Revelation

Robin of Pensieve is my blog-friend-turned-real-life-friend, and she's is a fireball of energy, personality and heart.  She is so dear to me, and I have been especially moved, on a very personal level, to watch her passionate participation in Compassion's India blog trip.  She has shared words that are profound, gut-wrenching, beautiful and honest.  Before she left, I asked her if she'd be willing to guest post here at my blog while she was overseas, and she graciously agreed.  Robin's powerful words and photo arrived in my in-box this afternoon, and I can hardly wait for you to read on…

I'm standing in the shower while a perpetual army of water soldiers fights off the day's sweat and filth and emotion when I notice the shelf in front of me.  I mentally tick off seven miniature bottles whose purpose is to clean, condition, soften and fragrance the top of my head to the bottom of my feet..when I lose it.

It's the second time today the tear dam burst when I didn't even know there was a crack in the dike.

DSC_2484

I've seen things this week I shouldn't have.

I've seen things this week I shouldn't have because they just shouldn't "be" to begin with.

DSC_2392

Poverty is a wicked assault that seeks to strip away the dignity of those in its path.

January 26, 2009 is a significant date to me; it's when Shaun Groves called me for the first time to discuss the possibility of me joining him on the next Compassion Bloggers trip.   While there's an entire level of insanity for me to leave my husband and children to go, observe and write about a people I don't even know, it was never even a question I had to ask myself.  I said it to him, and in the ensuing months, over and over again to others, "I can think of no better reason to write than to lend my voice to those who have none of their own."

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly;
defend the rights of the poor and needy."

Proverbs 31:8,9

If I'm not mistaken, God's tellin', not askin'….

And yet, less than a week ago I was blissfully, ignorantly living the cliched American dream when God appointed a time for me to fly.

For 18 hours and forever, He's given me wings.

Poverty is no longer a word defined by Webster's; I've seen its generational reach as it self perpetuates.  It's a Machiavellian assault on the innocents.  I despise the injustices I've seen.  I'm angry at the inequity of life.  And oddly, though the potential exists almost to romanticize the poor, I see God at work in and through these circumstances.  Maybe it's in those who suffer, but maybe it's in those who have the means to relieve the burden.

If you're a regular RIMD reader, you already know Shannon's a Compassion advocate; now, you've heard some of my storyCompassion International isn't the only child advocacy organization making a difference in children's lives, but it it's the best one I'm aware of.

Look at these kids–they have hope!  Compassion kids are different, you can see it in their eyes (it's always in their eyes…).  We visited four different projects this week and I could see joy…peace…hope in their countenance, something that was noticeably absent in street kids or those wandering villages.

DSC_2344

If you've finally reached the tipping point and are ready to sponsor a child in need and release him from indignity of poverty, please click here and you'll meet children who are waiting to hear from you.  At least click through to learn more.

It might just be the first move in a domino effect that breaks the cycle of poverty in a family forever…

because young girls and old women shouldn't have to bathe in the streets.

21 thoughts on “Revelation

1. nikkipolani says:

A powerful entry — thank you for inviting Robin to guest post. I have seen these very images myself when I visited Calcutta over 10 years ago. People literally living on the street five or ten feet apart.

2. Vanderbilt Wife says:

After reading about Africa…and the Dominican Republic…and now India, after doing many overseas trips, my heart (AKA the Holy Spirit) finally insisted on our family sponsoring a child. I can’t wait to meet him through letters and have him “grow up” with our daughter.

3. Laura@HeavenlyHomeamakers says:

I’ve been eating up Robin’s posts…well all of them really. I love what Compassion is doing and how the bloggers have opened themselves up to this ministry. It makes me want to cry…and shout with excitement at the very same time. I LOVE how we can all be a part of this by sponsoring a child…and by praying.

4. We are THAT family says:

Thank you Robin (and Shannon) for this painfully, honest, soul-searing entry. It is WHY you are there, Robin. It is WHY you went, Shannon. Thank you for going, for writing, for telling, for moving us to COMPASSION.

5. Mary who wishes she had a cool blog name says:

Thank you Robin for going. For being willing to allow the Lord to use you to show us a glimpse into the horrors of poverty. And the smiles of hope — a hope that comes from knowing Jesus. It’s in that hope that I want to live. It’s in that hope I want to operate.
    This is the hope I want to give to others. The hope of Jesus Christ!

6. Angel says:

Wow, brought me to tears. This is written beautifully, especially the last line.
    ecause young girls and old women shouldn’t have to bathe in the streets.
    No they shouldn’t and I am sure none of us can really comprehend without seeing.

7. Fran says:

The last sentence got me. The whole week has broken my comfy little heart. I’m a mess and I’m thankful for it. Now, just praying for God to reveal something to me. What now? How can I be used? Make me totally different!
    Love,
    Fran
    TN

8. PastormacsAnn says:

Thank you Shannon for letting Robin guest host. It is an amazing post. This week following the Compassion Bloggers has given me such a fierce desire to go with Compassion and see how they put Jesus’ love and our sponsorship into action. Praying many many more children receive sponsors.

9. Gego says:

My heart is so sad for these children. My heart breaks for the children in our country that are starving, lack medical care, dental care, food, water, shelter, and clothing. As a retired Elementary Counselor, I wonder why Compassion doesn’t also help those in their communities also.
    My intention isn’t to degrade Compassion, there are children in the USA that need as much help as those chosen for you to serve.
    Please find it in your hearts to help all children who NEED to know Jesus.

10. LiLing Pang (Trekaroo) says:

My husband and I spent 5 months in Africa and it changed how we view the world forever. I never ever want to forget the injustices I see because God never forgets. Our family just sponsored our 3rd child. This child will be my 6 year old’s birthday present at the end of this month. We can’t afford to take our kids to India or Africa right now, but one day, I would love to travel with them. Read some of my thoughts on this on The Talking Trekaroo.

11. Faerylandmom says:

This is EXACTLY why I’ve always wanted to sponsor…the hope on their sweet faces. And thanks to the good Lord, my husband gave me his blessing, and we picked a little boy who has the same birthday as my oldest child. 🙂

12. e-Mom says:

Followed you over here, sweets. Tears… you’re doing a wonderful job of giving a voice to those who can’t speak for themselves… those who must bathe in the streets. :~D