And They’re Off…

India3 This is a big day today for a handful of bloggers.  They're headed to India, to the city Calcutta (or Kolkata, as I think we're supposed to call it now, but I'm sorry, the old 5th-grade geography sticks with me).  They're going with Compassion International to live-blog what they see.  I suspect that they, and those of us following along at home, are about to have our comfy American socks knocked off.

When Shaun was first telling me about this trip several months ago, he mentioned what a challenge it would be for those bloggers who will try to describe it adequately.  He explained that the poverty on the streets of Calcutta is like no other poverty in the world, so vast is its scope.  Please join in me praying for these bloggers–for their safety, for their families back at home, for their own hearts as they try to tell us some powerful stories.

And please pray, most of all, that their words will resonate with those who have not, perhaps, heard of Compassion's powerful work.  If people can see and understand how Compassion is bringing true hope to a dark situation, and if they'll join in the effort, children will be sponsored.  Lives will be saved.

So please pray, and follow along with these bloggers as they tell their stories.  (Barring any technical or logistical issues, I'm hoping that one of the bloggers, my friend Robin, will be guest-posting here next week.)  I shared a couple of days ago my concerns about what is not, perhaps, quite right with the blogosphere, and many of you kindly expressed they were concerns you shared too.  But this India trip?  This is the power of the blogosphere at its highest and very best.

Be a part of it, and help spread the word.

12 thoughts on “And They’re Off…

1. mel says:

I am following several of the bloggers who will be on this trip, and Compassion is such an awesome organization!! These folks need our prayers to be sure.

2. Tammy says:

They will all be in my prayers. What a great idea. I love people with a heart for others and those that hold so much compassion. The Lord truly loves their hearts. Thanks for shaing this information. I’ve posted a button for this program. Blessings to you.

3. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect says:

Shannon, you’re so right – this IS the power and the good of the blog world. I blogged about it today – and told you a bit about it earlier this year – but reading the blogs of the folks who’ve gone on the last two Compassion trips has changed my heart. And I’m pretty sure, changed my life.

4. Nancy says:

Thank you for spreading the word about the Compassion India trip! I’m really excited to see where they go in Kolkata — my daughter (who’s been home with us for 16 months) was born there. We just started another adoption, and we’re praying our next daughter will be from the same orphanage.
    I loved your last post. I am purposely not Tweeting or doing Facebook because I already spend enough time on my computer! :o)
    — Nancy

5. Dawn says:

I agree, what a wonderful project! Bloggers really know how to pull together for a great cause.
    Looking forward to meeting you at the MNO! =)

6. bia says:

I spent my spring break reading “City of Joy”, and the incredible generosity and love of the poor of Calcutta was amazing to read. This is a book I will revisit at least once a year . . . it keeps me humble.