shot his hand straight up in the air.  My mind raced with possible scenarios:  Please-oh-please, son, do not tell Michelle Duggar a fart joke.  I managed to get his attention.

"What do you want to ask?" I whispered.

He whispered back incredulously.  "How does she homeschool so many different ages all at the same time?"  Ah.  It's good to know that a mother with multi-tasking abilities is a foreign concept to the child.

He never got to ask his question, incidentally, but there were some good ones from the rest of the audience.  If you want to see the videos, I posted them at YouTube. Here was their answer to how they came up with all the "J" names, and here was their answer about whether or not their kids wanted to go to college.  I loved it that they were momentarily stumped when asked about all the kids' ages, because I am stumped by the ages (and, well, occasionally the names) of just my four.

It was a really fun afternoon–the Duggars were funny, gracious and humble (and, incidentally, I think Michelle may have the prettiest skin I've ever seen).  They made it clear that they are not a perfect family with all the answers, but they're doing what they're doing only by God's grace.  I can relate to that just fine.

50 thoughts on “Now If Only They’d Brought Along the Tater Tot Casserole

1. MM says:

I hate to admit this, but for a long time, I secretly hated the Duggar family. Their name came to light in the midst of our infertility journey and on the heels of yet another pregnancy loss. I kept thinking, “Michelle just thinks she’s all that with all those babies/children around her. Yeah, be proud Michelle. You’re special. And selfish and arrogant and clueless.”
    But thankfully, God brought me out of the jealous darkness that infertility overwhelmed me with. I watch the Duggar family in awe now and wonder how she handles many things. Their love of God and each other is so obvious. Yes, they have been blessed abundantly, while some of my barren girl friends will never have children. But I don’t see the Duggars doing anything but honoring what God has given them. And that is something I need to learn to do better myself!

2. Kim says:

Yup that family fascinates me! We have 2 sets of families that we are friends with that 8 and 10 kids and they are such great families. Me? We have 3 and that’s plenty for us! LOL.
    Blessings to you.
    KIm

3. Michelle says:

That must have been an awesome experience….
    We just got into teaching our youngest son about how babies are born (as far as where they typically come out)….and he was traumatized with the thought of where he came from and what I “went through”, lol…..so yeah, like you….I would be fearing what question he would propose to Michelle Duggar. HA!

4. Dana says:

Great videos! I’m fascinated by the Duggars. I don’t know if it’s because they have 18 children, or because Michelle Duggar always seems to be so kind and patient and never frazzled. I wonder if she ever gets a day off from all the chaos of being wife, mother and homeschooler?

5. Dana~Are We There Yet? says:

MM’s comment above touched me. What sweet honesty. I’ve struggled with bitterness like she describes, and, like MM, I’m learning (s-l-o-w-l-y) to view my circumstances, whatever they may be, as being opportunities to honor God and grow in grace.
    Also, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, the comma, it is my friend.
    Lastly, the loose cannon? Yep. I got me one of them. Keeps me humble. And honest.

6. Bonnie says:

I am so happy to know I am not the only one that cringes when their son wants to ask a question! I wonder..is it your most charming child as well?
    I think the Duggars is a great show for the family to watch. They really show the family unit, how much they help each other out, there is never a t.v. on blaring in the background etc. Good back to the basics family values.

7. Sheila says:

Their book was very good! While they feel called to live differently than I do, we have in common a great love for God. I remain open to what God teaches me, as I belive they do also. They are an amazing family.

8. BlueCastle says:

I’ve seen the Duggar’s show a few times, and I have to say I am very impressed with their organization, joyfulness and sense of family togetherness. If ever there was one couple that should have tons and tons of kids – it’s the Duggars. They practice what they preach and approach parenting with grace, humility and a sense of humor.

9. Cheri says:

LOL – the second I read your title I knew it had something to do with the Duggars. Thank you for the post – I really like the fact that the Duggars seem to “get” their kids. They don’t force them to be sit around like little robots or complain constantly about their child-like behaviors πŸ™‚

10. Jen says:

How FUN that you all got to see them! I loooove that show so much! I actually laughed out loud at the name for YOUR new show…and I think I roused my husband from his Sunday afternoon dozing! πŸ˜‰

11. Beth says:

I love the Duggars as well. I honestly don’t know how she does it — well, I do.. with God’s help of course. Must have been so much fun to be there.

12. KayKay says:

What a fun thing to do! I would like to meet them. The thing that impresses me the most about the Duggars is the fact that although they are obviously incredibly conservative you never sense them being judgemental of others.

13. Hillary says:

LURVE the Duggars and that is so cool you got to see them LIVE and in person. Her patience amazes me and surely is from God. I can’t manage not to scream at my TWO measley children. They are super impressive (and super fertile, but that’s none of my business…). πŸ™‚

14. Rhonda says:

Hi, I love the Duggars. They are such great christians and have a heart for the Lord…not just on TV either…that is who they are. I have met them in person…I have been to their home…It is so cool…she taught me how she runs the home, why she has so many children. I even met a special lady that is there to do their laundary every day because she LOVES laundary…Can you imagine how much laundary? I can’t imagine someone loving it either! I met every child except for their latest, seen every room in the house…neat kids & beautiful family!

15. Gego says:

Shannon,
    I am already a great admirer of your ability to juggle all your responsibilities. Even in a family with two children, there is always a “loose cannon”. You handle all 4 with great aplomb.
    I, too, watch the Duggars. I often wonder why there are no Grandparents on the show. Then, in one moment of trying to remember 4 GRAND’s names when they were all talking at the same time, I knew. If I couldn’t call each one by their given names without mixing some of them up, then how on earth could a Grandparent get 18 correct? A child’s name is important! Even if I numbered them 1 through 18, I would forget which child belonged to which number.I would need a chart with a picture attached and then it still would be hard.
    I greatly admire the Duggars and their success as parents and a family. God creates very special Mothers and Fathers with special talents to be parents. Not all are the same.
    Blessings abound all around each of you with families of 1,2,3,4,5,….. or more. God’s blessing is that no two will be the same. Each precious child has a gift to offer to the world. Your “loose cannon” may end up on the Supreme Court!

16. Rhonda says:

Sorry, it is too late for this blogger and just realized after reading my post…(guess I should have done this before I pushed send.) that I mis-spelled laundry 3 x! Ooops….off to dreamland!

17. Trixie says:

Hi,
    I’ve enjoyed watching the Duggar family too and I ‘ve been wanting to get their book 20 and counting. It’s pretty neat you got to see them in person!
    Take Care,
    Trixie

18. Superchikk says:

I live in the same town as the Duggars and have known folks around them all the time. (Grandma Duggar was my 7th grade Sunday School teacher! Nice claim to fame, huh? :)).
    Michelle and her older girls came to a girls’ night one of our SS classes had a couple of weeks ago. They brought little Jordyn-Grace with them, of course. It was really cool to get to sit and talk with them and ask Michelle questions. You’re exactly right when you say that she is quick to say that they don’t consider themselves super parents or “special”, they’re just doing what God has called them to do.
    She told us about her journey with patience and how she struggled with anger and raising her voice at her children. It was inspiring – if she could do it, so could I.
    And I couldn’t believe how scripture just flowed from her mouth as she spoke – it inspired me to get back to memorizing scripture on a regular basis again.

19. kelsie says:

we love that show. if more people were like them, this world would be a better place. as for the tater tot casserole…i just printed off the recipe last week! on the family’s website, they have quite a few of their favorite recipes. duggarfamily.com hopefully we can see them sometime down here in texas!

20. Pam Collier says:

Love that show! I missed the first episodes of the new season because I didn’t update my DVR to record ’18 and counting’..I was still trying to watch 17…but I’m caught up now..no worries!

21. gretchen from lifenut says:

I’ve noticed the same thing about her skin and wondered if it was thanks to makeup on the show. I think Michelle is so youthful in appearance and spirit because she has a truly gentle heart.
    It proves that beauty is truly something that shines from within.
    I love the show, too. And I struggle with our kids’ ages—and my own sometimes…

22. GiBee says:

Amen.
    And I only have ONE. Praise God. Just kidding. Although he went streaking this weekend. Not a good scenario. Enough to almost drive me over the edge!

23. just another day in paradise says:

Having once lived in the same town they live in, I can tell you I’ve seen them a couple of times. Not impressed. He was amazingly rude to the staff at one restaurant. While it is possible that there is more to them than met my eye, I’ve never been interested in the edited for tv version after having seen the unedited version.

24. Jessica says:

How neat!!! I watch their show all the time, and I love to read about them. I wish they would come to my town, I’d LOVE to see them all in person. πŸ™‚

25. Jessica says:

Also, in response to “just another day in paradise”….. I guess we’ve all had our bad days. I try very hard to be polite all the time, and I know that being polite all the time is the way the Lord wants us to be, but in all honesty I’d have to admit that I’ve been rude at least a few times to people in public. I’d hate to think that someone would see me in a bad mood and tell everyone that I’m not who I say I am. I guess what I’m trying to say is that no one is perfect (exccept the Lord!).

26. Sharon says:

Hi Shannon! Just have to let you know I’m passing on the Kreativ Blogger award to you! You have really motivated me to start this bloggy world and I love reading your stuff every day! I like the Duggars too–they are truly special!

27. TrishNotChris says:

We,too, like the Duggars at our house. While we don’t live exactly the same lifestyle, it’s very refreshing to see another Christian family, with similar values, on television. To actually hear the Lord’s name (not taken in vain)in primetime is exciting.
    As an aside, sometimes when insomnia hits, Hubs and I will lay in bed and come up with new “J” name suggestions. His latest suggestion was “Jacinto.” Somehow, I don’t think that’s going to fly. πŸ™‚
    Trish

28. Jena (Organizing Mommy) says:

Wow! That sounds so neat. I think I would’ve enjoyed your son’s joke.LOL. Wore my Keens today that I won on your site contest. That was the coolest thing, and I still think of you when I wear them. Blessings.

29. Heather says:

We love the Duggars (and their recipes)too. I have a few home school mom friends who have met and talked with Michelle and they said she is really sweet and down to earth.

30. Mary says:

I love the Duggars. I think they are a wonderful inspiration and an amazing family. I would love to get the chance to meet them in person. Their faith and down-to-earth-ness is humbling.

31. Nicole says:

Aren’t they great? I just love the Duggars. They are so humble and just doing what they feel lead by the Lord to do. They are so fun to watch…and that casserole! So yummy. πŸ˜‰