Ho, Ho, Ho (and Other Things I’m Thinkin’)

A sheepish "thank you" to those of you who have dropped a note to ask if my lack of posting means that something is terribly wrong.

Things are, in fact, terribly right these days–the book is done (DONE, I tell you, DONE!) and it's off to the printer. I'm so giddy with the new-found freedom that I've celebrated by alternately plowing through my reading list and learning to crochet (and by "learning to crochet", of course, I mean "looping  a bunch of sloppy knots, but gosh, it's fun.") The kids are out of school and they're helping me with holiday preparations (and by "helping", of course, I mean "not really helping at all, but gosh, they're cute"). We're staring down the barrel of an especially action-packed holiday season this year–details to follow, once all the dust has settled.

In the meantime, as a very tiring 2009 draws to a close, I find myself feeling a little reflective about this silly blog o' mine. It started as a hobby, grew into a "job," and it's mercifully, gently settling back into a hobby again, for which I'm profoundly grateful. I've learned so much about setting limits this year; perhaps I'll write on it once I grab hold of the right words. Thank you for bearing with me during a busy, chaotic year, and for the frequent doses of encouragement and laughter you've sent me at just the right time.

I just yawned, which reminds me that, yet again, I've stayed up too late, cramming in all the last-minute Things Which Must Be Done. The presents are sloppily wrapped, and the kitchen floor is covered with sprinkles from our (highly unsuccessful) foray into holiday baking today. The kids played too many video games, and the 8yo has been throwing up all evening. I sigh to remember how I was crabby when I should've been kind today, how I was rushed when I should've paid attention. I'm beginning to think my decades-long tradition of falling short at Christmas may actually be by design: if I had it all together, I suppose I wouldn't have needed a certain Baby to come and rescue me from my own messes.

So I'll sit here, picking cookie sprinkles off the bottoms of my feet, and I'll think about the manger. I'll say a prayer for peace and rest for those of you who are fighting hard battles right now–I know there are many of you.  And I'll think on this, by lovely Madeleine:

He came to a  world which did not mesh,
to heal its tangles, shield its scorn.
In the mystery of the Word made Flesh
the Maker of the stars was born.

We cannot wait till the world is sane
to raise our songs with joyful voice,
for to share our grief, to touch our pain,
He came with Love: Rejoice! Rejoice!

Be merry, my friends–I'll see you back here in the new year.

39 thoughts on “Ho, Ho, Ho (and Other Things I’m Thinkin’)

1. Lainie@ Mishmash Maggie says:

Merry Christmas to you Shannon! And your family too. πŸ™‚
    Celebrating with you on the completion of the book but more so for reclaiming balance between blog and life.
    May 2010 be abundantly blessed as another adventure unfolds.

2. Jo@Mylestones says:

Oh I love me some Madeleine. Thank you for sharing.
    And as much as I’m delighted to see you back here, I’m even more delighted to hear that things are falling into balance again. You certainly know what is important–may you enjoy those important things (people!) immensely in this season.

3. MemeGRL says:

Congratulations on a job well done. We miss you here but cheer you on in the real life that you graciously share here.
    The poem brought tears to my eyes and I fully expect to steal/borrow it (with proper attribution, of course). Thank you for sharing that.
    May 2010 bring you and your family blessings untold!

4. prasti says:

congrats on your the completion of your book!
    we are fighting off some illnesses here too (the usual runny noses, congestion, and throw in a fever for good measure).
    i hope you and your family have a glorious christmas celebrating the birth of our wonderful Savior and enjoying one another.

5. RLR says:

Thanks for sharing! I have been lamenting how far behind I feel in my preparations. This sentence – “I’m beginning to think my decades-long tradition of falling short at Christmas may actually be by design: if I had it all together, I suppose I wouldn’t have needed a certain Baby to come and rescue me from my own messes.” – meant such a lot to me.
    Merry, Merry Christmas, and I look forward to more from you in the New Year!

6. kay says:

Love that you have shared your very human day, but closed your reflections with very lovely sentiments about the One who makes it all ok. Merry Christmas!
    Kay

7. Robin Sampson says:

I know how you feel. Giving birth to a book is a loooong labor. I saw you had 14 weeks to write 18 chapters. WOW. Who cooked and cleaned at your house πŸ˜‰
    Congradulations and glad to know you are OK.
    Blessings,
    Robin

8. Rhonda says:

I have been reading your blog this year, though I haven’t yet commented (I don’t think). I have truly enjoyed your posts (on everything from your husband scoring your favorite lipstick to that hilarious ralphing pumpkin). I look forward to reading more in the coming year.
    I too, never have it together at Christmas. And really, we ALL need that Baby.
    A blessed Christmas to you and your family.

9. mzzterry says:

Just dropped by to WISH YOU A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS**~~**~~ THANK YOU FOR BEING MY BLOGGY FRIEND~~**~~** I always feel better after I stop be here….thanks, Shannon!!

10. Jamie says:

“if I had it all together, I suppose I wouldn’t have needed a certain Baby to come and rescue me from my own messes”
    What a beautiful way to express this… something that I’m struggling right now- being human and thus flawed and what an awesome gift God gave us because of it all. I’m working as much as I can to be a gracious recipient of that gift this holiday season.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

11. BlueCastle says:

Congrats on finishing your book! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas, and if you do get around to writing about blogging and your perspective on it and your experience – blogging as a hobby vs. as a job – I would be very interested to read it. Some days I feel very overwhelmed and wonder how other women blog daily while staying sane and being a good mother and wife. My little blog is suffering as I simply haven’t been able to juggle it all at the present time. πŸ™‚

12. A Maui Blog says:

A blessed Christmas to you Shannon and Family. You’ve been a blessing to me (yes you through your blog), and I want to thank you for that. I am glad the book is done. Enjoy your family, and see you in 2010 πŸ™‚ Aloha!
    Liza

13. Lenore Buth says:

Congratulations on finishing your book, Shannon. I know how that pushes one to the brink!
    You talked about all the Christmas prep and trying to do it all…I never make it, either. (That’s what I wrote about in my last blog-post.)I think all we can do is try to live in love and rejoice that Jesus came for us sinners.
    Merry, blessed Christ-mas. Enjoy your time with your children gathered around. Sooner than you can imagine on “those” days, they’ll fly the coop. (Then you’ll have another set of “if onlys.”)

14. Sandy says:

Darn, I just gave away a “learn how to crochet” book LOL. Congrats, my friend. So proud of you!
    Hope you have fun plans for the New Year! (I’ve decided to not go to Bliss this year):(