A Few Random Thoughts, Because I Haven’t Had a Complete Thought Since July

Even though this blog is utterly dead silent (do I hear crickets chirping?), I am writing many hours a day on this TypePad book. Many, many hours–hours I should probably be spending feeding my family something other than hot dogs and chips…again. Deadlines wait for no one, though, so hot dogs it is, and my family has been one big, collective good sport about it. While I can't say I'd be an advocate of operating at such a frenzied pace indefinitely, it's been good for my family to pull together for a common cause. They're pitching in, helping Mom get a job done well (and quickly), and I'm thankful to them. When it's all over, I hope we all have a great sense of accomplishment. And may we never, ever eat another hot dog again.

Speaking of the book, we're officially listed at Amazon now. When I learned that, I did not squeal or freak out or call Melanie because I am much too calm and professional to act that way. Ahem.

Let's see, what else. Ah yes, I almost turned into a pancake this week, driving my kids home from school during a massive thunderstorm. We crept along at a snail's pace (zero visibility, but just enough to see the STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS, which is never good). Suddenly, a giant oak crashed across the road, less than 50 feet from our van.

Branches from other trees started pelting down all around us, and it began to hail. Thankfully, I had watched the movie Twister only days before, so I was fully equipped for a Dramatic Weather Emergency. "LEAN TO THE MIDDLE OF THE CAR!" I shouted over the pelting hail, and the kids did just that. I swung that van around more like Jack Bauer than a happy housewife, and I floored it off that tree-lined street, dodging airborne branches the whole time. I glanced in the rear-view mirror to see the 10-year-old hovering protectively his 4-year-old sister, and I thought to myself that since we were surely about to die I was glad I could remember this about him, as opposed to the smell of the soccer cleats he left in my car all day.

We finally got off the Giant Tree-Lined Death Trap and parked in a neighborhood with no trees. I sat there, eyes closed, breathing an overwhelmed prayer of thankfulness. The eight-year-old's quiet voice whispered, "Mom?" I turned to look at him. "That was WICKED cool."

I'm glad I could entertain, son.

Last thing: my friend Scott (my husband's old high school friend, actually, but I've adopted him) is one of the only 3.7 male readers of this blog, and he sent me a link to share with you. It's the Dude Perfect guys, performing some unreal stunts, all in the name of–what else?–Compassion. You've got to see it.

24 thoughts on “A Few Random Thoughts, Because I Haven’t Had a Complete Thought Since July

1. Kathleen says:

“We’ve got debris!” Like Jeana, happy you saw no flying cows. And also happy you’re not a pancake. Oh, and so glad you got to do something so utterly cool for your son.
    Congrats on all of your hard work on the book!

2. Zen Mama says:

This sounds weird but I miss those terrifying storms in Oklahoma. I’m a true sittin’ on the front porch watching the tornados pass by with a corndog in my mouth kinda Okie.
    Glad you’re okay and even happier you got to see your little guy ‘man up’ to protect his sister. Perhaps an indication of things to come….

3. Linda says:

I’m glad you had time to write this. You never fail to uplift and encourage and make me smile. I’m glad you’re part super-Mom. That was an amazing stunt. I would have been greatly impressed too!
    Blessings on the writing.

4. Linda Sue says:

LOVE the car stunt – I also thought “cow”
    Thanks for promoting the Dudes – that is such a hoot. Been missing you but for a season you are doing something else! We’ll be here when you come back.

5. Jo@Mylestones says:

Now where did a good southern boy pick up a phrase like “wicked cool”? πŸ™‚
    I would have loved to hear that common New England phrase spoken with a southern drawl! πŸ™‚
    Congratulations on the book. No doubt it’s worth all those hot dog dinners!

6. Erin Kepka says:

Oh! You never cease to amaze me πŸ™‚ I haven’t had much time for reading but I’m home sick today and thought I’d pop in to see what you were up to doing. Now I feel like a wimp!
    Storm-chasing, working mom on Amazon, whilst blogging, oh my!
    PS – At the start of the school year, I sponsered my 3rd child from Compassion. You got the ball rolling and I’m so glad! Thank you for continually reminding people, gently and curteously, to keep Compassion and their kids in mind!
    ~Erin in Chicago

7. Erin Kepka says:

PS…please excuse my spelling! I didn’t proofread, as I was so excited! πŸ™‚
    That should be sponsored…and courteously!

8. Mindy says:

Congrats on the Amazon listing! That’s great!
    It’s a good thing you had just watched Twister. That was definitely fateful preparation. Even with the prepwork, that’s still really scary. Glad you all survived, and that it was entertaining. πŸ™‚