Works For Me: Strawberry Pie

WfmwbannerKRISTEN Kristen is hosting a themed edition of Works-For-Me Wednesday today, and she's asking if we'd like to share a summer recipe.  Mine is for strawberry pie, and I will happily share the recipe, but I WILL NOT SHARE THE PIE.  If you don't believe me, ask the eight-year-old boy I tackled this afternoon when he approached my fridge.

I made this for a church picnic over the weekend; it makes two, which means I could take one to share and I could keep one at home for my family me.

So here it is, the pie which all other pies want to be when they grow up:

STRAWBERRY PIE

2 containers fresh strawberries, sliced and washed
2 pie shells (homemade, if you're fancy, store-bought if you're me)
17 oz Sprite or 7-Up
1 pkg strawberry Jell-o
1 1/2 cup sugar
5 tbsp cornstarch

Bake pie crust, set aside to cool.

In a sauce pan, bring Sprite, sugar and cornstarch to a bowl.  Cook over low heat until it thickens (5-10 minutes).

Remove pan from heat.  Stir in Jell-o until dissolved.  Mix in sliced strawberries.  Chill mixture in fridge for 20 minutes.

Remove from fridge and pour into two pie shells.  Cover with saran wrap and chill for at least three hours before serving.

For more great summer recipes, visit Kristen at We Are THAT Family!

42 thoughts on “Works For Me: Strawberry Pie

1. Gena says:

Forgot to tell you I dedicated my post today to you, Big Mama, Boo Mama, and the Pioneer Woman. Still dreaming about the trip you all took……

2. Lee @ foodie plus 4 says:

We picked strawberries last week and just finished our strawberry pie yesterday. Unfortunately, I had to share. Sharing pie is not natural.
    Thanks for the recipe – it’s a bit different from ours.

3. Donnetta says:

YUM! Strawberry pie is a favorite around here! We usually just buy the glaze to put over the berries.
    I’m definitely going to have to try this recipe! Nothing says summertime like fresh strawberry pie!!

4. Ann Voskamp @ Holy Experience says:

This was my mother-in-law’s recipe…. She made it for our wedding reception, dozens and dozens of these pies lined up on tables under that big tent in the back yard. Now our girl picks the strawberries in the garden so our boy can make this same recipe… and we top them all with a heaping dollop of whip cream…
    How the story of a pie recipe can bring such happy tears…. connecting us to people and long ago times that are only memories now.
    Thank you, Shannon…. good to share this recipe with you — even if you won’t share the pie! ~wink, smile~
    Love to you and your bruised boy ~wink~,
    Ann

5. Eight says:

My Stepmother has made three from this recipe in the last week, and I am not complaining! Toss in other berries for extra fun.

6. Mari says:

i remember this pie from when i was a younger. my mom’s family lives in on the glf coast of alabama and we would visit them every summer for several weeks. iremember my aunt making this pie. she used 7-up, but it’s the same pie. i can’t wait to make it tomorrow.
    a few weeks ago my 6 sisters and i were gathered for a week of girl time at my younger sister’s home in las vegas. we talked about the strawberry pie our aunt made (and peach jello made with buttermilk if anyone has that recipe?) i must email my sisters and let them know you provided the recipe.
    thank you so very much. i am very happy.