Romancin’

Last week Hubs and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary, and he surprised me with a weekend getaway of such perfection that all future weekend getaways will surely develop inferiority complexes.

"We're going to a place called Aaron's Gate," he told me, "a few miles outside of Guthrie, Oklahoma."

(I am not a native Oklahoman.  I had never heard of Guthrie.  It's such an interesting and picturesque town that I'll have to wait and give it a post all its own, very soon.)

Hubs and I have stayed in some lovely places during our years together, but this place takes the cake.  Photos, of course, won't do it justice, but I'll do my best.

We headed in the general direction of Guthrie, Oklahoma, turning off the interstate to drive on about ten miles of this:

Anniv1

(I love roads like that, don't you?)

When we had officially reached The Middle Of Nowhere, we pulled up to the front gates:

Anniv2

I know–charming, isn't it?  Here's a close-up:

Anniv3

Once inside the gates, we wound through the woods:

Anniv4

…and we pulled up to our unassuming little cabin:

Anniv5

When we got out, we immediately noticed the quiet.  No traffic, no people, no sounds at all–just the birds, the wind, and the crickets.

We opened the door to the cabin, and this is what we found:

Anniv6

Anniv7

Anniv8

Anniv9

Anniv10

(Behind this armoire was the giant television and DVD library.  We watched a lot of movies, including the very excellent HBO series on John Adams.  Because, you know, nothing says "romance" like a bunch of men in wigs and tights declaring their independence from the King of England):

Anniv11

Anniv13

A hot tub in the screened-in porch.  My fingers are permanently pruned from all the soaking:

Anniv14

They left us our dinner and the next day's breakfast in the fridge.  By this point, I was so smitten with the place that I half expected little mythical woodland creatures to show up and prepare the food for us:

Anniv15

Anniv16

("WHY ARE YOU TAKING PICTURES OF A CHICKEN LAMP?" Hubs asked at this point.  Fair question.)

The weekend was perfect, and I have found my new favorite little spot.  We agreed that if someone couldn't relax in this quaint spot, then they just couldn't relax.

Last picture, I promise, on our way back out of the gates as we left:

Anniv17

See?  Perfect.

87 thoughts on “Romancin’

1. Carol says:

How did your hubby ever find it? Wow! They really went to a lotta work on the inside. I enlarged the pictures and the table with the Eiffel Tower lamp is very interesting!! I loved that. And I loved the chicken lamp, oh, and the screen next to the armoire. Wow.
    Happy Anniversary!
    Carol

2. Dorci says:

Hey, I have that Paris canister! I have candy in mine. That place is just beautiful. It almost reminded me of the Shire. He did an excellent job.

3. C D says:

… because what other lamp has feathers for a lampshade???
    What a great place… I have relatives in OKC and will have to tell them about it… and maybe my hubs and I will try to go.
    Thank you for sharing (and publicizing) this place!! It looks wonderful and it sounds/looks like you had an amazing weekend away. And congrats on 15 years!

4. Pattie says:

Wow…what an amazing place. Was there just one little cabin or several? You would never think from looking at the outside that is would be that wonderful inside!
    Happy 15th anniversay too!

5. Kelly says:

…and here is where I summon every ounce of Southern I’ve picked up in the last five years and say, “oh, how SUWEEEET!”.
    Seriously, that is just darling. So glad you got to enjoy it…and congratulations on fifteen years!

6. Tootie says:

What a neat place!! I’m so glad you enjoyed your time there.
    And, for the record, I think it’s perfectly normal to take pictures of chicken lamps πŸ™‚

7. *~Michelle~* says:

Picking my jaw up from the keyboard…..
    that place is amazing…..it is now officially penned onto my “Bucket List”.
    Thanks for sharing……and I wanted to tell you that I giggled out loud with the mythical woodland creatures reference…..
    congrats again on 15 years…..sounds like you have a keeper!

8. Rachel says:

Happy Anniversary! And yes, nothing says romance like men in wigs declaring independence from the King of England. My husband and I would have LOVED watching that. πŸ™‚ I’m serious. Looks like you had a nice rest.

9. Adventures In Babywearing says:

Um, oh my gosh did I just use “passed” when I should have used “past” ? and you know what… I don’t even know what the correct use is at this moment this morning! What has happened to my brain? Need to go to Guthrie!
    Steph

10. Kristin says:

Congratulations on 15 years with such a sweet man! We live in Edmond, and are familiar with Guthrie; I think my sister and her husband have stayed at that exact cottage.
    Guthrie is such a surprise to come across in Oklahoma. The masonic temple is quite impressive. And there are so many cool old buildings (our favorite pictures of our girls are centered around dilapidated structures in Guthrie). Also, the town has a drive-in movie theater! So fun!
    Ok, I will stop now – I promise I don’t work for the Guthrie tourism board!

11. rrmama says:

Beautiful! So glad you had time to reconnect with Hubs! The place looked fabulous! And I don’t mind saying that I am a bit jealous. I would love to visit a place like that!

12. RLR says:

Oh, wow! Such a great husband! And, there is nothing wrong with watching John Adams. When it was on HBO, hubs and I would put the kids to bed and have our own date-night-at-home! We were hooked!
    Happy Anniversary!

13. Kristen says:

What a wonderful spot! My husband and I also watched John Adams and thought is excellent. Glad you had a wonderful weekend.

14. Blessed says:

I’d say Hubby did a good job!
    That reminds me a little of the place we stayed at for our honeymoon… such perfection has yet to be met. But, we’ve only been married for almost 10 years – so there is hope for future weekends πŸ™‚

15. Sarah K says:

Major props to Hubby. How wonderful that you were able to spend your anniversary together at such a charming place. It looks like a dream come true.

16. Sally says:

That looks like just the kind of place my hubby and I need to get away. His job is very stressful and he is in major need of a weekend getaway.
    Our 23rd anniversary is in July, maybe I can plan a special getaway for us like you had. Except we live in Ohio, so Oklahoma is bit far….lol!!

17. Jenni says:

That looks absolutely amazing!! What a fine hubs you have, Shannon. I’m glad you had such a nice getaway!
    I’m dying to get my hands on that John Adams series, myself, lol…and it’s not TOO far off the mark to be romantic; if you know anything about his own relationship with Abigail, then you know the home fires definitely burned brightly between them!

18. Camille says:

Oh, wow! The outside of that cabin definitely doesn’t do it justice. I was all prepared for a snarky post, then spent the next 5 minutes with my mouth open as I drooled over the pictures. You are one lucky girl! Happy Anniversary!

19. Holly says:

I may just have to visit those outskirts of Guthrie someday. I never would have guessed that simple cabin was hiding all those delightful things on the inside.
    I LOVED the John Adams miniseries–now I want to read the book. Or maybe just watch it again.

20. spiritmom says:

Our 14th is next month, and we finally got grandparents to agree to 2 nights of babysitting! Only our second time since kids to be alone! I can’t wait!

21. Jenn says:

Ummmmm, is that not the cutest place ever? I think is. Oh how I wish I lived closer to Oklahoma!
    Glad you had a nice anniversary weekend πŸ™‚

22. Shannon says:

Wow! I just told hubby about this. We happen to be in Oklahoma for the next 7 months and he just said, “So, when do you wanna go?” πŸ˜€
    YIPEE!

23. nicole says:

I want to go there now. Right now. Lovely place. And John Adams is excellent. Read the book, you’ll learn even more stuff you didn’t know you were so interested in until you started reading. The actor who played Thomas Jefferson was fantastic, I thought.

24. Joelle says:

What a darling, romantic place! I wanna find a cute little place like that to go for our anniversary (we’re just two years along, still newlyweds). I wonder if they have such here? I don’t think I’m quite willing to fly all the way to OK for that… πŸ˜‰ But if I’m ever driving through there, I just might have to stop by!

25. Sarah @ Short Stop says:

Oh, Shannon. WOW! That place looks amazing.
    I’m so happy for you – three kids into parenthood and I know how special and restful these kinds of weekend are. And, how rare. Thank you for sharing the pictures!

26. BeckyA says:

Awesome little place! Hubby and I are celebrating our 15th anniversary this year too…and somehow we planned a trip with kids and cousins, right over our anniversary…how did that happen!
    Now to figure out how to get my husband to your blog…hmmm…

27. JenC says:

Congratulations on your anniversary! Your little getaway looks like the cabins we stayed in when we got married 10 years ago (only ours was in Eureka Springs). I remember them delivering our food and the quiet, and then turning to my new husband & asking him if we could just live there! He may have been having some second thoughts about his new wife’s domestic skills at that point, but it was truly a relaxing place.

28. Rebecca says:

Now I have to google Guthrie, OK which is something I *never* imagined doing! Also, what is the name of this place? It looks just so..so..perfect in every way! I’d love to check out their website (if they have one).
    So glad you had such a nice relaxing stay away from it all. You deserve it! Congrats on 15 years!

29. June Williams says:

This place is totally awesome! All the cabins are just great..hubby and I have stayed at all but one and we love them. We try to go either to the B&B or Aarons gate at least once a year…sometimes twice πŸ™‚ I helps us remember just what it is we love about each other.

30. Lenore Buth says:

Congratulations and blessings! How lovely of your husband to come up with such a sweet surprise.
    My husband and I have been married multiple decades–and happily. The best part about a good marriage is that the place doesn’t make the celebration…your marriage does.
    We’re blessed to share faith in Jesus, too, so we’re not on our own. Take it from me, love and marriage can keep getting better with every passing year. I think that’s why God intended it to be for life. It takes that long…

31. SaraG says:

What a sweet place – looks wonderful!
    Best Part for me? The Sonic drink poised on the Hot Tub – now that’s relaxing!! πŸ™‚

32. Gego says:

Wow! What an incredible Man, Husband, and Father YOU have taught him to be.
    Belatedly, HAPPY 15th!!!!!
    I love you both so much, Gego

33. Dayna says:

For our first anniversary, my husband surprised me for a weekend getaway to a murder mystery B&B in Guthrie. It was great! It also started a tradition of alternating who gets to plan our anniversary celebration each year. My turn is next May, so I may take a closer look at Aaron’s Gate. Thanks for the idea!

34. Beth C says:

I have occassionally stalked your blog in the past, and I have to say it’s a wonderful blog. I, too, live in Oklahoma, and my husband and I go to the Arcadian every year for our anniversary. Last year, we spent our anniversary at the french hen, too. Wasn’t it just so wonderful?! Well, I just wanted to say thanks for the great blog, and it’s great to meet fellow bloggers in OK!

35. Libbi says:

Isn’t Aaron’s Gate just wonderful ?? We are regulars there, making a once a year trip there every January for a “renewal” of our marriage. Our anniversary is in May, so that’s not the reason.
    We stayed in the French Hen this past January, and I have already booked this coming January at one of the other cottages. It will be our fourth visit to either the Arcadian Inn or Aaron’s Gate.
    I’ve looked for other places to go, but nothing quite matches up.
    Cudos to your hubby for finding it and taking you there.