Because Regular Pumpkin Pie Is Just Plain Dull

This a rerun–I originally posted this last Thanksgiving. But a recipe this life-changing deserves a rerun. Enjoy!
I come from a long line of women who do not like to cook.  I hold tightly to
this genetic predisposition to get the heck out of the kitchen as fast
as I can.  It is a fine heritage.(Incidentally, it was once a source of significant stress that I married a man who came from a long line of women who love to cook.  Their family recipes, handed down for generations, involve sifting things, and using thermometers, and grating lemon zest.  My family recipes involve instant pudding.)Truly, though, it is a lovely thing that my favorite family recipes are so simple.  The very best one is the one my grandmother made for Thanksgiving every year.  It is so unbelievably good–but be warned.  Once you eat it, you may never be able to go back to regular pumpkin pie again.

And before we begin, I should point out that the best part of the
deal is the little mini, tart-sized pie-shells.  Usually they are
located in the freezer section.  The day after Thanksgiving, I’d always
go over to my grandmother’s house, and we’d sit on her couch and eat
all the empty pie shells like potato chips.

Clearly, I also have a genetic heritage involving carbohydrates.

Recipeheader

1 15-oz can pumpkin
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ginger
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1 3.4-oz box instant vanilla pudding
2 cups milk

Blend all ingredients well, using a whisk.  Cover and
refrigerate until chilled.  Prepare small, tart-sized pie shells (both
the frozen pastry variety or the graham cracker variety work well).
Before serving, spoon pumpkin mixture into tart shells.  Top with
whipped topping and serve.

14 thoughts on “Because Regular Pumpkin Pie Is Just Plain Dull

1. Kelly says:

I remember when you posted this last year and I wanted to try it. I might be making yet another trip to the store before tomorrow.
    The link to your grandmother’s passing right around your wedding = precious. Made me cry the second time too. Also made me realize how much I miss your regular blog posts. You are such a gifted writer. Happy Thanksgiving!

2. wanda says:

I’m with you…….plain ole pumpkin pie just won’t do!
    Love the recipe. Sounds delicious!
    Last year I found the greatest pumpkin crunch recipe! Amazing! I think I may have even heard angels wings!
    🙂

3. Megan says:

I grew up thinking scalloped potatoes could only be made from a box. I totally get this post.
    And your pie sounds yummy. If I hadn’t already eaten almost an entire chocolate pie all by myself I might give it a go…
    Happy Thanksgiving!!

4. Jeannette says:

I remember this from last year and I’m grossed out all over again! 🙂 But then, I like to use an actual pumpkin in my pie. (Crust homemade, sifted and measured.) But you enjoy that pie.

5. ruth says:

I’m with you. Even if it sounded good, that doesn’t seem like nearly enough pudding mix to thicken the other stuff. And I like my pumpkin, um, cooked. Sifting is fun… it’s how I started training my kids in to bake. I used to cook up our Halloween pumpkins and freeze the stuff… unfortunately, squirrels got our pumpkins this year.

6. eve says:

I made the impossible pumpkin pie this year. It is supposed to form it’s own crust but it doesn’t really. It is more like a Flan but really good. I put whipped cream on top, drizzeled it with caramel sauce and sprinkled crushed ginger snaps on top. It was really good and now it is really gone. LOL..DH just finished it. No one noticed it didn’t have a crust.