In the Interest Of Tying Up Loose Ends

Believe it or not, I'll often get e-mails from people who have read through some of my archives and are curious about where things stand now.  I've been saving up those questions for a giant update which will be interesting only to my mother, so unless you gave birth to me, please do not feel like you have to read on…

How is Dissan, your Compassion child you met in Uganda?

He is doing very well.  We just got a new picture of him about a month ago, and he is positively strapping–I think he's going to be a really tall man someday!  His letters have been frequent and happy this year–his family's health appears to be stable.  He always asks me to pray for him to do well in school.

Do you still like the paperbagged walls in your bathroom?

Yes and no.  That was a cheap and easy stop-gap measure for walls that are damaged.  In any room other than a bathroom, I think I'd probably still love it.  But over the course of the months (and it took a while) the high bathroom humidity has started to make some of the edges get crinkly.  One section near the shower has started coming down entirely.

But never fear!  A few weeks ago, I walked in there to find my problem-solving husband re-attaching that portion of the paper WITH A STAPLE GUN.  And let me tell you, when you reach a point where you staple-gun paper bags to your bathroom walls, then you know that you have truly reached the highest heights of sophistication.

I'm ultimately going to have to find a longer-term solution (probably wallpaper), just as soon as I can find some time to work on it–so probably in 2033.

How are the pet rats?

Well, in a word, they're dead.  So I guess you could say they're not doing very well.

The last one died about three months ago, much to the despair of my sons.  My favorite back-yard flower bed is now a little rat cemetary, a fact I choose not to think about when I sit out there sipping my Diet Coke.  Certainly, the rats did not die from neglect–I was so proud of how my boys took care of them.  My oldest, especially, was so responsible, even carefully monitoring their little ratty diets.  (I tried to tell him that they weren't exactly delicate flowers; their grandaddy, after all, came from the sewer.)

It pains me to admit it, but they were good pets–smart and clean-ish, for rodents.  They were almost good enough to make me entertain the thought of getting more of them, but then I remember the tails.  I could just never get over the tails.

Speaking of rodents, what about the mouse under the fridge?

It took a few a lot an outrageous number of tries, but we got him.  Actually, them.  There were at least four.  But they're gone now, as is the lingering smell.  You're very welcome, and enjoy your breakfast.

How are the new kitchen counters working out?

I love them.  LOVE them.  We went with quartz, which is a little less expensive than granite and much lower-maintenance.  And I have never regretted it for a second–I love everything about those countertops.  The good news is that the speckledy pattern I chose doesn't show streaks, stains or food.  The bad news is that the speckledy pattern I chose doesn't show streaks, stains or food, which means that sometimes I'll run my hand over a forgotten corner and, well, just eww.

How's your new baby niece?

She couldn't be any better!  She is healthy, content, and beautifully bonded to her new family.  She is also THE most communicative one year old I've ever seen–if I started describing to you how smart this child is, you wouldn't even believe me.  We're all just dazzled by her.  Many thanks to those of you who prayed for their family.

What did you decide about the kid cell phone?

We ended up adding a "kid phone" a couple of months ago, simply because our own phone contracts were up for renewal, and they offered us a ridiculously cheap family option.  It doesn't belong to any one kid; whoever most needs it gets to carry it.  Initially, I handed down more laws than Moses about that phone–you wouldn't believe all the rules I've attached to it.

But (and this is the way things generally go around here), after all my stewing and worrying and concern that this might turn into some abuse of privilege or Very Serious Moral Issue, it's been a complete non-event.  My two older boys have been completely responsible with it, never once violating (or complaining about) my 427 cell phone laws.  The truth is, my kids have good heads on their shoulders.  I should give them more credit sometimes.

Did I forget anything?  (*UPDATED:  I've answered a few more questions in the comments section.)

24 thoughts on “In the Interest Of Tying Up Loose Ends

1. se7en says:

What a great post… it’s like a window into everyday life… lovely, I can’t stand those tails either – I would rather pick up snakes and that’s saying something!!!

2. Teresa says:

A really great post….I enjoyed reading your blog today. I am still so new to blogging, but love reading others stories.
    Everyone has a story and so many of them are so touching….
    Hope you will stop by for a visit.
    The May give-away has started and this month there will be 10 winners.
    I will be blogging from Disney World soon…

3. Kim says:

Phew! I’m caught up on things I don’t even remember, so I’m good. LOL.
    As far as the rats, we have two squirrels that take peanuts out of our hand and all I can think of is if we shaved them they would look just like rats, but as of right now we think they are so cute! LOL. Yeah it’s the tail that does it for me too.
    Hugs.
    Kim

4. Rachel says:

Thanks for the updates…most of those posts I had forgotten about I did pray for your sweet niece when they went to get her. Have a beautiful Monday.

5. Amy Beth @ Ministry So Fabulous! says:

One time (on Twitter, I think) you mentioned that you had questions about incorporating plans for your blog into your (living?) will. Did you ever take any action on this? I’ve just been wondering what you can do (legally) to make sure your blog is left in the right hands so to speak… weird, morbid question, but still curious.
    FROM SHANNON: Yes, I did. I put the log-in info in my will, and I left my husband instructions on what I’d like to see done with it, and I gave him the contact info for a couple of blog friends who would be able to help advise him.

6. CM says:

At one point you said you had lost some weight and would address it at a later time. Did I miss that post??
    FROM SHANNON: No, you didn’t miss anything, and yes, I’ve lost a lot of weight in the last year (about 45 pounds)–due partly to a diagnosed thyroid condition and partly to really changing my eating habits.

7. Rebecca Dawdy says:

Still curious which camera you decided to buy? In the market, too, and thanks to the comments section I’m leaning towards Canon Powershot A2000 IS for both ease and much better than my current point/shoot. (Mom of 8 and fellow lostie!)
    FROM SHANNON: My husband managed to fix our old one (though thankfully NOT with a staple gun), but I think it’s on its last leg. When it finally dies, I’m planning to buy a Canon, though I haven’t decided which one yet.

8. Amy says:

I would love to hear your 427 cell phone laws!
    FROM SHANNON: Well, of course, there aren’t REALLY 427, but I do have a few. The biggest ones are no texting, except to Mom and Dad, and when the kids are home, the phone resides in a “cell hotel” at the backdoor. A friend gave me the idea for that second rule, and I think it’s brilliant.

9. BlueCastle says:

It is nice to have an update on some of the posts that I’ve wondered about. ๐Ÿ™‚ I have to say that the more I’ve thought about it, the more I like your kid cell phone rules. Just the other day, I was wishing I had a phone to give my 8yo boy just in case he needed to call me in an emergency. So, you could say I’ve changed my position as that was not my original stance that I took when you first wrote about it. ๐Ÿ™‚

10. gretchen from lifenut says:

We have a cell hotel. It’s my purse.
    When Aidan went off to California for a week, we felt we should send a cell phone with her, so we bought one. Her phone is on a pre-paid plan, so she can’t do very much financial damage if she goes on a chatter-spree.
    Baby steps.
    Any vacation plans this summer?

11. Val says:

I just ran across your update. I have no idea what the original stories entailed, but really needed a smile and laughed out loud. Thanks.

12. Dawn W says:

I used the same papering technique in a previous home. Fortunatley, we moved before it started to come down. I often wonder about the things that have been said about me because of that room! LOL